CloudCity91

MOC: Darth Vader's Star Destroyer Playset

gallery_101_23_281.gif

A month or so ago I was in Chicago and I picked up a 2nd Death Star for two reasons. A) I wanted the mini figures so I could fill up my 1st DS better and B) To have a ton of brand new Lego to build my 1st MOC. I knew I really wanted to build a playset featuring the gathering of the Bounty Hunters on the Star Destroyer Avenger.

Although I liked my first "bridge" the "trench was too tall for the minifigs to be in scale and to my wifes horror I broke it all up.

lexieandhoth137.jpg

lexieandhoth138.jpg

So instead I expanded on the bridge, scaled it correctly and gave it a roof etc etc and sent some pics over to Killerbee and it was done. With all the extra pieces I still had left over I started to build my own Star Destroyer but didn't have enough pieces to finish it correctly. I was pretty upset but then the next day I thought to myself why not attach my bridge to my SD hull and create a vintage style Kenner Darth Vader's Star Destroyer playset. I had never seen that done before and thought it would be kind of unique.

lexieandhoth158.jpg

To add to my MOC, I also totally destroyed a Lego Thomas the Train Lego store display and modified it to a SW Lego display as well. It's like two MOC's in one :)

lexieandhoth148.jpg

lexieandhoth149.jpg

lexieandhoth150.jpg

lexieandhoth151.jpg

lexieandhoth152.jpg

lexieandhoth153.jpg

lexieandhoth154.jpg

lexieandhoth155.jpg

lexieandhoth156.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Jim

Edited by KielDaMan
Indexed

This looks promising! If you replace all the [image] with (and the reverse for [/image]) then the pictures will show up in the post :wink:

This looks promising! If you replace all the [image] with (and the reverse for [/image]) then the pictures will show up in the post :wink:

Just did...thanks for the tip.

Jim

A good first MOC however the meeting was on the Executor :wink:. I love the little engineering room underneath.

First let me assure you of one thing: I don't think there's anyone here who would just snicker at a creation. We might tell you what's wrong and such, but most of us won't tell you it's just bad and say nothing else.

That said, this has potential, and it looks like it had a lot of playability. The DS doesn't have a huge variety of pieces, so I think for something built from just that set this is really well done.

Snickering ? Hmmm what's that ? Here its a choco and nuts candy bar :laugh:

Okay, I can see the bridge, looks promising, but, I see a lot ( and I mean really a lot ) of work here for the bridge.

Executor on wiki, with bridge

:sweet: Click there ! :sweet: That's the bridge of the Executor

I don't want to upset you, but you have the potential to work it out a lot further than what you have build, you can still incorporate a lot of your own stuff, but I think it's half done.

I see you've put it in a LEGO display, why not make it a full 360 showcase ? ad more decks and ( or ) some weird looking SW stuff ( like the space you've build )

Sorry if it's sounding hard, I try to give you some constructive criticism , after all it's your MOC, note mine

Grtz Saint

First let me assure you of one thing: I don't think there's anyone here who would just snicker at a creation. We might tell you what's wrong and such, but most of us won't tell you it's just bad and say nothing else.

Agreed. It's usuallly either constructive criticism or none at all.

As for this MOC... a unique approach is always nice, and as a playset I think this looks pretty fun. Removable ceilings and such would make it even better. I would agree with Saint, though, that some parts could use work. I assume this is a cutaway of the Executor's deck? If so, the large triangular windows as seen here could be cleaned up. I second the suggestion to expand and make a larger portion of the bridge, so that it may be more recognizable (and more impressive!).

I can't really see the crew pits; are there more pictures?

That looks rather good, and a pretty decent first attempt at a MOC. The idea of a playset is nice, much like the other SW sets of the same concept. Though I think it could use a few more details, like greebles and tiled floors and walls, those are the most basic suggestions I could offer right of the bat. Looking forward how this one develops.

And herein lies a lot of my problem, as I don't think the meeting with the Bounty Hunters actually took place on the 'Main Bridge" of the Executor.

Saint says this is the Bridge with whom I agree

bountyhunters5.jpg

and from another angle

bountyhunters4.jpg

But the first thing that screams out to me is that the computers are back to back to each other, secondly the "doorway area" is way too large to be the place where Vader met with the Bounty Hunters.

These are the three pics I used in reference to my MOC and hence my confusion as they (the main bridge/the bounty hunter meeting) look like they take place in two separate sections of the ship entirely.

bountyhunters.jpg

bountyhunters1.jpg

bountyhunters3.jpg

Any thoughts?

Jim

I can offer some help here.

Your own observations are skewed by that second picture, which depicts the bridge of the Avenger (an Imperial II-class Star Destroyer) and not the Executor (a star dreadnought). Look closely at the first picture you posted and you will see that the consoles are in fact set up parallel to the central walkway rather than perpendicular.

The Technical Commentaries cover this in great detail:

In The Empire Strikes Back there was a distinct difference between the layout of the main bridge crew pits of the Executor and the star destroyers. In each ship there were about six control consoles per pit. Aboard the Executor the consoles were aligned parallel to the command walkway, running fore-aft at the long edge of the pit. Aboard the smaller vessels the consoles were arranged in a fashion which is perpendicular to the walkway.

In Return of the Jedi the console arrangement of the Executor bridge had been altered. The consoles then duplicated the arrangement of the ordinary star destroyers.

So there you have it. :classic:

Edited by fallenangel309

why would Admiral Piett be on Avenger while the bounty hunters gathered? He should be on the command ship, which is Executor.

I can offer some help here.

Your own observations are skewed by that second picture, which depicts the bridge of the Avenger (an Imperial II-class Star Destroyer) and not the Executor (a star dreadnought). Look closely at the first picture you posted and you will see that the consoles are in fact set up parallel to the central walkway rather than perpendicular.

The Technical Commentaries cover this in great detail:

So there you have it. :classic:

Okay I'll accept your premise and roll with it but what about the "doorway", they are clearly not the same dimensions/scale at all?

Jim

Okay I'll accept your premise and roll with it but what about the "doorway", they are clearly not the same dimensions/scale at all?

Jim

9:55. Looks pretty good to me... though I could be wrong.

9:55. Looks pretty good to me... though I could be wrong.

Perfect, that is a perfect example. The 9:55 point is exactly where the meeting with the bountyhunters took place but the 9:42 mark is the entire bridge. If those doorways are the exact same than Vader should be able to walk straight down the bridge through the middle of the door but at the 9:55 mark he has to step to his right to make it out the door because it is much smaller and not centred in proportion to the other side of the main bridge. Is the 9:42 mark CGIed to make it look grander than it really is and the 9:55 is the real "soundstage"? It's fun that after thirty years we can still find something "new" about these movies. :)

Jim

If those doorways are the exact same than Vader should be able to walk straight down the bridge through the middle of the door but at the 9:55 mark he has to step to his right to make it out the door because it is much smaller and not centred in proportion to the other side of the main bridge.

Now this is one interested fan!

Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to point out with the doorways. I can say, though, that most of the Executor's bridge was a matte painting.

I think that what you're trying to say is that the center of the doorway lines up with the central corridor in the bounty hunter scene while in the last scene from Empire it's off to one side. I don't quite think that's the case, though; if you look at the first picture you used as reference it's evident that Vader is standing well off to one side of the central corridor, just over the edge of the portside crew pit.