Attack on the Nile

Item #:

Ages:
14+

Pieces:

Price:
115$

5631118081_fa7f1507bd_z.jpg

Tired of being harassed by Jack Raines and his gang, Pharaoh Amset-Ra decided to pack his treasure and leave on his funeral boat for his holiday temple down the Nile. That was without counting on the tenacity from the treasure hunters who went after him in their armed hovercraft!

Determined to end this once and for all, Amset-Ra unleashes his hordes of mummies and summons Sobek the Crocodile God as reinforcement in this final battle.

The funeral boat features advanced building techniques and 2 secret compartments for the Pharaoh to stash his treasure. Jack’s hovercraft is equipped with a 50cal machine gun and can accommodate his crew. Sobek is fully articulated and can carry a rider.

Includes 9 minifigures, the Pharaoh Amset-Ra, 2 Anubis guards, 2 regular mummies and 1 flying one, Jack Raines, Professor Hale and Mac McCloud.

pq2.jpg

pq3.jpg

pq4.jpg

pq5.jpg

If Jack and his team manages to reach the Pharaoh's boat... they should choose carefully which hatch to open!

pq6.jpg

This MOC is the result of a collaboration between myself and Pixel Fox, a fellow EB member. For those of you who do not know him, Pixel Fox is a 3D artist who is doing amazing Lego computer graphics, among other realizations he has done an incredible Lego comic that is not only technically extremely well done but that also has a great scenario - two qualities that rarely go together, check it out here.

Our initial plan for this contest was that I would build the MOC, Pixel Fox would give me his feedback, bring some of his own ideas and take care of creating a box art to submit in the contest. Unfortunately the contest rules were clarified a little later and we had to drop that part. We nevertheless continued our collaboration and I still consider this build as a joined entry as I would never have managed to achieve such a result on my own.

Although we knew this could no longer be considered as a part of the contest we did pursue our plan of creating a box art that would mimic the official Lego ones... The outcome is a stunning artwork that can be seen on Pixel Fox’s Flickr account, believe me when I say that this is something that is worth seeing as it is taking fan created artwork to an unprecedented level (please note that if you wish to leave comments on the artwork, please do so on Flickr directly as this is not a part of our official entry).

pq1.jpg

This is very well done. Love the magnifying glass on the machine gun. And the artwork is :wub:

love the croco :wub:

Very interesting work to add a designer in your project !

the final result is very interesting and very well done.

good job guys and good luck !

I like this entry, as it's very close to what the actual sets are like. You've got the large living animal statue, the dark red vehicle, and the pharaoh himself surrounded by his army of fashion-conscious mummies. :thumbup:

It also has the same "spirit" as my own upcoming entry, but I won't say more about it until I unveil it. :wink:

Good luck on the contest!

Alright! This really looks the business. :thumbup: I was hoping someone would build a barge, and your version is a beauty. The crocodile is awesome too!

Great entry Yatkuu! I agree with Sandy, this is something that I could very well see on toy store shelves, as it got the necessary elements of a standard LEGO set - hero and villain vehicles, a large brickbuilt monster, and a rich minifig line-up. I really like this entry a lot and I hope you do well in the competition. :thumbup:

This is a really good entry! I can easily see it as a set. The croc and boat seem like the best parts. With the boat I didn't see too many details.

But it is still awesome! :classic:

HO. LY. SH*T. :cry_happy:

Tell the truth. What kind of Lego sorcerer are you? :grin: Make up some instructions for this baby and allow us, your humble servants, to make this on LDD, that we may walk in the footsteps of a god. :laugh:

No, seriously. Right now.

When I first ran across this MOC on brickshelf I thought it was a leaked image of a new set coming out - so very well done. The design and color choices blend perfectly into the Pharaoh's Quest line. And I love the use of the dark red wedge plates on the hovercraft as a sort of shielding. AWESOME!!!

:cry_sad:

I am so sad when I look at you MOC.

Why this isn't a real set. :sing::cry_sad:

Great build and box art made by your friend is nice too.

This is by far the most unique and creative Pharaoh's Quest entry I've seen so far. It's a concept that none of the original sets explored in any form, and yet it manages to maintain so many aspects that make the theme what it is (giant living animal statues, amazing dark red motor vehicles, crazy minifigures, and lots of treasure)!

I love the SNOT-based design of the pharaoh's boat, as well as the clever angles of the adventurers' boat. The only problem I have with this entry is that the level of detail doesn't feel as advanced as I feel a D2C set ought to have. It feels more like a Toys 'R' Us exclusive set in that regard-- in terms of complexity, on par with regular sets, but with completely unique ideas not explored in other sets.

