On a scale of 1 to 5  

66 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding!

I would love to get this set, with a certain degree of modding it would look perfect! However unfortunately with this theme it is a bit too expensive for what you get.

:jollyroger:

I put this set together two days ago. This was my first licensed set, and my first set with flesh-toned minifigures. The great thing about this set are the four minifigures. I find that I don't mind the flesh tones at all; perhaps I even prefer them! I can say that having flesh toned figs next to yellow ones is really more jarring and noticeable than I thought it would be. But The Mill's figures are really cool. Will Turner is probably the weakest (no leg printing), and Norrington is actually the best, I think.

It was cool to position Will and Norrington on top of the wheel, deuling, and then stick Jack Sparrow into the hole in the bottom of the wheel, like in the movie.

As far as the build goes, it was pretty underwhelming. There were many parts that were extra tall, obviously to save on costs. (Those large stickered window pieces, and tall 1x1 bricks). I found the sticker sheet to be a bit unnecessary too; especially the 1x2x2 brick that has its own sticker. (I have a policy of always putting the stickers on by the way.) And some of the building was uninspired. When putting this together, I realized that some of these sets aren't about the structures. It really is about the minifigs. It really made me realize why The Fountain of Youth and Isla De La Muerta have 3 figs - they're just small sets geared at letting you get your hands on minifigs for a lower overall cost.

I also got myself a Whitecap Bay, London Escape, and Cannibal Escape. I'm really looking forward to the cannibal set, because it looks like it has the best figs and parts in it.

Thanks for the review!

Thanks so much for this great review of a fabulous set. I really hope to get this soon. It is a Lego representation of one of the best scenes from The Dead Man's Chest. Wheel action looks interesting and the bell feature looks cool although I believe it's will that uses it in the movie (Lego.com uses Jack). I really don't get why Hadras has printing on the back of his head, as it's covered...

That has to be the most iconic fight in the whole series. It seems to have a fairly decent selection of parts. That is on my wish-list without a doubt. .On a side note, that Flying Dutchmen Crew-member looks absolutely amazing. He would make a great alien for a sci-fi MOC. On the whole a great review.

Keep on Brickin

~Bayonet

I've added a poll so our Pirate fans can rate this set. :thumbup:

Great review!

Every time I see this set it reminds me of the game wheel on the long running U.S. TV game show The Price is Right. I find this ironic, as I also think this set is way over priced.

241_0601_kacie_wheel.jpg

Thanks again for your review.

This is definitely one of my favourites of the new POTC sets. Thanks for the review!

And funny you mentioned the Price is Right, Inkog. On the Dead Man's Chest soundtrack, the track for this scene is called Wheel of Fortune! :pir-laugh:

I believe it's will that uses it in the movie (Lego.com uses Jack).

I checked and you are right, Will does use the bellrope to ascend and steal the key ("By your leave, Mr Norrington!"). As you say I guess I was influenced by Jack using it on the box!

Thanks from the good review! I don't like the mill set especially, but I admire admiral Norrington. He's just so awesome! :pir-wub:

Thanks for that review :thumbup:

A good looking set, very reminisent of the troll battle wheel if I do say, though thakfully not as huge

My main problem with this set, is the bell feature. There were stairs around the bell, if they had made the bell tower wider, a stair feature could have been included. The playability is limited because of its size.

Saying this i will get it for its elements and its figures!

As someone who doesn't care the least bit for the minifigs, would this set still be worth getting for the structure alone (at half price)?

This set works as an iconic scene, with the minifigures and the wheel playability. However it's not really a great parts pack. Whitecap Bay would be much better in that regard, as a lot of the structures are brick built. This one has a lot of panels.

This set works as an iconic scene, with the minifigures and the wheel playability. However it's not really a great parts pack. Whitecap Bay would be much better in that regard, as a lot of the structures are brick built. This one has a lot of panels.

Yeah you're probably right, thanks.

I know for sure that I'll be getting Whitecap Bay, London Escape, The Black Pearl and Queen Anne's Revenge - I was just on the fence with this one. But all in all, it's probably not worth it for me.

It depends what you want it for. If you are only interested in the buildings I would say this is a much better bet than London Escape, which doesn't feel very substantial for the price, even with the carts and exclusive figures. I actually quite liked this set and found that it could be integrated into either my pirate and castle collections without to much difficulty. If you dislike the large castle wall parts then give it a miss but at half price I'd say its worth a shot, particularly if you are looking for a generic mill.

As someone who doesn't care the least bit for the minifigs, would this set still be worth getting for the structure alone (at half price)?

At half price yeah! And then just sell the figures, you'll make a fair amount of money. In fact, after selling the figures the set would be free. :pir-blush:

It depends what you want it for. If you are only interested in the buildings I would say this is a much better bet than London Escape, which doesn't feel very substantial for the price, even with the carts and exclusive figures. I actually quite liked this set and found that it could be integrated into either my pirate and castle collections without to much difficulty. If you dislike the large castle wall parts then give it a miss but at half price I'd say its worth a shot, particularly if you are looking for a generic mill.

Large castle wall parts isn't a problem as such, I find them to be quite usefull actually. It just doesn't seem much like a mill to me... it has a huge wheel as a playfeature which I don't really care for and a clock tower (why does a mill have this?) which overall doesn't impress me much. I already have the Kingdoms mill, which I find to be a much better mill.

I suppose it could be a fine parts pack if I found a use for the wheel parts though.

At half price yeah! And then just sell the figures, you'll make a fair amount of money. In fact, after selling the figures the set would be free. :pir-blush:

It would be a lot cheaper, but sadly not free - due to the prices here being a LOT higher than in eg. USA, I won't be able to close the gap entirely by selling the minifigs. But I will indeed try to sell off most of the figs from the POTC sets I buy in an attempt to make the sets cheaper for me, as very few of the figs interest me.

Much like Brinstar I was very underwhelmed by the London Escape set. Very small tavern for the price. I got both of these sets roughly a third off in a 3 for 2 deal and the Mill is definitely a better set. I think you would be happy with the pieces in this one as you said you don't mind the castle wall panels. But for me the draw of the set was the Mill playset.

I've wanted the London Escape set pretty much since the first time I saw it, for a long time it was even the only POTC set I wanted... don't know quite why though, as I agree that the structure itself doesn't quite seem that finished.

Damn, now I'm back up on the fence about this set... :pir-tongue:

For me, I skipped this set in favor of the London Escape specifically because of the figures. I have much more use for Redcoats than the fantastical Pirates, and the cart and carriage integrate well. I can see the potential for the wheel in this set, but I think it would require a lot of modding.

For me, I skipped this set in favor of the London Escape specifically because of the figures. I have much more use for Redcoats than the fantastical Pirates, and the cart and carriage integrate well. I can see the potential for the wheel in this set, but I think it would require a lot of modding.

Yeah with London Escape, I at least have a use for the two soldiers (with yellow-fications) - and in fact really want the officer. But for this set, I would be likely not be keeping any of the figs... and I too enjoy the two carts, even the coal one.

How sturdy is the wheel attached in this set? Is it flimsy and easy to trigger or will it stay put?

The wheel sits in between two sloped pieces so you do need to flick it out using the rod as detailed in the review pics. It doesn't just roll off.

The wheel sits in between two sloped pieces so you do need to flick it out using the rod as detailed in the review pics. It doesn't just roll off.

Well that's something, at least. Thanks again!