Solscud007

8039 Venator underwhelming

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

So I found an unopened 8039 Venator on craigslist for $75, not bad. I built it and found the set a little dissapointing.

I would like a little more accuracy in this model. I find the bomb dropping feature and the silly gun platform not to my liking.

I think the problem is that Im comparing it to my 6211 Imperial Star Destroyer Set. I find the little scenes to be very fun. You have the escape pod hanger, Conference hologram with the emperor, Vader's helmet service station, and the bridge of the ISD. The Venator only has Senator Palpatine's office.

Also the complement of figures is less than that of the ISD. I would have liked some officers like an Admiral Yularen.

Another major let down is that the Venator is only 200 pcs less than that of the ISD but the size comparison is astouding.

I did a little number crunching and if you use the ISD as the benchmark, the Venator should be 20% smaller to be in scale.

However I would have liked the Venator to be physically the same size as the ISD playset.

Here you can see the size difference. It really makes the Venator pitiful next to the ISD.

venatorvsisd.jpg

Well, bluntly spoken there only few things imagineable that can make up for the majestic appearance of an ISD...

If there were no ISD, the Venator would not appear that bad. It just sucks because of it's (better designed) brother. For 75 bucks, i would gladly take a Venator. While personally i don't like those features for flicking/tossing missiles/bombs around, it's perfectly understandable that TLG has them included in many sets. They add playability - and in essence a playability value a lot of kids might long for.

I consider the Venator to be more of a toy than the (much more fragile) ISD. By the sheer exterior look, for recreating famous scenes or even playing inside the set, the latter is much better - i agree perfectly with you. I am really longing for a rerelease.

You are right. If the ISD did not exist, the Venator would be decent. I would have liked the top hull to split open like sliding doors, just as it does in the CW show and the Lego video game. But the fact that it opens like a car bonnet/hood kind of ruins it for me.

I will need to look into making it open like I want. One feature that I do like, is the carrying handle for the Venator. I wish the ISD had something like that.

Edited by Solscud007

I agree with all that you said there, I skipped this set as I find it an ugly model. TLGs attempts at play features here don't work out well, like the gap in the back that is filled by nothing than a gunner :hmpf_bad: Palpy being included was also kinda stupid, it's illogical to put his office in there. Compared to the Star Destroyer, not a good set :sad:

I agree with all that you said there, I skipped this set as I find it an ugly model. TLGs attempts at play features here don't work out well, like the gap in the back that is filled by nothing than a gunner :hmpf_bad: Palpy being included was also kinda stupid, it's illogical to put his office in there. Compared to the Star Destroyer, not a good set :sad:

exactly, It is nice to have Senator Palpatine but I think it makes more sense, given the context of the show, that it should have Admiral Yularen and some jedi. I think a hanger that has mini vehicles flying in and out would have been better.

exactly, It is nice to have Senator Palpatine but I think it makes more sense, given the context of the show, that it should have Admiral Yularen and some jedi. I think a hanger that has mini vehicles flying in and out would have been better.

Command center, armory, small mess hall, and if we must have a play feature, a boarding feature for droids to invade the ship.

I would have liked the top hull to split open like sliding doors, just as it does in the CW show and the Lego video game. But the fact that it opens like a car bonnet/hood kind of ruins it for me.

I will need to look into making it open like I want.

I too would really like to modify it so those doors slide open.

One feature that I do like, is the carrying handle for the Venator. I wish the ISD had something like that.

I agree. The carrying handle is a fantastic idea - fits in quite well with the model, and is extremely strong for picking it up.

I really enjoyed building this model. I wouldn't have wanted to pay RRP, but at 50% off was really happy with my purchase. Whilst I would have preferred more of a UCS style than all of the 'playability' features, I guess that TLG has to appeal to everyone.

Yes, this is a well-known issue. There have been several threads about it already. The set certainly has its flaws, but it's really not that bad if you don't compare it to the ISD, and at $75, I wouldn't complain.

If the ISD didn't exist, the Venator in Sith would look better, but this set would still be :thumbdown: . The way the top hull bends in the middle just forward of the island is fail.

If the ISD didn't exist, the Venator in Sith would look better, but this set would still be :thumbdown: . The way the top hull bends in the middle just forward of the island is fail.

Yeah, and the way that the slope in front of the bridge takes up half the model is so weird to look at. This set could really use a re-hash. Lego could do so mush better!

On a side note, lets all be mindful that EB is on legos radar. A designer may see what we say, remember when castle fans got their civilian sets? Not sure if I saw a lot of talk about that on other forums...

I don't mind this set at all! I got this by accident and it isn't all that bad,

also I think it is kinda unfair to compare with the ISD, whats the price comparasion anyways?

If there were no ISD, the Venator would not appear that bad. It just sucks because of it's (better designed) brother. For 75 bucks, i would gladly take a Venator. While personally i don't like those features for flicking/tossing missiles/bombs around, it's perfectly understandable that TLG has them included in many sets. They add playability - and in essence a playability value a lot of kids might long for.

8039 is ugly because it is ugly, not because some other set looks better (just like 6212). I would agree with you about the play features, though. That’s not to say, of course, that I would actually buy this thing.

Yeah, and the way that the slope in front of the bridge takes up half the model is so weird to look at. This set could really use a re-hash. Lego could do so mush better!

Agree to both statements. Along with 4504 and 7665 this has got to be one of the worst cases of deformed LEGO playsets. And sticking Palpatine’s office in there was just pointless (shameless minifigure fan service).

also I think it is kinda unfair to compare with the ISD, whats the price comparasion anyways?

6211 was $99.99 and 8039 is $119.99 so the price range is about the same. With 6211 you get much more for your money than with 8039 (all those new molds, I’ll bet). I wouldn’t say it’s unfair, as both ships would serve a similar role (flagship) in a typical role-play scenario.

I don't mind this set at all, I don't think it looks terrible and I was happy to find it half off at a local Target. Could do worse for $60, maybe one day I'll even open it up and put it together.

It's reasonably accurate, very sturdy (unlike that ISD!), full of features and had 2 brand new figs

If we judge it by what it is rather than the meter long monstrosity we had hoped for - well, it's a superb set

We all wanted a venator with an interior and maybe in the future we'll get it, an SSD is a virtual guarantee even if we dont

It's reasonably accurate, very sturdy (unlike that ISD!), full of features and had 2 brand new figs

Yeah, I agree. I got mine at about half price and (as my wife hears me say very often) it was better than I thought it was. True it reminds me of a Venator that has been filled with too much air, but I thought it was good looking just the same. Even so, I broke mine when I moved last and I have no intention of fixing it...