thindexedgif.gif

lego-pirates-of-the-caribbean-cannibal-escape-4182.jpg

Set: 4182 The Cannibal Escape

Theme: Pirates of the Carribean

Price: £26.99

Figures: 4

Parts: ???

Box:

It has a nice fresh look to it, which stands out next to the other LEGO boxes. The presence of a human on the box is also new, and strange too. :pir_laugh2:

02.jpg

The back show the play features, as usual...

03.jpg

04.jpg

...and the top shows all the figures!

the_cannibal_escape_-_review_004.jpg

Once opened, you'll find four bags, one containing a piece of cardboard to keep the instructions and poster flat.

06.jpg

07.jpg

The poster is dual sided, one picture to do with the whole the theme and the other the set itself.

09.jpg

08.jpg

The instructions are normal apart from a couple of things. It shows the play features of a certain area after that section has been built, for example. Atleast, I don't remember seeing them before!

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

There are pictures of the other POTC sets as well as Alien Conquest, and the new POTC game.

15.jpg

16.jpg

Bag 1 - Figures and Spit

14.jpg

17.jpg

The figures are beautiful, all with exceptional detail, and are all different! Jack's face and the compass highlight this fact! :pir-wub:

18.jpg

Only Jack and Will have double sided heads, but all the figures have backprinting.

19.jpg

20.jpg

The new hairpieces feel like a new material, and look fantastic on the figures.

21.jpg

The spit looks the part, but swings far too easily downwards (with a figure on it) and thus looses the rotating effect. I suspect swapping for tighter technic pins may sort the problem out, though.

22.jpg

24.jpg

23.jpg

The spares of Bag 1 include another compass!

25.jpg

Bag 2 - Cage and Throne

the_cannibal_escape_-_review_025.jpg

28.jpg

As you can see, there are lots of bone parts!

The 'decorated' pieces are all printed thankfully, and this part is an example:

27.jpg

The Throne...

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

It fits the figure well and looks really nice IMO. The back hinges allow room for Jack's crazy hairdo.

The side spikes with skulls aare also click-hinged.

32.jpg

33.jpg

The Cage...

34.jpg

It's quite a complicated but repetitive build...

Another new instruction feature!

35.jpg

The figure fits perfectly standing up, so sitting down in it will be fine too!

37.jpg

'Uuga buga!'

36.jpg

Bag 2 spares...

38.jpg

More coming soon! My computer is struggling to keep up with all the photos! :pir-laugh:

Thanks for the review, another set that is on the top of my list, you can expect to see this on the blog very very soon.

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Bag 3 - the Tree-winch!

39.jpg

Lots of brown parts here that'd be great for MOCs!

Small bag contents:

40.jpg

The tree is fantastic. The build is fun, and the techniques and features are great!

41.jpg

Angles:

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

The winch works quite nicely if you do it slowly. I like the use of cheese slopes to keep the chain in place, but why they didn't use 2x1 slopes I don't know! :pir_wacko:

46.jpg

47.jpg

It lifts comfortably.

54.jpg

The platform area is a nice addition too, it give it the fort look!

Here you can see the way the dark tan branches are attached to the wall.

48.jpg

It does however need an operator!

49.jpg

The 'interior' houses a box with two swords and a bottle (filled with rum I presume) and a backpack with an tin of some sort... it's been ages since I watched the movie! :pir-blush:

50.jpg

Bag 3 spares:

51.jpg

All the spare parts:

52.jpg

Finished product!

53.jpg

Rating

Figures: 9/10 - Great selection of highly detailed figures, but another Cannibal would have been nice!

Parts: 10/10 - Fantastic range of parts perfectly suited for the theme and chosen very well by the designers!

Build+Design: 4/5, 4/5 - Not too challenging, not too repetitive! Great use of parts to maximise the feature quality!

Price: 6/10 - I think around £20 would be more acceptable for this set, but it was worth the money in the end.

Playabiltiy: 10/10 - Nothing much to say here, I think it's perfect for kids and AFOLs!

Overall: 86/100 or 86% I highly recommend this set to any LEGO fan! It really is a fantastic buy! Plus, if you end up not liking it, it's a perfect parts pack! :tongue:

BONUS

As you all might have guessed, being drunk doesn't affect Jack's fighting skills!

55.jpg

This is the only set from the pirates line I want to get sue to price constraints. But I really wish jacks double sided head had one with eye printing and one without.

p.s. you got the legs switched on the cannibals.

Nice review, I think this does very well at recreating a specific scene in the film. Gotta love the the facial detailing on Cannibal Jack :pir_laugh2:

Very nice. The set doesn't really seem like much, but the pieces are amazing! :thumbup:

Thanks for the great pictures-looking forward to seeing more! :thumbup:

This set is probably my favourite one out of all PotC line. Love the minifigs, especially the cannibals; new pieces-some have appeared before but new to me-such as the leaves with 2 different colours, which I don't have, the bones (have these pieces appeared in other sets before?), and the bottom piece of the cage; and the back panel of Jack Sparrow's chair in that the picture is not a sticker!

Yes, the price is steep. The licensed sets are low piece count per price. The problem is, though, that people keep buying them, myself included. :hmpf_bad:

Great review. Although I have a couple notes to make. First, this isn't the first appearance of a human character on a box-- all of last year's Harry Potter sets had the three lead actors on the box, and the Star Wars boxes for a long time have had Clone Troopers on them (although that isn't as egregious since he's a CGI character in full armor rather than a human actor with a visible face).

Second, the little "Click" feature isn't new either, even though it rarely makes appearances in instructions. I'm most familiar with it from BIONICLE and other action figure themes. It's generally used to show explicitly where two parts that are already on the model are connecting, since they might not stand out as new.

I love some of this set's details, partly because I love Pirates of the Caribbean and partly because I loved Islanders, which this approaches in its overall aesthetic.

The presence of a human on the box is also new, and strange too.

I assume you're referring to the head shot of Johnny Depp. But didn't the Indiana Jones boxes have a real-life Harrison Ford brandishing a whip?

What is that white coupon-looking box in this shot? I can't make it out:

the_cannibal_escape_-_review_004.jpg

And I guess this set doesn't come with a card either. It's strange; I wonder why some sets have cards and some don't. Perhaps just the sets for the new movie have the cards?

I must say that this set appeals more to me after the review. At first I thought it was boring, but now I am convinced it is actually fairly good. Thanks for the review!

Great review, Thanks very much. By the way am I tripping or have you added elements to the box to make it look 3D?

I must say that this set appeals more to me after the review. At first I thought it was boring

That's the same for me

Great review! This was a set I wanted when I first saw the pictures but then decided against when seeing the price. I ended up buying it anyways on an impulse, and though I do not like the pricing, it is indeed a very fun set. For the size the build was fun, it looks nice, and has fun play features. While I cannot recommend it at full price, if you can pick it up on sale it would definitely be worth it.

Thanks for the review. A very nice set, I can almost not wait for the sets to be released here :pir-sweet:

A lot of the photos are really dark. Particularly of the figures...

Steve

Nice review. It seems quite more interesting than I thought initially, thoug it can be priced... this one will come home soon or late :pir-classic:

This is an awesome set! Except for the price. It contains many great parts of all sorts.

The cage has some useful tan sticks, the minifigs are great and it also has the nice bottle and sword holder.

I remember that TLG didn't want us to continue a contest with inappropriate minifigs, but actually I think barbecueing a human is quite inappropriate as well :pir-classic:

Thanks for the review!

Thank you for the review! POTC seems like a good theme and I now have a bigger desire to get these sets :pir_laugh2:

Nice review, Jammiedodger! This set look a lot more appealing than I initially thought. Great selection of mini-figs, and loads of parts that I could get lots of use out of. Oh, and that mystery tin in the bag must be the 'little seasoning' Jack Sparrow garnishes himself with. :tongue:

One of the sets with Will! Those cannibals are quite nice looking, and so is that cage. :thumbup: I like The Mill better though.

Another neat review JD, though personally this is one of my least liked sets in the PoTC line, the figs and elements just doesn't appeal to me unlike the other smaller sets.

BTW, Brickset says that it has 279 pieces. It's $29.99 here in the US, unless you're at TRU, in which case it's $32.99.

Another set that I wasn't interested in from the initial pictures, but now I'm rethinking. Looks like a good design, decent playability, and lots of great parts. I'm not overwhelmed with the cannibal minifigs though. If it goes on sale, I'll probably pick one up, but not sure about it at full price.

So if I bought four of them, could I enlarge the cage into a Mad Max Thunderdome style cage? Hmmm...

It seems to be nice little set, I like Sparrows face print and the Islanders, parts are nice and the cage is sweet, but there should have been also Gibbs in the set. Still, I would be interested if the set wasn't twice the price than in the US over here in Europe (40€ = 60$). Sorry, Lego, but you are asking for too much.