14 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Outstanding!
    • Above average.
    • Average
    • Below average.
    • Poor!

gallery_101_23_98.gif

- Commissioner Gordon to Batman! Do you copy?

- What’s wrong, Jim?

- The Head of Gotham History Museum Professor John Thunder has just informed us that his personal biplane has been stolen!

- The rusty-looking, smelly thing?

- I don’t think that's the proper way to speak about the Professor, Batman!

- …….

page_1.jpg

(The pic is an official box art one.)

Set Number: 7786

Name: The Batcopter: The Chase for Scarecrow

Theme: Batman

Year of Release: 2007

Pieces: 293

Minifigs: 2

Price: $30 USD

Brickset, Bricklink, Peeron parts inventory

All images can be found in my brickshelf folder.

The time has come for my next Batman review. Originally I wanted to review the sets wave by wave, but due to certain difficulties I had to skip some sets and come straight to a short 2-sets second wave.

The Box

page_2.jpg

The box is approximately of the same size as the previously reviewed Two-Face set one. It has a size of 28x38 cm which I find perfectly OK for an almost 300 pieces set. Though it’s somewhat thinner than the Two-Face one and generally looks smaller than it is. I guess it’s because of the box art.

The box art is done in a dark gray-blue color scheme, which may seem a bit odd for Scarecrow (some may think that brown or tan would have been more appropriate), still I guess it looks quite nice. As I said earlier the box art makes the set look thinner or lighter, if you wish, in comparison with other Bat-sets of the same size. I guess such impression appears due to the fact that there are only two vehicles in the set, without any accessories or extra scenery and plenty of background space featuring night Gotham. No big and heavy buildings in the back, no rain, no (no matter how lovely) extra details that may distract our attention from the set itself. Perhaps I’m just seeing things, but I still believe that it has been done deliberately. If so, I take my top hat off to the artist.

The second wave boxes and the first wave ones are pretty much the same, which I find to be a very nice thing. Though some changes have still been made. The most notable one is the comic-like captions just above the DC symbol. That really adds to the whole comic-oriented mood of the theme and that adds some motion to the scene, so to say.

In the top right corner we see a 1989 Batman symbol. Though like in previously reviewed Catwoman and Croc sets it does not correspond with the one on Batman’s chest. I’ll speak about that in more detail later.

page_5.jpg

The side of the box depicts the minifigs in their actual size. For some odd reason Scarecrow and Batman are shown horizontally which is another new thing that appeared about the box art in Wave 2. Though I suppose it can hardly bother anyone. If you look carefully you will see that Bats has a black cape and a dark gray Batarang, which is, of course, false. Perhaps some pre-release concept?

What I actually want you to note is the new (by 2007 standards) scythe for Scarecrow. Originally the design appeared in Fantasy Castle theme. The weapon was somewhat very popular among skeleton hordes of Malak. And I have never seen it being used for it’s initial purpose in any of the LEGO sets or MOCs. Only for head-cutting and villages pillaging. O tempora! o mores!

Actually that scythe’s design was an update of the original Scarecrow’s scythe which appeared in 2006 Arkham Asylum set (which I hope to review one day as well). The original was brick-built and was made of a stick, a cylinder, a holder brick and a ninja sword. I wanted to add a picture of it, but such abomination has no right to appear anywhere outside Scarecrow’s fear gas hallucinations!

page_3.jpg

As usual the back of the box shows us the play features. Though you can see that the Batcopter steals most of the space here.

You may have noticed that TLC and I have a very different understanding of the term “play features”. I hardly consider rotating blades and opening cockpits to be play features. I mean, what kind of helicopter won’t have those? So basically the set has two major features: the Scarecrow fear gas bombardment one and oversized black rubber rocket shooting one. Yep, it seems Bats has an addiction to those rubber things, as well as to poking villains with those at every suitable occasion, be it on land (like in the Batmobile set) or in air (like in this set). Wait till you see the Bat-tank though!

Well I wouldn’t really want to encounter the Batcopter armed with this rocket on a flimsy old biplane. The thing would simply blow it to bits! I always found it amusing how LEGO Batman used all kind of weapons that could easily kill any villain in a most brutal way. Not very Batman-like at all.

As for the bombardment feature, I find it to be very interesting and well-made. I’ll say a few words about the bombs later, though. The feature itself makes the set worth buying. At least for those who value playability above design and for kids.

page_4.jpg

As in every Batman set we get a very nice comic story, showing Scarecrow in quite an unusual way though. Dr. Crane is a clever and cunning villain, who usually thinks over his every step and scheme. Could he really have been expecting to cause mass havoc and destruction by bombarding Gotham on an ancient biplane? Especially having only two bombs!? I doubt that.

