Sign in to follow this  
Hrw-Amen

Would you or have you ever painted bricks?

OK, I admit this may be a heretical question, but, have you or would you ever consider painting a brick to match a colour if you just say needed one more of a certain type and did not have the right colour?

This question comes from many years ago, back before the internet was common, when classic space was still about and getting bricks was quite hard. I recall I was making a model that needed a couple of black bricks and I had run out, but had them in white. Being into making all sorts of models I happened to have some black enamel paint to hand and so putting them were it would not show too much decided to just paint those white ones black. It was only a couple of bricks, but somehow it felt very wrong.

Has anyone else done this? I know it is a lot easier to get bricks nowadays but at the time the nearest toy store was a hundred mile round trip and like I said no internet, it was back in the early 1990's.

I think that it might be frowned upon by some, but I could understand that justification. The only one I really don't like is painting because it doesn't exist in that color, in which case, I think another solution should be found.

I have painted some elements before and have considered doing it again (i.e. stripes, etc). I did paint four roof slopes 'old light gray' for RR crossing. That was before I figured how to use all the functions of searching Bricklink. I used spray paint so it applied thin, to not mess with fitment. Again I have before and may still do it again, only if absolutely necessary :classic:

I have done it in the past when I was much younger. I painted some slopes in a chrome colour and some minifig legs and I regret it now. My advice is to not do it, as now I wouldn't use those bricks I have painted so they are useless now really

I have a few parts that when I was younger I painted, or coloured in!

Including I am ashamed to say, this flag, I only coloured it black in permanent marker so I am hoping to get it cleaned up!

D

I've only ever painted one part - Commander Cody's visor. The fig of him supplied in the 7676 RAGincludes a gray visor. This really bugged me so I busted out some model paint, mixed up some orange that matched the rest of his outfit, and then painted his visor. I've very happy with the result!

In fact I just bought brushes and yellow paint the other day; the only reason I haven't done it yet is because I'm not happy with the match to LEGO yellow, but I think if I add some orange it might be better, or I might find a better match.

I have no problem with "forbidden" LEGO... while one of the interesting things about LEGO is working within the limitation of the medium, in some cases, if LEGO won't make it, you need to do it yourself if you want something in particular. Brickforge and Brickarms (and hopefully ME will find wild success with the train rails) are proof of that.

For me, it's simply painting the wolfman's ears yellow to have alternate elf hair.

What some of the other people in this thread have done I don't think I'd ever do... I can't imagine it turning out well. Customizing minifigures, though, or painting signs, stuff like that I think is fine.

What some of the other people in this thread have done I don't think I'd ever do... I can't imagine it turning out well. Customizing minifigures, though, or painting signs, stuff like that I think is fine.

Same here. I don't paint LEGO myself, but as far as the concept of doing so goes, I draw the line at minifig customization. MOCs should be purist, IMO.

Has anyone else done this?

Yes I have, and quite a few times already in my past MOCs. I know most purist builders might not agree with this technique, but it provides me the quick and easy solution for parts that do not exist in a certain color. And at the end of the day what matter is if you're happy with the end result, and in my case, I am.

Here are a few examples where I used some custom-painted parts. I use spray-paint for a more consistent result.

Some end pretty decent...

4900023875_d1033c837c_z.jpg

ARC Gunship by KielDaMan

4985265733_649e5003e7_z.jpg

Razor Squadron ARC-170 by KielDaMan

While others don't (non-matching colors)...

5070592036_2060726ea9_b.jpg

Jedi Shuttle Bus by KielDaMan

MOCs should be purist, IMO.

The non-purist MOCer in me doesn't think so. Of course it really depends on what type of builder one is: old-school or new generation.

The non-purist MOCer in me doesn't think so. Of course it really depends on what type of builder one is: old-school or new generation.

I guess I would be in the middle, then, 'cause I use quite a few newer techniques. Although I think the major difference between the two generations (if you can even say there are only two) is building styles, not whether or not to paint LEGO. I think the majority of builders from both generations don't paint their LEGO. Edited by Brickdoctor

I use paint sometimes on minifigs, especially if I need something in silver or gold. I wouldn't paint bricks, though. I just don't think I could get the color right.

I guess I would be in the middle, then, 'cause I use quite a few newer techniques. Although I think the major difference between the two generations (if you can even say there are only two) is building styles, not whether or not to paint LEGO. I think the majority of builders from both generations don't paint their LEGO.

I guess the better differentiation would have been purist builders vs. experimental builders. I am definitely of the latter type, and LEGO painting is one of those 'out-of-the-box' / 'pushing-the boundaries' practices that non-purist builders like me do. What I personally don't like is such practices being frowned upon by the so-called majority, treating painted MOCs like some sort of second-class creations.

I guess the better differentiation would have been purist builders vs. experimental builders. I am definitely of the latter type, and LEGO painting is one of those 'out-of-the-box' / 'pushing-the boundaries' practices that non-purist builders like me do. What I personally don't like is such practices being frowned upon by the so-called majority, treating painted MOCs like some sort of second-class creations.

I personally don't think they're second-class creations; there are plenty of good MOCs that aren't purist. (nnenn's older ones come to mind) I just don't like doing it myself.

I was at Legoland Windsor a couple of weeks ago, and I'm sure I saw what looked like painted bricks in Miniland!

Next time I'm there I'll try to get a better look and some pics

D

I was at Legoland Windsor a couple of weeks ago, and I'm sure I saw what looked like painted bricks in Miniland!

You're probably seeing the coating they spray on to protect it from the elements. When it gets old it starts to turn opaque and flake off. Then it's really obvious there's something on top of the LEGO, and when it gets really bad the models have to be sandblasted and re-coated.

I custom-painted a clone trooper once. Other than that, I've never done it.

I would be wary of painting a part that might get used a lot, the paint would probably wear of pretty quickly.