kyphur

Found a use for my hated Flexible Track!

I simply string together enough pieces (8) to replace the 2 straight track pieces. Then I added 8 1x2 Jumper Plates and 4 2x3 pieces in the center as shown. To help stabilize the ends I used the now un-needed green 1x4 plates.

5648873608_c8a460bcb9_z.jpg

Now I used 6 1x8 tiles to fill the area between the tracks.

5648314051_01ae30609c_z.jpg

I like this solution so much that I did something similar for my passenger train platforms. Note that here the tiles are directly on the center studs of the flex track.

5648882352_75a91f04b9_z.jpg

Edited by kyphur

Why not use them for sidings? That will also help to prevent them from sliding.

I guess that's also a good place to use them but the point of my post was that this is using the Flex-Track in places where Straight Track is used (such as the Level Crossing Set) and the stiffening additions actually look like they should be there.

This is a good solution as a substitute for the 1x4 plates outside the rails, for the purpose of keeping the track straight. :thumbup:

Having used jumpers and 2x3 inserts this way before, for ballast on a curve, I'm already using the technique with jumpers, 2x3 plates and tiles along the track on my turntable. The advantage for a turntable is not so much to keep the track straight (as it's on straight frames already) but that the length of the turntable can be other than a multiple of 16M long. I've settled on 72M for now. 1x4 tiles bridge between the jumpers, each keeping a 2x3 plate in place, then other 1x4 tiles bridge between 2x3 plates, giving the offset plank effect. The tiles along the track substitute the function of the clips on the curved ballasted section in keeping the 2x3s in place. I took some pictures a couple of weeks ago so they will follow soon, though I might decide to hide the handrails!

Mark

Looks neat, although Im not sure what the big deal is about flexible track. damn handy I say, so long as you don't go nuts with trying to max out the curve every time or creating silly s shapes. They certainly help with making layouts less of a pain to do.

well, for me they are not that bad either. they helped me a lot while planning my future layout.

anyway, this level crossing idea is VERY good, and I wil use it for sure.

it would be interesting to see if anyone has ever tried a level crossing on curved tracks...

have a nice lego train day

mrBlue

You can basically use them for anything. But: they will still help drain battery power sooner and will still sound louder than the other pieces of track.
Do you still have them in your layouts?

Hi hntrains and welcome to the forum. The topic you just replied to is 6 years old. Replying to old topics when you don't have something new to offer to the discussion is a bit of a nono...