Nevertheless he did so and paid for it. I really like the first picture showing all the chaos below him, those shouting people, broken cars and prayers for help. Reminds me somewhat of one of the best scenes of Batman Begins film when Scarecrow rides on a horse among the same chaos in the Narrows. I find that quite amusing, but not really my style. Crimes should be committed with certain class! Crushing the museum floor with a submarine, now that’s what I call a stylish arrival!

After a short fight in the air, Batman blows the biplane to pieces, and sends Scarecrow falling to his doom (quite mercilessly, I must say). Though Dr. Crane is saved by his new scythe (I bet the old one would have simply broken under his weight!).

What really bothers me about the situation is Bats on the last pic! It doesn’t seem that he’s going to save Scarecrow at all! Just standing there and grinning in his usual weird manner. As if he’s waiting to see what’ll happen next! In fact, now that I mention that, I suppose it’s a myth that Batman can’t kill. In fact he even wants some villains to be killed but thanks to their cleverness, agility and strength he never succeeds! Oh, that cruel, mean Bats!

Interesting and unusual parts

page_10.jpg

Actually the only piece that I find really good and worth showing is the pumpkin bomb one. Interesting that it has a mouth shaped in a bat-symbol which I find to be a very clever touch. Very useful for Halloween MOCs.

What I also should mention is the color scheme of some parts. Dark tan was an extremely rare color back in 2007 and it really worked well for the biplane, giving it somewhat old wood rotting feeling. At least I see it that way!

Sticker sheet

page_7.jpg

As most people who remember good ol’ days when colors were simple and parts were printed, I really hate sticker sheets. But what I hate even more about those is when their absence makes the set look blank and boring! Is that the case? No, it is not. The set does not lose in its beauty and appeal at all. I sure had a temptation to apply the sticker with Scarecrow’s face on the biplane’s aft, but stood firm!

What really puzzles me about the set is the fear gas tankers. No, they are good and everything, but why on earth would Scarecrow write “fear” on those?! Not even “fear gas”, but just “fear”! Why would he do that? Not to forget what’s inside? Not to mix that can up with a Mountain Dew one, since the colors are quite the same? Oh I could never understand those who spent so much time in Arkham!

Instructions booklet

5.jpg

The instructions booklet shows the same box art as the box front. Nothing special here, just a bit battered as usual.

page_6.jpg

Here’s a random page of the booklet. I find that set to have a very interesting build, because the two vehicles are quite different in their style, so it doesn’t get boring at all.

The Minifigs

Starting from Wave 2 Batman sets no longer had unique figures in them with notable exceptions of Bat-tank and Monster-truck ones. In this set we get Scarecrow of the same design as in the Arkham Asylum set. Well, at least fans got a chance to get the minifigure in a cheaper set.

page_8.jpg

Batman in Wave 2 received a new dark blue outfit, which some may take for his 60-s Adam West one, but it is not. I was pretty surprised that TLC used a HUSH series one, which is not very well known perhaps, but is a nice thing to get for a change. Though, I frankly speaking, never liked it much.

page_9.jpg

Scarecrow is a very nice minifigure, despite not being based on any particular image of him. He has all what the character needs: a cone hat, a scarred sackcloth torso, and a scary face.

In fact what bothers me a bit about him is his glow in the dark face. It’s like with the first HP Snape minifigure. Why would Scarecrow have a radioactive glowing sackcloth mask? That feature looked good in old school Castle ghosts and that was indeed kind of creepy. But here I find it pretty useless. Doesn’t Crane understand that it will only make it easier for Bats to punch him in the dark now?!

Another thing that prevents me from saying that Scarecrow is a perfect minifigure is the lack of a double face. Yes, no Batman figures got those (except Catwoman and Two-Face in a way!), but just imagine how great it could have been, if he had a back normal face! Like the Atlantis Poseidon minifigure. Oh, well!

Some fans also note that the black hat does not match the brown torso and legs. Well, that is true, but not a big problem for me. You can always give him a sorting hat now!

The Scarecrow’s biplane

When the I first saw the set back in 2007, I was really surprised that Scarecrow has been given a plane. We do not see the character much using flying vehicles at all. In fact the only case I remember him using one was an airship in one of the first BTAS episodes here he poisoned the university with his gas. Later he used some escape glider when the airship caught fire and started falling down, but I can not really recall him using planes after that. Just imagine what set it would have been if we got a blimp instead of a biplane!

Nevertheless, in my opinion the plane is the best part of the whole set. The true fragile rotting beauty of the 1910-s! It has a very nice design, a very beautiful color scheme, not to mention the bombarding function. Though it does have certain flaws as well.

page_11.jpg

The first can be seen on the front picture. You can see the blades almost touching the ground which I find to be very unrealistic and it’s really a shame that you can’t properly start the engine because of that.

The second flaw I see in the design is the four guns. Four guns is quite a lot for such a flimsy plane and their design leaves much to be desired, really. The best solution may be simply to remove either bottom two, or upper two ones. It will look much better that way.

Though to be objective I can only admire the level of details of the engine and again can’t but mention the color scheme. It suits the character very well. In fact what I also like about the biplane is the fact that it is a biplane. We haven’t seen any of those since the Orient Expedition average one, so it was really good to get it. You can easily use for Adventurers or Pharaoh’s Quest themes.

page_12.jpg

Here is the side of the plane. The plane has a very nice length, is well balanced and even has a very convenient holders for a scythe and a Tommy gun. You can easily imagine Scarecrow landing it, grabbing the scythe and attacking some poor citizens.

page_13.jpg

The back of the plane is not interesting at all. In fact I can’t find anything to draw your attention to except the lack of the third wheel. Yes, the plane cannot move on the ground with the blades almost reaching the ground and no back wheel. That is not something you can’t easily fix, but still adding several more pieces would have made the plane the best biplane ever released. Alas!

Batcopter

img_0061.jpg

Well, now to the Beast Batcopter. Batcopter is quite an odd vehicle to my taste. (Not as odd as the Whirly-Bat though! Don’t even bother asking what it is.) I do know that some fans prefer it over the Batwing and claim it to be more realistic and such, but for me it has always been a military copter, painted black. Nothing like the iconic Batmobile, for example.

In fact I suspect that Bats has indeed simply bought a military chopper and painted it. Because I can clearly remember shooting down the original Batcopter:

He thinks his new toy can help him avoid my Polaris missiles! Ha! I also have a new sub now, I’ll show you! :wink:

page_14.jpg

The front of the chopper looks pretty menacing with those front rotating guns. Well, at least he tells everybody that it is a double turret, since it looks more like some yellow lights. Anyway No villain would like to check if it is true, I guess.

page_15.jpg

The copter is rather long, but looks neither big, nor very blocky. In fact it gives the impression of being heavily armored. Well, it should be, since practically every alternative build in the theme suggests building an air defense gun for villains!

img_0062.jpg

The other side of the chopper is less impressive than the rubber-gun one, since it uses those old-school axel missiles that tend to fall out and serve as bombs that way. Oh well, Scarecrow can’t have all the fun, can he?

page_16.jpg

Now we come to the part where I always start giggling in a mean and nasty way. See anything unusual? No? I do. Look at the aft! No back propeller. Which means that the Batcopter can only go forward. That is very useful! I should go and tell Joker that his chopper is actually not that bad after all!

Complete set

page_17.jpg

Interesting, that now after re-reading what I have typed before, it seems that I mostly pay attention to negative features of the set, which may give you an impression that it is an average set. No it is not. I really like it, not only for the design of the vehicles and the minifigs, but also for the fact that it is perhaps one of the most stylish sets in the whole theme.

Play features

At the beginning of the review I said that there are actually only two “real” play features in the set. The bombarding one and the rubber rocket shooting one. But I guess showing the interior of the vehicles will also be of some interest.

page_23.jpg

What actually amazes me is that Bats always manages to make his cockpits look cosy. Just look at that blue pillow, or whatever it is! And how compare it with the Scarecrow’s one. No wonder Crane is such a pain in the….. neck.

page_18.jpg

The rocket shooting one is pretty standard and cannot impress one much, unless it is the first time you get a set with it. It looks very good on the copter itself, but I can hardly imagine anyone playing with it for hours.

page_20.jpg

Well, actually it is not a play feature and it is not even supposed to be one, but I really find it fun to place the blades like that. They remind me of an….. onion! Beware, Gotham vampires Dracula and Red Monk!

page_19.jpg

I have already said much about the bombardment feature. What disappoints me a bit is the fact that we get only two pumpkin bombs. Still, I guess its no use adding more since there is not enough space to hold even those two!

page_24.jpg

As to the mechanism itself, it’s not automatic as some may think, but you actually open the bombardment section with your fingers, like shown above. Usually it ends up in sending two bombs away if you’re not fast enough!

