Sign in to follow this  
Legostein

Dash Rendar's Outrider (MINI YT-2400 Transport)

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Hello everybody!

This week, I'd like to show another famous freighter to you. :classic: We've rcently seen Han Solo's Millennium Falcon, and now it's time for Dash Rendar's Outrider, a YT-2400 transport (reference link). The ship first appears in "Shadows of the Empire", an exciting novel taking place between "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi", but was later included in the Special Edition of "A New Hope". It there can be seen taking off from Mos Eisley Spaceport on Tattooine. :classic:

The YT-2400 is an asymmetric design with unique shape. To realise the two laser turrets (as for the Millennium Falcon), a stud inversion was neccesary. This was realised by using hooks which are one plate high. The ball at the end of the hook disappears nicely into the stud notches. As a nice side feature, they add a greebly effect. :classic:

outrider-01.jpg

outrider-03.jpg

outrider-05.jpg

outrider-07.jpg

outrider-09.jpg

outrider-10.jpg

With that I am done for today. :classic:

Thanks for stepping by, and have a great week!

Yours Christopher

Edited by KielDaMan
Indexed

Another AWESOME micro creation from you 'Legostein', the master of the micro SW's ! :grin:

May the brick be with you ! :grin:

Absolutely beautiful. You have done it again Legostein! Definitely keep up the good mini work. Great likeness to the real thing!

Keep on Brickin'

~ Bayonet

Very nice work, Legostein! The hooks are nicely integrated, and this looks like it'd fit right in with your MF.

Haha, I read the book and played the video game when I was a kid. The title for both was "Shadows of the Empire" and the game was one of the first 3 or 4 games for the N64. Please don't take offense to this, but in hindsight, the Dash Rendar character and his ship are basically just clones of Han Solo. It was as if it was too much trouble to talk Lucasfilm into allowing the use of Han Solo, so instead they just made up a new character so they could do what they wanted.

It's times like these when I remind myself why I don't collect SW lego. I was enough of a SW geek back then that if I started collecting, it would just ruin my pocketbook. *sigh*

That's a really nice little MOC. I like the use of the binoculars and the array with the technic pin is surprisingly articulated and varied. Where does that printed tile come from? Another SW set?

Haha, I read the book and played the video game when I was a kid. The title for both was "Shadows of the Empire" and the game was one of the first 3 or 4 games for the N64. Please don't take offense to this, but in hindsight, the Dash Rendar character and his ship are basically just clones of Han Solo. It was as if it was too much trouble to talk Lucasfilm into allowing the use of Han Solo, so instead they just made up a new character so they could do what they wanted.

It's times like these when I remind myself why I don't collect SW lego. I was enough of a SW geek back then that if I started collecting, it would just ruin my pocketbook. *sigh*

There's always something else to ruin your pocketbook on. Yeah, I sort of agree that Dash is basically a Han clone, but the overall story was very good. So good, in fact, that Lucas snuck the Outrider into the Special Edition of A New Hope. It's an awesome ship, even if it's similar to the Falcon.

Please don't take offense to this, but in hindsight, the Dash Rendar character and his ship are basically just clones of Han Solo. It was as if it was too much trouble to talk Lucasfilm into allowing the use of Han Solo, so instead they just made up a new character so they could do what they wanted.

I agree that Dash was another Han, but I doubt he was invented so they didn't have to ask Lucasfilm to use Han. Shadows was a multimedia campaign similar to Republic Commando's, created by Lucasfilm, and Han does appear in the series. I think the only reason Han wasn't used was that Han was at the time frozen in carbonite.

Fair enough on the Han Solo clone issue. I did enjoy the character and ship also. I had no idea that it made an appearance in the special edition movies. I liked the wise-cracking droid too; he had the vocal skills of C-3PO and the sense of humor of R2D2.

Another excellent mini-ship Christopher! Those hook greebling details are indeed very unique and cleverly-conceived. Nice to see too the trans-blue engine exhaust. Great job as always! :thumbup:

Legostein another great job. Is this exactly to scale with the MF? You've used the same cockpit so the rest should fall into line with that. A very cleaver use of the hook piece.

Great job. :thumbup::thumbup:.

As everybody said , the use of the hooks is awesome , and the whole ship is really nice !

Coincidentally I've just been admiring your work on Brickshelf and have just caught up on your Falcon, which I had missed. This is yet another great mini Legostein and :thumbup: :thumbup: to hooks! I would never have thought the ball would allow them to fit like that.

Is this exactly to scale with the MF? You've used the same cockpit so the rest should fall into line with that.

Read the subtitle. :wink:

Read the subtitle. :wink:

Subtitle what subtitle :blush:, oops I'm not reading very well at the moment :laugh:.

Awesome rendition in minifig scale... I applaud your efforts! However, it's still not enough to sway my opinion of the Outrider: That's got to be the ugliest ship ever considered to be part of Star Wars canon.

That's got to be the ugliest ship ever considered to be part of Star Wars canon.

Try this ship :sick:.

:laugh:

Hello everybody!

I'd like to thank you all for the nice comments in this topic. :classic:

I won't start arguing about the ugliness or prettiness of a starship. :wink: All ships, whether pretty or not, deserve an attempt to be minimized. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher