sonicstarlight

MOC: Galaxy Diner and Empire Theater

indexed.gif B-OM-2A

Hello all!

It took a while, but I finally finished my latest modular buildings: The Galaxy Diner and Empire Theater. Based on the classic American diners and Art Deco movie theaters of the 1930s and 40s, this takes up two baseplates with the diner being 8 studs narrower than a typical modular and the theater being 8 studs wider. The theater is loosely based on the cinema from 10184 Town Plan, but made to look more at home in New York instead of Miami Beach. The names were also chosen to be of the era and are not specifically named for any specific buildings.

Without further ado, here it is. Despite three different "fonts" going on, I think it all works.

5606436727_f4313d6956.jpg

I'll start with the diner.

5606439703_b2e80dc654.jpg

There is a large skylight at the top which allows in a lot of light.

5606447335_56c5ca51cc.jpg

Despite being small for a modular, it is still quite roomy with seating for 16 minifigs.

5606450195_d441465170.jpg

5606456483_c47bce7cb9.jpg

Moving now to the theater.

5606468781_363f9ea0a7.jpg

While the diner was a very straight forward build, this uses SNOT techniques everywhere. I needed a lot of jumpers and the new bricks with a stud on one side.

5607049198_33f6fa2ab1.jpg

A closer look at some of the details.

5606472493_1e95c3ff9b.jpg

The back is definitely the back - I put all my focus on the front. This shows the balcony off the third floor and the spotlights at the top for special events.

5606476889_b764056298.jpg

Sadly, this father is not going to have any of that $100 bill left after the tickets and snacks are paid for...

5606463753_fe22666510.jpg

The first floor contains a concession stand with popcorn kettle, soda machine, shelves for candy, popcorn warmer, and butter pump. There is also a fountain and two restrooms.

5606481757_2162f3c50a.jpg

5607071806_5c0cff9500.jpg

The second floor is unconventional in terms of how it handles the third floor. It was a pain to try and break the front facade due to all the SNOT work, so only two walls come off initially.

5606492429_4c19593caa.jpg

I have a bunch of Harry Potter minifigs after getting Diagon Ally for parts, so I made them into 3D posters. You can see a drinking fountain under the spiral stairs and the theater screen and curtain.

5606494135_5e501c0a03.jpg

The third floor is for the projectionist, and contains the projector, a couch and table to sit and relax while the movie is going, and a door out to the balcony.

5607094962_3d4c57b884.jpg

5607085562_35a9e4d80c.jpg

Finally, here is it next to the Town Plan Cinema...

5606504915_24c65acba0.jpg

... and the Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium. I think it fits in rather well.

5606508149_96e560b0c5.jpg

Many more photos on my flickr account here and on Brickshelf here.

Thank you for looking, and apologies for the quality of some of these - I shot with the flash off to help reduce the reflections, so they are rather dark. Any questions or comments are of course welcome :classic:

UPDATE: Since this has been bumped from the dead, I might as well add that this model is now on CUUSOO for anyone who wants to vote for it.

Edited by sonicstarlight

Magnificent build, sonicstarlight! The diner is very nice, with realistic features and a modern design. The theatre is absolutely fantastic! The level of detail is incredible, and it's all very well designed. They both fit in nicely with the other modulars. Well done, and thanks for sharing!

*oh2* Wow! Thats very very impressive. A great improvement form lego's cinema and it fits perfectly with the other models. Great work and stunning details :wub:.

They quality is perfect btw :wink:.

Thanks, CB

Wow - I love that theatre :wub:

I've been planning on doing a theatre for a while now, and i could take alot of inspiration from yours. I was really hoping for a good interior as I was scrolling down, and I was'nt disapointed! The details are great. Great layout, complete with toilets, projection room - Great! Love the fact that it towers over the original cinema as well! Bigger and better!

Not too sure on the '3D' posters tho - I did'nt really get that's what they were, untill you explained them. Perhaps some sticker images would work better?

Amazing work Sonicstarlight! Great work! :thumbup:

Wow. Impressive. *oh2*:laugh:

I just love the diner; the seating, the floor, the bar, just everything. It al makes sense.

Also like that interior of the cinema, with the screen and curtains; very nice details. Awesome front, captures the style perfect. But I miss some movie lettering decals and posters.

This is one of the best modular creations I have seen. The color schemes of the buildings are very well chosen. Some highlights for me: the seats in the diner, the SNOT-staircase and the exterior decorations of the theater. Just the whole interior detailing of both buildings is simply brilliant. I'm trying to figure out how minifigs get into the actual theater though. In other words: where do the two doors lead to? :look:

Not too sure on the '3D' posters tho - I did'nt really get that's what they were, untill you explained them. Perhaps some sticker images would work better?

Yeah, I really struggled with this space. You can always take them out and put in two of the posters from the Town Plan Cinema as they are the same size, but I use the Lego standard of no stickers on my custom modulars.