The amazing SNOT-based hull of the Pharaoh's boat is what really gives me this unfortunate feeling, although I can't figure out exactly what sort of details could be added to the hull of an Egyptian funeral barge to improve it. Stickers would feel like a cop-out, and SNOT-based details on the sides could upset the graceful streamlining of the hull. Overall, though, I'm incredibly impressed with the uniqueness of this entry. Good luck in the contest!

Wow, very nice work done with this entry; both the boat and the hovercraft look really cool and I love the giant crocodile, good luck in the contest with this fine set.

Thanks guys for this great feedback, we have put a lot of efforts in this MOC and it is really nice to see that it is appreciated.

Love the magnifying glass on the machine gun.

The machine gun on the hovercraft was designed by Pixel Fox in Leocad (at least I think that's what he used for that one)– he actually designed a good dozen of guns but we finally settled on this one with the magnifying glass on top as it brings some “cartoon” effect to the scene. A touch of humor which fits nicely in the PQ serie.

Very interesting work to add a designer in your project !

The whole experience of designing a MOC in cooperation with someone was really cool, there is always more in 2 brains than in 1 (and when it so happens that 1 of the 2 is a professional designer it gets even better!)

Make up some instructions for this baby and allow us, your humble servants, to make this on LDD

Thanks for the compliment, unfortunately I’m really no good with LDD, but if you want I can share by PM other pics showing the structure of the hull…

The only problem I have with this entry is that the level of detail doesn't feel as advanced as I feel a D2C set ought to have. It feels more like a Toys 'R' Us exclusive set in that regard-- in terms of complexity, on par with regular sets, but with completely unique ideas not explored in other sets.

The amazing SNOT-based hull of the Pharaoh's boat is what really gives me this unfortunate feeling, although I can't figure out exactly what sort of details could be added to the hull of an Egyptian funeral barge to improve it. Stickers would feel like a cop-out, and SNOT-based details on the sides could upset the graceful streamlining of the hull.

Thank you Aanchir for this very detailed feedback, I see you took the time to explore the build! I’m not really sure I get the difference between a Lego and a Toys ‘R’ Us one, I guess I never really compared the 2 kinds (and we don’t have Tos ‘R’ Us in Belgium :cry_sad: ).

The general idea for this set was to design something that would both match the PQ line requirements (giant animal, adventurers vehicle & Pharaoh’s structural element) and add something new to the serie (the adventurers have plenty of cars, a plane… they only miss a floating vehicle!).

I also tried to incorporate advanced building techniques that you typically would not see in regular sets, in particular with the funeral boat. When it comes to designing boats, I’m no expert but I believe Lego usually tends to stick with the large hull pieces for the regular sets so I thought that if designers were asked to create an exclusive one they would explore other SNOT-based ways (I think that the Maersk ship also uses something similar).

I agree with you that the hull could still be improved in particular with regards to the color coding but what you see is really a compromise between the desired shape and what’s available on the market. For instance the biconvex tan slopes from the bottom edges are not even available in official sets..; I got them from StudsOnTop on BrickLink but I have no idea where they got these from!

… Maybe if Lego was to really make this set they would do it differently…

Good luck to all in the contest!

Great MOC!!!! I am blown away by the Adventurers Boat. Incredible! I also love the Croc, it really feels like it could've come straight from an official Designers design. Stunning!

Keep the Brick Alive!

~Bayonet

Lets just say i would buy this. I think this is a great entry because it could easily be a set, to me that's the most important thing in this comp.

I really like this MOC, I voted for it and I think it was a well-earned victory. The design and playability are well balanced like a TLG set would be. I mean no disrespect for other entries of the contest, but some of them were just too fancy for a real TLG set, with the SNOT bases and overwhelming details and techniques. Congratulations on your work :classic:

I remember seeing this as a contest entry a while back, but I still got a bit excited when I saw the box art on the homepage today. I was disappointed to learn that there would be no new mid-year sets for this theme, and thought for a minute my prayers had been answered.

I would buy this as a Pharaoh's Quest theme set in an instant. Fantastic work all around.

Wow, great! That's almost perfect, the boat could use some detailing on the sides but I guess stickers would work.

The artwork is convincing and it's a set I'd like to buy myself, so great work! :classic:

Nice MOC. I like everything in this MOC. One thing is the age group in the box art, why 14 plus. I think 12 plus more appropraite

I want it for Christmas! Really nice job, the box is amazing ; the 10 years old child in me wants to fight against the evil crocodile!

When I first saw the pic on the frontapge I was like YES! they continue PQ, however when I saw it was a moc I was even more impressed, the whole thing could work as a set because it contains so many classic things :classic: Still I wish it was a set :cry_sad: