DLuders

Sheepo's 4 Return-to-Center Steering Configurations

On his Brickshelf gallery, Sheepo posted several pictures for each of these three Lego Technic "Return-to-Center Steering" configurations.

"Return-to-center standard system using specific piece - x928cx1" (Known as the Lego Hockey Spring) (3 pictures):

cimg0456.jpg

"Return-to-center type 1. With medium size and high accurate, this is de most recommended." (5 pictures):

cimg0475.jpg

"Return-to-center type 2. It is a smaller version of the type 1, more compact but with some less precision and not suitable for engines larger than a PF M." (4 pictures):

cimg0434.jpg

"Return-to-center type 3. It is the larger but equally effective, ideal for high torques and flat spaces" (4 pictures):

cimg0473.jpg

Wow very nice little contraptions. I remember when I got from my dad a little gear set and could think of so many things that they could go in to that big kids could do with them. Those are the days :grin:

compact master class

really well done contraptions.

Edited by parda

Pretty cool ideas.  I built type 1 and found that part of the action stems from the internal medium motor gears tensioning like a spring.  I.E. if you stall a lever arm affixed to the motor shaft, it will spring back when you stop the motor.  Interesting.  I had hoped to use this concept to switch a three speed transmission, so the motor would be in the stalled position for a long time.  I found that the motor got warm when switching it back and forth for several minutes, and eventually it current limited out.