Sign in to follow this  
xangodango

Big train setup ready to unbox - how to config it?

OK so I've made the plunge and sitting in front of me I have my first Lego trains, still in their boxes, but I cant seem to decide how Im going to set this all up. I want to leave a few in their boxes to appreciate in value, and use the rest. Obviously I want to decide before I crack open the boxes!

Before I start, I should say that I already have 4554 metro station, which is a much nicer looking station than any of the new ones, as well as the tram from 8404, and a NY subway train which I think is MoC - but I never had anything to run them on.

So I have these boxes in front of me - it's quite a pile:

4x cargo train

3x emerald night

2x passenger train

1x maersk train

1x station

2x switching points

Here's my thoughts so far on what I'm going to do:

Use an emerald night + passenger train to build a motorised emerald night.

Bulid a cargo train and use as-is. Use the track from it + passenger train above to run the 2 trains.

Use the station set to add a bridge and 2nd platform to my existing 4554 station.

Use the maersk + passenger train to bulid a motorised Maersk.

Sell the 2 passenger trains without motors or track and use the money to buy another passenger train + build it with a new MoC front end (I think the one it's shipped with is ugly).

Open another emerald night to get a 2nd carriage, and sell the engine.

Open another cargo train to get a double header cargo train, probably MoC-ing around with the wagons for a bit of variety. I've heard its better to put 2 motors in 1 engine and have the second as a dummy, to get the best power transfer? - so prob do that.

So that would give me 4 trains, but would leave 2x cargo train & 1x emerald night, which I could just store.

Seems like I'd not have enough straight track though .. hmmm.

Thoughts on this setup welcomed before I crack open the boxes ...

Go on, crack open the boxes!!! :devil:

Seriously, though, today's Lego boxes are not a patch on the older 80's stuff. The boxes then were a work of art, seperate componants, spaces for the motor, etc...

Today, it's just bags thrown into a empty box, with paper work.

An empty (Vintage) Lego Train box is going for £50 GPB on ebay!!!

Enjoy...

OK so not much in the way of responses here!

So far Ive built the emerald, cargo, and tram, and motorised the emerald and double-motored the cargo train.

Not liking the passenger train, so planning to MoC it into a eurostar or similar. Might get expensive.

Then will open another cargo train and build it as a dummy for a twice the length cargo train....

Edited by xangodango

IMO, open at least one of each. You might find you want to add cars to the Emerald Night or something, but you might as well experience all of them.

Go on, crack open the boxes!!! :devil:

Seriously, though, today's Lego boxes are not a patch on the older 80's stuff. The boxes then were a work of art, seperate componants, spaces for the motor, etc...

I just love these words! :laugh:

Nice suggestion :thumbup:

Brick on! :wink:

Price you pay for "going green" Lame packaging :tongue:

but, I agree, at least start with track configurations. Keep in mind room for expansion (if avail). Try a few different track routes to see which optimizes room for building (assuming they are in the works). I know there is a program you can download that helps with large layouts. I can't get it on my MAC but, it looks good, I just can't remember what it was called. "Blue" something... I'll be going to the drawing board, literally, here in the next few months to re-redesign my layout. This time I'ma take some photos. Best of luck, show us how it goes :classic:

I know there is a program you can download that helps with large layouts. I can't get it on my MAC but, it looks good, I just can't remember what it was called. "Blue" something...

The name of the program is Bluebrick.

You can find the topic about it here.

Mathijs

Edited by CopMike
Added links to Bluebrick.

Oooh nice program, thanks. Doesnt seem to have the flexible track in it though, so Im guessing its limited to the old possibilities, and that with the flexi track a lot more things are possible?

Already had an experiment with layouts, and have ordered another 2 level crossings and 3 packs of straights to make up for the shortfall in that area.

Couple of things I was wondering about though

... is ALL track compatible with the PF track, even 12v blue and grey ones? I was looking at adding a crossover but this or 9v seems the only realistic option.

... it a bridge over itself possible? what grades can you achieve up and down, and do you need to use the old track with 'grip' on the rails for those? I'm thinking that by the time I've got the right gradients for a bridge, it will be one long run of track.

Edited by xangodango

The name of the program is BlueBrick

Thanks, thats what it was. I remembered seeing that topic ("blue" part in my post above). I just gave up on it when trying to download the program to make BB compatible on MAC OS... Did not work out :sceptic:

'xd': For up hill track, raising the track by 1/3 brick per single straight piece I believe is the standard. Just remember the longer the train the worse it will do. Traction or magnets separating are the main issues. Better magnets can be purchased and adding a motor toward the back of the train will help. Figure 8 style bridge is possible with enough track and bricks for supports. I'm pretty sure the old grey/blue rails can be attached to 9v/PF track. Not a hundred percent. Check out 'Lego Train 12volts' layout. He has a nice LARGE blend of tracks :classic:

Edited by Leg Godt Gud

... it a bridge over itself possible? what grades can you achieve up and down, and do you need to use the old track with 'grip' on the rails for those? I'm thinking that by the time I've got the right gradients for a bridge, it will be one long run of track.

For inclines this is a handy page to check out.

For the new trains a height of 14 bricks is a good way to go.

Edited by Pet-Lego

Thanks, that's great; I'm liking the fact you can use curves on inclines, otherwise it'd be too much. I like his fig-8 setup, surprisingly compact - cheers!

BRIDGE8.GIF

Oooh nice program, thanks. Doesnt seem to have the flexible track in it though, so Im guessing its limited to the old possibilities, and that with the flexi track a lot more things are possible?

Already had an experiment with layouts, and have ordered another 2 level crossings and 3 packs of straights to make up for the shortfall in that area.

Couple of things I was wondering about though

... is ALL track compatible with the PF track, even 12v blue and grey ones? I was looking at adding a crossover but this or 9v seems the only realistic option.

Yes, the 12v and 9v are compatible with the pf trains. I am glad to hear about your opinion on the passenger train. I want it for my town but feel it just doesnt fit in

Yes, the 12v and 9v are compatible with the pf trains. I am glad to hear about your opinion on the passenger train. I want it for my town but feel it just doesnt fit in

Same here. Its too... red, for my city. That and I'm 9V. I have the new Cargo Train but, only because I like the rolling stock. I have no want to get into PF. Besides TLC hasn't put out a really appealing passenger train since the 90's, maybe that bullet train in the early 00's.

I bought just the new cargo train engine, only off ebay. Don't want the tracks or PF gear, as I have bought a few 9v motors, and will use them.

I bought just the new cargo train engine, only off ebay. Don't want the tracks or PF gear, as I have bought a few 9v motors, and will use them.

you selling? im interested if you are ...

a good setup can be: open a box of each kind and send the left ones to my address, I'll take care of them! :wink:

Just finished motorising the tram.. wow, that's a great set. Who needs the passenger train!

Just waiting for the straight track now.