13 members have voted

1. 1. Vote your opinion!

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I haven't bought much this year, but every now and then, a set really catches my eye. The 2011 series have been quite creative so far, with new and expanded themes, and the additions to Atlantis are no exception. And then I met the Angler Fish

797801.jpg

Set#: 7978

Name: Angler Attack

Theme: Atlantis

Year: 2011

Pieces: 200

Minifigs: 2; Atlantis Diver 6 and Atlantis Barracuda Warrior

Price: ¥2,664

MSP: U.S.$ 19.99, £18.99

Peeron

Brickset

Bricklink

The box

The box shows your typical action shot. Atlantic Diver 6 is about to die. I like the Greek columns they used. The addition of those columns really changed how positively I view this series.

797802.jpg

As the diver raids the Atlantean treasure, the angler swoops in to deliver some aquatic justice.

797803.jpg

The booklets

The cover is the same as the box, and the assembly is typically simplified as it's a slightly younger-targeting theme.

797804.jpg

The Pieces

There are a nice selection of forest green and lime green pieces. Nothing particularly outstanding, though the column pieces are already a favorite.

797805.jpg

A small bit of leftovers at the end, including spare flippers.

797806.jpg

There's a sticker sheet, as per usual. The green scales add a lot to the fish, so I placed them, but the red ones aren't necessary.

797807.jpg

The barracuda is awesome. One massive sculpted head, with a gaping mouth hole in it. It's not too top heavy.

797808.jpg

So cute.

797809.jpg

The diver is a nice new head, and has a nice full quality body print. I'm really impressed at the current minifigs coming out in non-licensed sets. They've really improved over the last few years.

797810.jpg

If I make a diorama where a right-wing politician is caught with their secret gay lover, this is the face I will use. Nice mustache.

797811.jpg

The Finished Product

There is a little set piece. Frankly, I have enough treasure chests at the moment. But, the metallic helmet is high quality, and I want more and more of these column pieces!

797812.jpg

There is a nice technique to making the column look dilapidated.

797813.jpg

Of the four Atlantis sets I have, this is the most inconsequential vehicle. It's not out of place, Diver 6 can do a little recon mission with it, but it's not much.

797814.jpg

It is well made, I like the red and green translucent pieces lining the inside, and it is asymmetrical.

797815.jpg

The star of the set is the angler fish. If you don't know what an angler fish is, shame on you for not knowing your deep sea fish. I'll let you check out the Wikipedia page on them before continuing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglerfish

They are one of the biggest freaks of nature. Terrifying.

797816.jpg

This thing is beautiful. It's densely built, has moving fins and a tail, and of course a lure on top. And a gangster style gold tooth.

797817.jpg

The stickers add a lot of texture to the set.

797818.jpg

WAAH!

797819.jpg

The bottom jaw has a rubber joint, and by pulling the switch at the bottom, you can open its mouth.

797820.jpg

The build techniques are really clever. The eyes sit on a pivot joint, on a pivot tile.

797821.jpg

So, they're able to sit facing diagonally.

797822.jpg

The Final Verdict

797823.jpg

Design: 10/10 This fish is great. The other two parts are really negligible, but they are about 20 pieces together. The fish has a really organic design. I'm impressed.

Build: 9/10 Not predictable. Not difficult. Not boring.

Playability: 10/10 This is all you could hope for in a $20 set. A good guy, a bad guy (though I don't know which are which; it seems the humans are the thieves), plus a mega fish.

Minifigures: 9/10 I'm satisfied with the two. For the price, one more might be nice.

Price: 10/10 This is a very fair priced set; for the colors and the molds.

Overall: 10/10 I like it. I'm going to keep it built a long while. In my years of collecting, this is one of the more idiosyncratic sets I've ever seen. Highly recommended.

I wasn't interested in Atlantis sets at all when they debuted, and now, it's one of the series I find most interesting. This set only keeps that interest going!

And that's why you never follow dangly lights.

797824.jpg

Thanks for the great review, def!

I knew I wanted to get this set the first time I saw a box shot of the angler fish. I think it's a really clever build, and the angler fish has so much going for it. With the movable eyes, jaws and fins you can make it look gruesome, fearsome or just plain crazy :laugh:

Thanks again!

I'm not really into the Atlantis theme, but if I were to purchase a set, I'd probably grab this one. The Angler Fish is visually interesting and really well done. Coupled with the cool new fish monster/creature and the standard Atlantis diver, this has got to be my most favorite set among the Atlantis line-up.

Thanks for sharing this excellent review def!

If I make a diorama where a right-wing politician is caught with their secret gay lover, this is the face I will use. Nice mustache.

:laugh:

I love this set, but oddly it's one of the few Atlantis sets I haven't bought yet. Thanks for the review! :wub:

Lovely review, def! :wub:

I agree, that angler fish is ingeniously designed. I love the googly eyes. I'm not sure what it's doing in the shallow regions where divers can exist, but hey *must suspend disbelief*.

Nice review, def! The Angler is nicely designed, and the Barracuda warrior is brilliant. This is quite a good set, I might get it. Thanks again for the review!

:laugh:

*off topic* By the way, is there any reason that some people avatars, names, signatures and member titles are upside down?

Edited by Gregorovich

I’m really addict in Atlantis theme and angler fish is my most like Lego sea creature collections.default_laugh_new.gifall_cor_b_06.jpg

Edited by AppleLEGO

I am a castle fan, but I like this set very much. The angler fish is very creative and shows how much LEGO has advanced over the last three years. Thanks for the review!

This is one of the best $20 sets I've seen. The angler is beautiful, the barracuda warrior is one of the greatest minifigs ever, and the small bit of scenery is very well done. The kids love to play with the fish - oh, hell, I love to play with the fish - and there are a ton of useful parts in the set. Most sets this size might give you one or two unusual pieces, but this one is packed!