cavegod

Gluing models

Yeah yeah i know evil word but...

i would like to permanently weld some parts of my models.

i have bought some M.E.K. solvent and would like some advice on the best way to apply to the bricks/plates and how long it takes to be permanent etc...

Well my first reaction would be "don't", but it seems you've already made up your mind.

I would glue the Lego pieces just like you would anything else. They're plastic, so the glue should stick. Maybe put some glue in between the studs on pieces so that when you put the models together, the pieces will already be stuck together by the stud connections, and the the glue can dry.

I'm telling you though, you're going to regret this when you need "just that one piece". :wink:

super glue is painfully permanent in seconds. You will regret it, but it wirks very well.

nah i won't regret it i will never need the parts again and the model is for display use. i'm just struggling to get the MEK to bond well.

I have used glue once... on a model I bought off of ebay... I knew I would never take it apart and there were a few weak points/ individual pieces that weren't holding. That is my only justification. Krazy Glue did the job. All I can say is, think hard about what you're about to do before you do :classic:

The best place to put the glue, I think is on the underside of the brick. That way you get the most area between glue and brick and it gies around the perimeter of the brick. It'll have an even and consistent touch.

cheers guys, i have applied a thin coat to the tubes and on the studs and will see how strong a bond i have in 12 hours.

I don't have to glue the MOC but it will save on assembly time and the blood sweat and tears evrytime i try to assemble it!

From my (limited) experience making "glue & paint" models I learned that when it comes to gluing plastic, less is more. Just use a thin layer of cement on key areas and it should hold. Only using a little will also prevent glue seeping out and drying on the sides of your model.

I remember this guy on bricklink was selling a large number of sets that were glued together. You could try PMing him for advice if you're a bricklink member.

I'd say a good alternative to super glue is model cement, which I don't think is as dangerous sticky as super glue. The benefit is that it is basically a liquid and can be applied with a brush. As I describe it, it more melts the two plastic pieces together, rather than being the bonding agent itself. I've used it on models and it's great stuff.

This is what I used:

tam87038.jpg

Well i have been using M.E.K. smells like plastic kit cement, but bonds instantly and is damm hard to break the bricks apart, but you must make sure that it is wet when you join the bricks otherwise it will not work.