This is one of the best modular creations I have seen. The color schemes of the buildings are very well chosen. Some highlights for me: the seats in the diner, the SNOT-staircase and the exterior decorations of the theater. Just the whole interior detailing of both buildings is simply brilliant. I'm trying to figure out how minifigs get into the actual theater though. In other words: where do the two doors lead to? :look:

Thanks Rick - again, it means a lot coming from you. The pictures don't make it very clear I realize, but essentially you turn right at the landing and open a glass door. The narrow space on the right is a hall that brings you to the front of the theater, and you can barely see the arched entry at the end in the theater itself. Basically, the space immediately under the balcony is just a hall to the theater. I hope this clears it up a bit - I will try and take a shot of it later, but my camera is on lone until tomorrow.

On a related note, I worked in a movie theater during high school, so I really did try to make a building that was functional and included a few things I often see missing in other theater MOCs.

Beyond impressive, wow! The details in both buildings (interior and exterior) are stunning.

Very well done cinema! The diner is great too. I have so many things to say about this but really it is just a perfect Moc, All of the small details really show it, and the snot work with the cheese slops is great too! :sweet:

That is one awesome modular! What's not to like? :wub:. You got some really nice patterns on the facades there, and the interior is just so well done. I'm just blown away. And the diner and theater complement eachother real nicely. I'm gonna just sit here and stare at those photos for a while... Maybe even find some inspiration for my own movie theater that I've been fiddling with for a while :wink:.

One word.....AWESOME, the just add BEAUTIFUL - what a double creation 'sonicstarlight' ! :grin:

Art Deco and Lego really go togther.....wish the 'Hinckley' would start a contest to build something original in Art Deco ? :wink:

Anyway, just fantastic work you have done and Brick On 'sonicstarlight' ! :grin:

This is outstanding work! I was thinking about making a cinema, but so far my WIP is a theatre, bar, nightclub, restaurant... I think I might have to make a few day-time activities first LOL

I agree that these are a couple of the best builds I've seen in a very long time. So many wonderful details: The diamond pattern on the facade, the spotlights on the roof, the SNOT work on the stairs, the lettering, the fountain, those curtains on the stage and the projector room - and, not least, the fact that you have managed to make both the movie theatre and the diner seem quite spacious even though there's a lot of interior features.

These would be fab additions to any tabletown. Highly impressive!

Awesome work on both buildings! I've always wondered why city diners had that kind of "trailer" design, but yours was executed very well. I also like the triangular pattern on the cinema front very much.

See it on Classic-Town.net

As I said on Flickr - it's the great combination of these two that really makes it work for me. Looks like a real downtown street from the 30s - great vibe and a great build!

That Diner is absolutely FANTASTIC. 5/5 job on that one sir!

I think I'm gonna have to use yours for inspiration to build my own. :sweet:

What to say besides Wow!. The diner is great and the theater is amazing. I wish it was a real Lego brand set so I could buy it and build it myself because it looks like a really fun build.

The pictures don't make it very clear I realize, but essentially you turn right at the landing and open a glass door. The narrow space on the right is a hall that brings you to the front of the theater, and you can barely see the arched entry at the end in the theater itself. Basically, the space immediately under the balcony is just a hall to the theater. I hope this clears it up a bit - I will try and take a shot of it later, but my camera is on lone until tomorrow.

That indeed was the only possibility I could think of. You really made efficient use of the interior space. :classic:

Art Deco and Lego really go togther.....wish the 'Hinckley' would start a contest to build something original in Art Deco ? :wink:

Anyway, just fantastic work you have done and Brick On 'sonicstarlight' ! :grin:

They really do go great together, and I would love a Deco contest! I've seen quite a few great builds in the style lately, including some in your ever-expanding town. :classic:

Working in New York I have the luxury of seeing the Chrysler Building out my window and having the Empire State Building be the last thing I see before entering the subway at night, and I am still in awe of them everyday despite being here for a decade now.

Awesome work on both buildings! I've always wondered why city diners had that kind of "trailer" design, but yours was executed very well.

I won't go into the full history of the diner, as interesting as it is, but they are essentially the evolution of the portable lunch truck. They naturally grew bigger over time and started adding things like seating, and the same people who made those started making prefabricated diners with a lot of the same characteristics despite being meant to be stationary. They needed to be narrow enough to fit on the back of a truck and shipped to wherever, so they look like trailers because essentially that's what they are.

The one like I built is fairly specific to the northeast US, although many have since been moved to other locations across North America. Not sure if there are anything like them "across the pond", so to speak.

As I said on Flickr - it's the great combination of these two that really makes it work for me. Looks like a real downtown street from the 30s - great vibe and a great build!

Thank you for all your comments, and for putting this on Classic-Town! I'm three for three so far, and I really do appreciate it. :blush:

Fantastic MOC, I'm part way through designing an art deco cinema for my town (When I get around to building it!)

:wub: Art Deco & :wub: your take on it :thumbup: