Etzel

MOC: Viking and his big performance

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

The Viking is obviously not a real viking. With that stupid horned helmet he must be part of some kind of Wagner opera along with other fantasy characters.

5635539173_06796303f8_z.jpg

5636119784_69347027ba_z.jpg

5636119872_5c2c76a1d7_z.jpg

5635539631_e2c3f6522a_z.jpg

Flickr link

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

This is awesome. I'll be honest I skipped over this topic earlier, and now I feel ashamed, because this is so much more than I was expecting. I love the Opera style scene, I'm not an opera fan really but I can appreciate the area for the director to be able to yell at the actors. Those hats work perfectly, and let me formally apologize for skipping this over, it's awesome! :thumbup:

I agree this Moc is really quite awesome, the style and colors of the stage really remind me of theaters and acting. The face with the pinky cheeks is a good idea for this, I love the dragon wings idea too. One question..... What is that red thing at the foot of the stage with a person in it?

:classic:

The overall build of the stage is really very impressive, from the various details to the clever use of those triangular slopes for a realistic-looking side curtains. The whole stage is simply a great brickbuilt representation of real opera stages. Great job! :thumbup:

Amazingly outstanding, realy a wonderful job. Just as Big Cam said, I'm not a fan of opera either. But I love this scene and by seing this I'm even expecting much more for the next fig you will do or already work on.

Very, very creative, I love the curtains. Great job and the whisperer made laugh!

That stage and those stage curtains are insanely impressive! Not at all what I expected to see when I saw the thread title, but wow!

Tbanks for the comments! I'm afraid my next S4 MOC will wait a bit, I got some real life stuff to take care of first :wink:

I agree this Moc is really quite awesome, the style and colors of the stage really remind me of theaters and acting. The face with the pinky cheeks is a good idea for this, I love the dragon wings idea too. One question..... What is that red thing at the foot of the stage with a person in it?

:classic:

It's the promter's box, he's whispering the beginning of the phrase to the singers.

Such a beautiful build!

Well done, the lighting is very nice as well. Loved your write up too, great stuff default_thumbup.gif

This is super cool, have you put any thought of maybe putting some PF's in it so the dragon moves? That would be pretty cool

Keep up the great work!!! :thumbup:

At first it looked a bit simple, but when I looked closer I saw it is actually quite clever.

Good job on the curtains and the whole structure around the stage. The helm with oversized horns are quite funny and so are the faces.

Well done :thumbup:

This is super cool, have you put any thought of maybe putting some PF's in it so the dragon moves? That would be pretty cool

Keep up the great work!!! :thumbup:

Thanks!

I haven't. Mostly because I don't have any PF stuff :wink: I did however think about adding strings and sticks to the dragon that would indicate that it was manually controlled by some off-stage crew, but it didn't turn out as I wanted so I skipped that.

At first it looked a bit simple, but when I looked closer I saw it is actually quite clever.

Good job on the curtains and the whole structure around the stage. The helm with oversized horns are quite funny and so are the faces.

Well done :thumbup:

No, it's actually quite simple. :tongue: The only hard part was the top of the "frame" where I had to come up with an unusual solution. Otherwise it's a fairly easy build and lots of short-cuts that can't be seen (the connection for the dragon wings are horrible :blush: ).

But I'm happy you liked it and I hope everyone have learned a lesson (unless you already knew): Real Viking did not have horns on their helmets! That only happened on stage. :wink:

Yeah, horns on vikings are kind of ridiculous, if acceptable in a pop-culture context. What makes far less sense are the solid gold horns of the Series 4 Viking, which for me prevent willing suspension of disbelief (not to mention adding a completely unnecessary color to his color scheme). If they wanted to make him unique, they could have done something different, like perhaps giving him the cow horns. I imagine those would have looked just fine on him, if still dreadfully unrealistic.

Anyway, lovely vignette. The stage and props are amusingly simple, while the curtains and proscenium arch add a great deal of ornateness to the MOC. The actors themselves are hilarious, although again on the one furthest upstage the cow horns might be preferable to those vicious blades he currently sports. The face you chose for the actress furthest downstage is amusing, and that spear is very effective as a weapon (more effective than the sand yellow metallic Knights' Kingdom sword on the other guy, which seems a bit out of place). I like the dragon wings on that gold helmet, as well. And naturally, the collectible minifigure viking fits in perfectly in this.

Also, I can say with confidence that when I read the topic's title, I for one knew to expect something opera-related.