Ratings

Design: 4/5 Originally I gave this set a 5 rating, but after re-reading it I have no other choice but to lower it a bit. Despite the fact that all design flaws are minor, there are simply too many of those to neglect them.

Build: 5/5 Since the vehicles are pretty different in style and design, it’s really fun to be building those. The build is not repetitive at all, which is a rare thing nowadays.

Minifigs: 4/5 The figures are not exclusive to the set. That could have been something not to take into account but the figs themselves are not as perfect as say in Two-Face or Catwoman sets. I bit more effort and they could have become great!

Playability: 4/5 – The set is quite playable. A bit trivial and boring though.

Parts: 4/5 – A nice collection of useful and some quite interesting printed parts.

Price:5/5 – Almost 300 pieces for $30 is a fair price for the set. The Two-Face set had the same price and more parts though, but it really makes little difference.

Overall: 4/5 – That set could have been one of the best one, it could have even fought for the first prize with the Two-Face one, but many minor flaws make it impossible, alas!

page_22.jpg

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

What is it about these cannons in nearly every Batman set? Still, I'm really gutted I didn't buy this one back then, Scarecrow's plane is just fantastic! And the blue Batman is so Adam West, the only one I don't have yet.

*headdesk*

Thanks for yet another great review, The Penguin! I really like the Scarecrow's plane, it looks really nice and old-fashioned. Batman's copter is pretty cool, too. I really like how you give the 360 degree view of he minifigures, and a reference picture in your reviews.

Just wondering, are you planning to review all the Batman sets? If you are, that'd be really great!

Thanks again for the excellent review!

Another high quality review The Penguin! :thumbup: Reading through I've learned some interesting things that I didn't know before, like what series was this bluish Batman fig is based on and that Scarecrow's face glow in the dark. As for the set, I think this is one of the best in the Batman line, probably third on my ranking behind only the Tumbler (1st) and the Batmobile (2nd) sets.

Another AWESOME review 'The Penguin', thanks for these entertaining reviews. :sweet:

I like the copter in this set, enough weapons cut up a scarecrow ! :devil:

At least, there is no money business going on in this set....eh 'The Penguin' (with Batgirl) ! :devil:

Keep on say 'same bat-time, same bat-channel !' :laugh:

Ah, this set, so many memories, the batman set I got by surprise.

I remember getting this one from my parents, they went to Holand on a business trip and brought it for me, my dad didn't get it for the design, for him, the best batman set was the batwing(my first) and this one couldn't be compared to it.

Still he bought it for one simple reason, the batman minifigure. He found the set hidden behind a few others in the store, and he wasn't going to take it untill he saw the figure, the Batman from the Hush series. The very first batman comic I bought was the fourth of the five issues of Hush, and it was what got me into batman. He brought the set and soon after assembly we started hitting the comic book stores searching for the other issues of hush. Currently I have the entire series and Hush is my second favorite villain, all because of this set.

Thank you for reviewing this Pengui, the memories are apreciated :)

And the blue Batman is so Adam West, the only one I don't have yet.

*headdesk*

Know how you feel Miss Kyle. I love that Blue Batman, but don't have it. And I can't find it anywhere for an afforable price! I really like the shade of Blue they used, makes Batman look as cool as a cucumber. Batman is so cool, when he goes to bed, sheep count him.

I'd also like to get my hands on at least one of them flaming jack-o-lantern heads with the bat-symbol mouth. How damn awesome is that?

Though I understand yer complaints about the Scarecrow minifig, it's too Halloween for me to be disappointed. His face is creepy and goes well with the wide brimmed hat, no matter what color the hat is. I ain't as sick of glow in the dark as you, but that's probably because this is the only glow in the dark head I got. It's nifty and not a real problem for me.

Another great Batman review! I'm a sucker for plane sets, and this is one of the best for sure. :thumbup:

What is it about these cannons in nearly every Batman set? Still, I'm really gutted I didn't buy this one back then, Scarecrow's plane is just fantastic! And the blue Batman is so Adam West, the only one I don't have yet.

