Sign in to follow this  
Bob

Red Scare Mystery - Chapter Thirteen

I meant the Commie killer. Unless the Mayor was a commie, I doubt a vigiliante would attack him.

I think we all agree about that. And I can hardly believe the commies would have neither a killer nor a converter from the beginning on. That would be highly unfair in my eyes.

Unless the Mayor was a commie, I doubt a vigiliante would attack him.

But the vigilante didn't know the allegiance of the mayor, did he?

Or am I missing something obvious? :blush:

But the vigilante didn't know the allegiance of the mayor, did he?

Or am I missing something obvious? :blush:

No, but why would a vigilante kill the mayor? There was no reason to distrust him, and vigilantes never kill authority persons without reason. The chance is too high they might have actions, I guess. Or it's some psychological factor. Or it's just the respect brought to the official ones or such.

No, but why would a vigilante kill the mayor? There was no reason to distrust him, and vigilantes never kill authority persons without reason. The chance is too high they might have actions, I guess. Or it's some psychological factor. Or it's just the respect brought to the official ones or such.

Maybe the vigilante suspected that the mayor might be Communist because of something not publicly shown.

In any case, we do need that conviction, so I'll stick by my vote.

Maybe the vigilante suspected that the mayor might be Communist because of something not publicly shown.

Well, we already have two killers which both didn't kill Valerie, and I think, if there was another vigilante who's got reason to suspect the mayor, I think he would speak up now.

Well, we already have two killers which both didn't kill Valerie, and I think, if there was another vigilante who's got reason to suspect the mayor, I think he would speak up now.

That does seem to make sense. I doubt there would be three vigilantes. Sorry if I seem kind of dumb right now. :blush:

Oh, btw, I just found out the "beware of strangers" note is not a CIA note.

The same person who has written the note has also written the "hope you don't mind me borrowing that" note inside the armory. I don't think a CIA agent has to steal rifles, unless of course they have had severe budget shortages. :wink:

Not that I want to say the note was wrong, I just wanted to advert to that.

That does seem to make sense. I doubt there would be three vigilantes. Sorry if I seem kind of dumb right now. :blush:

No problem. Scrutinizing things is the only way to find out the truth.

Oh, btw, I just found out the "beware of strangers" note is not a CIA note.

The same person who has written the note has also written the "hope you don't mind me borrowing that" note inside the armory. I don't think a CIA agent has to steal rifles, unless of course they have had severe budget shortages. :wink:

Not that I want to say the note was wrong, I just wanted to advert to that.

So this then decreases the chances that one of the newcomers is Communist, right?

Just curious, what's your source? Because you yourself are one of the newcomers, so this note does affect you. (as well as Captain Garrison)

In any case, we do need that conviction, so I'll stick by my vote.

There’s no rush yet. If you believe Simmons is more suspicious, then vote him and your vote can move back to against me if time starts to run out and it looks like I’ll be the only possible conviction.

Anyway, my points against Farmer Alan:

-I have proven there is at least one Unknown Communist among the original group.

-Using the shoe size clue, one of (Alan, Patrick, Fields, Bradford and Ackerson) is a communist.

--Patrick cast the third vote against Phelps, which makes him seem trustworthy.

--I have proven that Fields is very unlikely to be a communist.

--Bradford was targeted by presumably the communist killer. He has also seemed very trustworthy throughout.

--Ackerson has been proven innocent by Dolores, who is very trustworthy.

-Alan has no such proof of his innocence, and he lives close to the tunnels that the communists have been using to kill with.

-The mayor listed a group of four people, who – if they were a commie – would have a motive for killing him. It would also have explained Phelps increased activeness. Alan was one of these people.

-Of the group of four people and the group of size nine shoe owners Alan was the only one not to vote for Chief Phelps (excluding Fields). In fact, he suggested Phelps shouldn’t be voted out.

-Finally, Alan has only contributed today to defend himself briefly and offered no opinions.

Compare this to the accusations against me, and then make your choice. The news that the newcomers note’s accuracy is now doubtful means that there is now very little solid against me.

There’s no rush yet. If you believe Simmons is more suspicious, then vote him and your vote can move back to against me if time starts to run out and it looks like I’ll be the only possible conviction.

