I have an idea for a Killough Platform for a MoCo rig for my Time Lapse work. I can not find where to buy them. I would like to have a source as close to me in Canada if possible.

I'm pretty sure you can only purchase them directly from Robocaster. And, that's about as far from Canada as it can be...

Steve

RJ McNamara reviewed some "new, improved Rotacaster Omniwheels" on April 13th, 2011.

Here is the link to the link to the US & Canada distributors of the Rotacaster Omniwheels.

Zblj made these 3 designs for "Mecanum" wheels in Lego Digital Designer. These wheels could possibly be used for a Killough Platform:

lddscreenshot20.png

Edited by DLuders

Could make for a odd time lapse as the wheels will have high and low point as and they revolve, the camera will tilt, rise and fall.

Brickend, what you are saying is they are not smooth like rubber wheels? Didnt think of that. Maybe not such a good idea then.

With omni-directional wheels like this, the motion can be a little jerky depending on the size and number of smaller rollers on each wheel. But since time lapse stuff has a lot of time in between shots maybe the bumps wouldn't be too apparent? It wouldn't be like watching a bumpy video, but maybe you'd just have to rotate pics slightly if it even is that bad.

I recently got these for fun and have been putting a little project together, slightly different than rotacaster's style but they can do the same thing and definitely more accessible from Canada. The plastic hubs make them work great with lego axles, just gotta drill them out to the right size. Extra hubs are super cheap too.

http://www.fingertechrobotics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ft-mecanum-set-cg

Good luck!

Edit: That link is actually to the metal hub ones, but the plastic hub ones are on the site too.

Edited by Brock Samson

I think the time lapse video created from a variably uneven platform could appear be smoothed out by the time lapse process, but in becoming smooth, it would also appear blurry as the camera would be constantly shaking, albeit extremely slowly. I've made time lapses of 2000+ shots and would not envy the task of rotating frames to match a common reference point.

The omni wheel machines I have seen, appear to jostle as they move, in order to seek out the directional path of least resistance. Again, I'm not sure what the result for a time lapse would be, it could be interesting.

I think I'd choose the smoothest lego wheels I could find and build a 3 wheeled machine with each wheel station independently mounted on a turntable.

Thank you Brickend, that was very insightful info. But it would make a great TL video, having a platform programmed to move in such and such a manner then this and that then here and there.

Burf2000 did

"Preview of Rotacaster's 125mm Lego compatible Onmi-Directional wheels. Over twice the size of their 48mm ones and can handle over 100kg per wheel. For people who build big, these cure so many problems and allows you to move away from tank tracks as a solution. I will be building something very soon to show off how awesome these wheels are and do a full review. If you are interested in these wheels please check out http://www.rotacaster.com.au/ ."

Here is the link to the link to the US & Canada distributors of the Rotacaster Omniwheels.

ROTA-66.jpg125mmtriplefork-RGB-0431.jpg.jpg Edited by DLuders

Rotacaster ship to the UK and so I believe they will ship to you.

Also Hitechnics has become a reseller!

These wheels are brilliant! Videos below show 48mm and 125mm.

Edited by Burf2000