*headdesk*

Well, technically it's not really Adam West one, but I often use it as one! :laugh:

Thanks a lot for the comments! I appreciate them greatly! ) :classic:

Thanks for yet another great review, The Penguin! I really like the Scarecrow's plane, it looks really nice and old-fashioned. Batman's copter is pretty cool, too. I really like how you give the 360 degree view of he minifigures, and a reference picture in your reviews.

Just wondering, are you planning to review all the Batman sets? If you are, that'd be really great!

Thanks again for the excellent review!

Thank you very much! ) :classic:

Well, originally I wanted to stay within Batman sets and try to review them all. But, damn some of those belville ones are just gorgeous! :laugh:

I just stumbles across the John Thunder reference :D :thumbup:

Thanks! :classic:

Another high quality review The Penguin! :thumbup: Reading through I've learned some interesting things that I didn't know before, like what series was this bluish Batman fig is based on and that Scarecrow's face glow in the dark. As for the set, I think this is one of the best in the Batman line, probably third on my ranking behind only the Tumbler (1st) and the Batmobile (2nd) sets.

Thanks a lot! ) :classic:

Yes, indeed, it's a very fine set. Definitely aimed at both hardcore fans and peoply who are just interested in the topic.

Another AWESOME review 'The Penguin', thanks for these entertaining reviews. :sweet:

I like the copter in this set, enough weapons cut up a scarecrow ! :devil:

At least, there is no money business going on in this set....eh 'The Penguin' (with Batgirl) ! :devil:

Keep on say 'same bat-time, same bat-channel !' :laugh:

Thanks a lot. I'm glad you liked it! :classic:

I didn't really get the kine about money business though..... :hmpf_bad:

Ah, this set, so many memories, the batman set I got by surprise.

I remember getting this one from my parents, they went to Holand on a business trip and brought it for me, my dad didn't get it for the design, for him, the best batman set was the batwing(my first) and this one couldn't be compared to it.

Still he bought it for one simple reason, the batman minifigure. He found the set hidden behind a few others in the store, and he wasn't going to take it untill he saw the figure, the Batman from the Hush series. The very first batman comic I bought was the fourth of the five issues of Hush, and it was what got me into batman. He brought the set and soon after assembly we started hitting the comic book stores searching for the other issues of hush. Currently I have the entire series and Hush is my second favorite villain, all because of this set.

Thank you for reviewing this Pengui, the memories are apreciated :)

And my name is Penguin, actually!

Thanks a lot for the positove feedback! :classic: Hush is a nice storyline, but a bit overrated to my taste. There are some no less interesting plots that have been unfairly forgotten! :hmpf_bad:

Know how you feel Miss Kyle. I love that Blue Batman, but don't have it. And I can't find it anywhere for an afforable price! I really like the shade of Blue they used, makes Batman look as cool as a cucumber. Batman is so cool, when he goes to bed, sheep count him.

I'd also like to get my hands on at least one of them flaming jack-o-lantern heads with the bat-symbol mouth. How damn awesome is that?

Though I understand yer complaints about the Scarecrow minifig, it's too Halloween for me to be disappointed. His face is creepy and goes well with the wide brimmed hat, no matter what color the hat is. I ain't as sick of glow in the dark as you, but that's probably because this is the only glow in the dark head I got. It's nifty and not a real problem for me.

Well, I guess I just never liked the glowing pieces in LEGO. Simply does not make sence in most caes. Except one. The old ghost minifigure! Oh, they do not make sets like that any more! :cry_happy:

Another great Batman review! I'm a sucker for plane sets, and this is one of the best for sure. :thumbup:

Thanks a lot! ) :classic:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Edited by The Penguin

Superb overview of the wonderful set!

Scarecrow - my favorite mini-figurine. By the way, this set is sold in Russia so far! (But a lot of money!) ((

Thank you for the wonderful review!

that video was back in the old days when the joker was sane and the riddler was crazy :laugh: nice review, I've always wanted this set...

And here I was thinking this was a new set review, grave digger...

that video was back in the old days when the joker was sane and the riddler was crazy :laugh: nice review, I've always wanted this set...

Don't bump old topics unless you have something to add.

And here I was thinking this was a new set review, grave digger...

And don't mini-mod.

Next time this sequence of events occurs, I'm gonna stop being so nice. :angry:

Great review, that scarecrow minifig is beast.

I really miss the old 2006 licensed faces designs. They had much more personality, detail and they were less cartoonish. I'm dying to know who the designer was! Does anyone know?

Edited by Otherworld

Great review!

I always loved this set, and I wish that I could of picked it up on while it was still available. The Scarcrow minifigure is quite unique!