I do find Simmons more suspicious, but I see it the other way around in that I vote you in case time runs out, and if we have time and everyone else agrees that Simmons is more suspicious, I'll change my vote. I think it's safer to ensure a conviction to vote for you first, since I don't know when we'll run out of time, and I don't want to get caught somewhere else when time runs out unable to change my vote to help get the conviction.

We'll convict Garrisson today, and Simmons tomorrow, if possible.

Quite a few interesting things have been said, that is for certain. But I still stand by my opinion.

vote: Captain Garrisson/Lord Arjay

"There's no need for you to rush. General Stanley doesn't have a boat. Also, there's no time limit on this day. You don't need to rush to a conclusion."

"Who said that?" someone asks.

"It sounded like it was coming from the sky." another said.

I guess the General doesn't have any friends in the Navy, huh? :laugh:

Unvote: Captain Garrison (Lord Arjay)

Yes, let's wait for evidence to jump out of thin air onto our ship. :hmpf: All we're waiting for is for Garrisson to continue to try and convince us to vote for Simmons. We can't lose this conviction, we're one vote away from it.

"There's no need for you to rush. General Stanley doesn't have a boat. Also, there's no time limit on this day. You don't need to rush to a conclusion."

In that case I shall unvote:Captain Garrison. At least until Alan has defended himself.

So this then decreases the chances that one of the newcomers is Communist, right?

Just curious, what's your source? Because you yourself are one of the newcomers, so this note does affect you. (as well as Captain Garrison)

The note from the armory and the note found this morning are from the same handwriting.

Is there a way to quote from locked topics?

I'll stay with my vote, if you don't mind. Not that I would trust Simmons anymore, but don't you find it a bit fishy how Garrison is almost done and just manages to bring up that much of evidence against someone who flew under the radar pretty well so far?

It's now been a few hours since the escape, and the sun is starting to set in the background behind them. A few of the townies step onto the deck.

"We've found a room where we can lock a suspect in." one says.

"We've found a room where we can lock a suspect in." one says.

Does this work like the prison cells in town or are we putting the current vote's recipient there?

Does this work like the prison cells in town or are we putting the current vote's recipient there?

Whoever is convicted will go in the cell.

Well people, I think our decision is clear. Captain Garrison is a killer, and we cannot afford to let him wander around. I say lock him up.

Well people, I think our decision is clear. Captain Garrison is a killer, and we cannot afford to let him wander around. I say lock him up.

Agreed. Anyone opposed? Is there a plank on this ship?

Yes, let's wait for evidence to jump out of thin air onto our ship.

Uh, I just presented solid evidence that points to Alan being a spy. I'm not sure why that doesn't count with you.

:hmpf: All we're waiting for is for Garrisson to continue to try and convince us to vote for Simmons. We can't lose this conviction, we're one vote away from it.

I've pointed out what I feel is solid reasoning and no-one can find a hole in my argument, yet it is sill ignored in favour of the fact I'm a killer. If you're not convinced, then there is nothing more I can do.

I'll stay with my vote, if you don't mind. Not that I would trust Simmons anymore, but don't you find it a bit fishy how Garrison is almost done and just manages to bring up that much of evidence against someone who flew under the radar pretty well so far?

The evidence is there for anyone to find, I merely looked for it and presented it to everyone. You can go find it yourself and see that everything I have said is correct. Would my accusation be any more convincing had someone you trusted brought it up? If so, then your logic is severely flawed.

Agreed. Anyone opposed? Is there a plank on this ship?

:hmpf:

If you do decide to go through with convicting me then I hope you'll enjoy your life on the remote island Stanley intends to imprison you on. :classic:

If you do decide to go through with convicting me then I hope you'll enjoy your life on the remote island Stanley intends to imprison you on. default_classic.gif

Remote island? Yay! That means floating cars and people burning in fireplaces and a new governor of California!

The fact is, we need more time to investigate Alan. We have no clue what his action is. He may not even be a threat. You're a killer who- accident or not- has killed townies.

Okay folks, now that I had some time to collect my thoughts as mentioned earlier, here is my rebuttal of Captain Garrison's accusations.

Anyway, my points against Farmer Alan:

-I have proven there is at least one Unknown Communist among the original group.

This is likely and I don’t dispute it.

-Using the shoe size clue, one of (Alan, Patrick, Fields, Bradford and Ackerson) is a communist.

More precisely, one of us may have broken a lock to a window in an vacated apartment, possibly with the intention of catching a signal sent using a communist flag from the roof of a nearby building. However, this doesn’t explain why the lock had to be broken, so it’s quite unclear whether the traces were left by a commie. It could also have been the CIA agent who was still alive back then, we didn't think to ask about his shoe size. We may be following a false lead here.

--Patrick cast the third vote against Phelps, which makes him seem trustworthy.

While this is not strong evidence, I tend to agree.

--I have proven that Fields is very unlikely to be a communist.

What you haven’t proven is whether the visual ‘evidence’ can be used in the way you have. But this is something that only god has the answer to.

--Bradford was targeted by presumably the communist killer. He has also seemed very trustworthy throughout.

The Mayor was cleared of suspicion early on while we were investigating his office. Unless the commies are capable of converting loyal citizens to their cause, the Mayor is still one of us.

--Ackerson has been proven innocent by Dolores, who is very trustworthy.

More importantly, he was cleared of suspicion in the same way as the Mayor was.

-Alan has no such proof of his innocence, and he lives close to the tunnels that the communists have been using to kill with.

As I mentioned before, this is circumstantial evidence at best. Anyone in this town had as much access to the tunnels as I did. Interestingly, when Captain Harding died, he mentioned that the tunnels were leading everywhere, suggesting that we may have missed some of the other accesses. Moreover, he mentioned that « killers » were using the tunnels, not « commie killers ». Harding was killed by a vigilante himself, not a commie. Finally, the fact that killers were using the tunnels was only revealed after the door to the General Store was opened and all of us had visited the tunnels. So basically by that time we all knew where to find the tunnels, no need to point the finger at me.

-The mayor listed a group of four people, who – if they were a commie – would have a motive for killing him. It would also have explained Phelps increased activeness. Alan was one of these people.

The Mayor believed that the theories about Phelps he privately shared with the four of us were responsible for Phelps renewed activity. However, what he didn’t know at the time was that Valerie -- who was killed right about the same time that the Mayor was communicating with us -- Valerie Jenkins was also a commie. I would suggest that the death of a fellow commie was a better incentive for Phelps to assume a fuller role in the leadership of his crew than a potential conversation leak.

-Of the group of four people and the group of size nine shoe owners Alan was the only one not to vote for Chief Phelps (excluding Fields). In fact, he suggested Phelps shouldn’t be voted out.

Since you weren’t in Alabatha when the vote took place, allow me to explain what happened that day. I was sick away on holiday and barely followed the discussions. Shortly before the day was over I managed to chime in and said :

Trying as hard as I could, I can find nothing seriously incriminating in anyone's actions so far. Chief Phelps is probably being framed, the lost badge clue is too blatant to be believed. So I'm withholding my vote until more comes up. Beware of those who are turning us against each other.

It’s obvious that I was confused and I meant to say that Officer Harrison had been framed using his badge, as was seen at the start of that day. I didn’t have time to analyse the arguments for and against Chief Phelps so I withheld my vote.

-Finally, Alan has only contributed today to defend himself briefly and offered no opinions.

Just like you did at first when you were accused. Only after some lenghty discussion you came up with me as a scapegoat. It’s only human to attempt to defend oneself from attacks first. I have already explained that I was collecting my thoughts and I had very little time for chat.

However, now I do have some further thoughts to share.

All of the deaths so far can be explained by the claims of the two vigilantes or acts of god, except for the death of Valerie Jenkins. So it can be safely assumed that either the commie killer is dead or otherwise incapacitated, or that one of the vigilantes is lying.

We don’t know for sure that the commies still have the means to kill. What we do know however is that they can frame. They attempted to frame Officer Harrison using his badge, and Mayor Bradford using stolen money. It cannot be denied that these appear to be night actions. So instead of looking for a commie killer that may or may not exist, I suggest that we try to find a commie framer, who has to exist. Someone who has targeted Officer Harrison on Night 2 and Mayor Bradford just before we went to the hills (Chapter 10). It's not much, but I think that if we're looking in the right direction we stand a better chance of finding the commies.

Sign in to follow this