persnickety

Flower arrangment Mother's Day

Does anyone have an LDD file for a flower arrangement or some roses that would be good for a Mother's Day present?? Thanks in advance.

Yes, stay in the "good graces" of your wife/girlfriend and give her a dozen roses on May 8th! :laugh:

You can also search for various Mother's Day and Flower LDD .lxf files on the Lego DesignByMe Gallery.

4603499663_c28dd77fdd_z.jpg

Edited by DLuders

There's also another (arguably nicer) model of a rose in the Design By Me sample models that ship with Lego Digital Designer.

Here you go, the Lego rose listed earlier.

legostore-2010-05-rose.png

LXF link

I think since persnickety mentioned giving it as a present he wants one he can purchase through DesignByMe. Thankfully, that model is purchasable if you replace all the 37 Bright Green parts with the correct 28 Dark Green.

I think since persnickety mentioned giving it as a present he wants one he can purchase through DesignByMe. Thankfully, that model is purchasable if you replace all the 37 Bright Green parts with the correct 28 Dark Green.

Ugh, I hate that color name. We have Bright Blue, Bright Red, Bright Yellow, Bright Orange, (Bright Violet?), but Dark Green...

Ugh, I hate that color name. We have Bright Blue, Bright Red, Bright Yellow, Bright Orange, (Bright Violet?), but Dark Green...

Yeah, Dark Green is a problem, specially since there is a Dark Green :tongue:

I can only guess that the TLG Bright colors (Danish: "Klar", meaning Pure, Bright) are those perseived as pure, and that it was thought that the Dark Green was seen as just that - dark compared to the pure, Bright Green. But who knows, maybe it was just a mistake back in those days?

Anyway, some of the TLG color names make more sence if look around Denmark. Many houses there are brick built, and specially in the 60s and 70s tan bricks was common - hence TLGs name for tan: Brick Yellow. I'm guessing that Dark Stone Grey etc can also be derived from there, but I'm not sure, so if anyone can verify that it would be good.

Another interesting color is 298 Cool Silver Drum Lacq, where Drum Lacqured is nothing more then the name of the method used for painting the brick silver (shove all brick into a huge drum, add silver paint, turn it around. Voila!)

That is quite an interesting thought about the colours Kalle!

One measly rose for Mother's Day? You really must not think your mother's are the best in the world. :tongue:

Now this...

4656467932_531197c1aa.jpg

is more like it!

But I do not have an LDD file for it as a) it is not mine and b) I'm not even sure it could be done.

One measly rose for Mother's Day? You really must not think your mother's are the best in the world. :tongue:

Now this...

*snip*

is more like it!

But I do not have an LDD file for it as a) it is not mine and b) I'm not even sure it could be done.

That sure looks a hundred times lovelier than TLG's simple version! Only shame is it has no instructions, and why do I have a feeling that it is illegally constructed (glued).

Yeah, Dark Green is a problem, specially since there is a Dark Green :tongue:

I can only guess that the TLG Bright colors (Danish: "Klar", meaning Pure, Bright) are those perseived as pure, and that it was thought that the Dark Green was seen as just that - dark compared to the pure, Bright Green. But who knows, maybe it was just a mistake back in those days?

Anyway, some of the TLG color names make more sence if look around Denmark. Many houses there are brick built, and specially in the 60s and 70s tan bricks was common - hence TLGs name for tan: Brick Yellow. I'm guessing that Dark Stone Grey etc can also be derived from there, but I'm not sure, so if anyone can verify that it would be good.

Another interesting color is 298 Cool Silver Drum Lacq, where Drum Lacqured is nothing more then the name of the method used for painting the brick silver (shove all brick into a huge drum, add silver paint, turn it around. Voila!)

LEGO's traditional color spectrum should also probably be observed. Here, it's fairly clear that Bright Green is the best fit for its position (between Bright Yellowish Green and Bright Bluish Green), even if it isn't as common as other "bright" colors:

lego_color_chart_alternate.png

Note that dark tan is Sand Yellow, old brown is Earth Orange, and Dark Red, Dark Orange, and Dark Green are the only ones in this spectrum actually called Dark-- other colors AFOLs call dark fall under the Earth label. Old Pink and Dark Pink are Light Reddish Violet and Medium Reddish Violet, respectively, whereas magenta-- the only of the three colors still with us today-- is Bright Reddish Violet.

Please, please don't ask me what Brick Red was ever used for, because I have to admit I have no idea. It's color #4, placing it sequentially with Brick Yellow but also near a number of other obscure colors which LDD may not even be rendering correctly to appear as they do in real life. Also don't ask me about Light Brick Yellow-- sequentially, it's probably from a girls' theme, but I couldn't give you any examples.

Aanchir - what was Brick Red used for?

:grin:

No, but seriously. Another very common brick color (once again the clay brick, not the LEGO brick) in Denmark is the red, so I guess that is the reason why it's called brick red. Could it be the color "rust red"?

Here some pics of house in typical Danish design (even though I think the yellow one is actually swedish).

annetorp_1.jpg

phpv2irsf.jpg

16152_P5186658_NY.JPG

Interesting theory on the colors, Superkalle. And it does make sense on Aanchir's chart... Oh, and Superkalle, there is a Rust color. (216)

I'm hurt you would say that! :) Does this work instead?

rosebunch.png

And I have to admit, the hardest part of working with LDD is dealing with color, some are just hard to tell apart at times.

Thanks to all for the ideas. I was a bit under the weather since I made my post and haven't been able to respond. So, thanks again.

I will use the single rose as a template, however, I was thinking more of several roses in a vase using the clear legos for a vase. If anyone has anything similar, I'd love to see it.

I have some real large opening type vases from years of buying commercially exploited Valentines day roses. So, maybe several single roses with some white blocks to simulate the "baby's breath" usually added to spruce up an arrangement of roses. I'll definitely post what I come up with...I'm off to the lab to come up with my creation. :)

I got an e-mail from the Lego VIP Program today, and it had a daffodil flower that has these Building Instructions (only available for the next 7 days, but in time for Mother's Day 2011).

fun_1.jpg

I got an e-mail from the Lego VIP Program today, and it had a daffodil flower that has these Building Instructions (only available for the next 7 days, but in time for Mother's Day 2011).

fun_1.jpg

Lovely small models

Do you have the other building instructions as well?

(Maybe they are even in our "official sets" topic - I haven't even checked :blush:)

Do you have the other building instructions as well?

If DLuders doesn't, you can see all the little cards they gave away for the US Brand Store MINI Builds here.

If DLuders doesn't, you can see all the little cards they gave away for the US Brand Store MINI Builds here.

Thanks brickdoctor

In regards to the Daffodil's Building Instructions (referenced in the posts above), here's what Lego Customer Service wrote to me:

"The Monthly Mini-builds on our web site aren't made available until the day after the in-store building event. The building event is taking place today, May 03, 2011. You will be able to access the building instructions beginning May 04, 2011 through May 10, 2011."

@ Superkalle: No, I don't have any other flower designs.

Edited by DLuders

That sure looks a hundred times lovelier than TLG's simple version! Only shame is it has no instructions, and why do I have a feeling that it is illegally constructed (glued).

I did spend a bit of time trying to reverse engineer this. It is certainly possible to build the roses without using any illegal construction techniques (e.g. glue) though the actual result is a bit fragile. I was not able to make a complete LXF due to some LDD quirks but you can get most of it done in LDD...

post-9812-130457199943.jpg