Sign in to follow this  
CopMike

Review - SW Miniland at Legoland Billund

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Here´s the third in a series of short reviews from the scenes at the Star Wars Miniland in Legoland Billund. The setup is supposed to be the same in all Legland´s around the world, so for more background information read this post and this post!

EPV The Empire Strikes Back – Hoth

The Rebels take refuge on this icy planet, but the Empire tracks them down and the Rebels are forced to flee. The scene features LEGO models of the Imperial AT-AT´s, Rebel snowspeeders and Luke Skywalker´s X-wing starfighter.

Figures include Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia and the Dark Lord of the Sith himself, Darth Vader.

First an overall picture:

gallery_148_142_26478.jpg

and a video:

The Rebel trenches:

gallery_148_142_101778.jpg

gallery_148_142_41151.jpg

Inside the Rebel hangar:

gallery_148_142_118160.jpg

gallery_148_142_86117.jpg

gallery_148_142_58391.jpg

The control room:

gallery_148_142_146622.jpg

gallery_148_142_65481.jpg

and the confused droids:

gallery_148_142_60745.jpg

Outside the attack is under way:

gallery_148_142_67294.jpg

One AT-AT had a narcolepsy attack:

gallery_148_142_84948.jpg

Luke is going for the kill:

gallery_148_142_286944.jpg

And at the same time trapped in the Wampa´s cave:

gallery_148_142_86821.jpg

gallery_148_142_153851.jpg

Stay tuned for the next review ........

Very cool. thanks for sharing. I need to go check out the one in California. Does Legoland have any exclusive SW sets due to this miniland?

Thanks a third time, Cop Mike. I must admit, this scene turned out a lot better than I thought it would. Everything looks pretty good, and the ugly T-47s and T-65s don't look so bad in the hangar when they're not the focus of the scene.

I love this Hoth set-up, my most favorite among the three that was reviewed. I agree the whole presentation looks very good when viewed as a whole and without focusing/scrutinizing the models too much. Once again, thanks for sharing CopMike!

Thanks for the review CopMike. It looks fantastic. I really like the accuracy of the atgar and the towers, and the sheild generator looks great. Would love to see this come to Windsor. Thanks for sharing.

Love it , but why are there all those naked people in the control room ? ;)

Kaitan

:laugh: Oh great one.

Love this display especially the people in the trenches.

That's one interesting build. I can't say I don't like it but it's not how I thought this would look. Still some of the build, the AT-At's, are amazing! :thumbup:

Thanks for the pictures. The whole setup looks great. I love the look of the Wampa and the lone TaunTaun is a nice touch. Very impressing.

Wonder what it must be like working as a master builder at Legoland.

People impose a ton of rules on your creations, and you have to conform to the building style of LEGOLAND. ('course, if you like building like that, then it's like doing what you do now with more recognition and unlimited bricks)

I'm no expert but are the Snowspeeder and X-wing any good. I can see the canopy on the Snowspeeder looks wrong, but in terms of proportion etc how are they?

I'm no expert but are the Snowspeeder and X-wing any good. I can see the canopy on the Snowspeeder looks wrong, but in terms of proportion etc how are they?

In all honesty, they don't look very good in the first place, but that's more due to the building techniques used rather than any large errors in dimensional accuracy. In terms of proportions I don't think they're nearly as bad as the LAATs were.

If you want my input, though, I can make out quite a few obvious errors on the X-wing - for example, the top portion of the nose is wider than the bottom portion (should be the other way around), the engines and cargo bay area are situated too far back (the engines should sit just behind Artoo, and the point at which the cargo bay slope terminates should almost line up with side struts of the canopy - see here), the canopy is all wrong, and there is a noticeably large gap between the closed wings.

I think the T-47 is generally better as far as proportions go (less glaring errors), though it's badly in need of SNOT techniques. You're correct in that the canopy is wrong - it's too squat. The nose is too broad at the front, the tips of the laser cannons need to be beefed up, and the power couplings should be extended inward to meet the canopy. The biggest issue is that there is no general taper to the whole thing as is evident here.

Thanks fallenangel309 it's just if they where able to use all these bricks, for these big displays you'd think they could improve the accuracy a lot more than at system or UCS scale.

I suppose the idea is just to make them big, noticeable, and recognisable, but they could have tried.

Oh how much more accurate could either of them be if a member here made them in this scale? *hint hint*

Oh how much more accurate could either of them be if a member here made them in this scale? *hint hint*

Given that my Minifig-scale T-47 is more accurate than these Miniland-scale ones (if I do say so myself), bring it up to Miniland-scale and...

Given that my Minifig-scale T-47 is more accurate than these Miniland-scale ones (if I do say so myself), bring it up to Miniland-scale and...

I meant someone should do an accurate miniland scale MOC (not me because I'm no good at accuracy :laugh:, and don't have many bricks). Your T47 is very accurate but I would like to see it (or someone else's) at this large scale (It doesn't have to be a T47 BTW).

I was going to address that as well. Given that psiaki's X-wing runs circles around this Miniland model in terms of accuracy (I'm an amateur compared to this guy) one wouldn't necessarily have to make it that big. I guess I share Anio's opinions on this.

On the other hand, there's this:

4739002557_116500a345_z.jpg

I wish I had enough parts or LDD skills to build something that big...

On the other hand, there's this:

*Snip*

Yeah that's the sort of thing I meant.