Esben Kolind

MOC: Power Functions Intercity Train with Automatic Sliding Doors

Hi,

This MOC is my third attempt to incorporate automatic doors in a 6-wide train.

My Power Functions High Sped Train with automatic doors featured a simple design with a single pivot point, while the Power Functions Commuter Train with automatic sliding doors had actual sliding doors as well as retracting stairs.

This time, my goal has been to simplify the basic design of the door opening mechanism of the latter and expand the functionality to several cars without compromising the design and the interior.

The two minute video shows the result as well as some footage of how the mechanism works. More pictures and detailed explanation below.

All pictures in this Brickshelf folder (after moderation)

platform4.jpg

The train

The train consists of four cars on shared boogies. All PF equipment is hidden in the front car (36 studs), the two center cars are identical (28 studs) while the end car is a shorter version of the front car with full interior (32 studs).

all1.jpg

The front

The curved front features working headlights and cabin light for the driver. The lights are placed behind a 4 x 6 wind screen.

front3.jpg

The cars

The cars have a sliding door on one side and full interior.

side3.jpg

Interior

The door opening mechanism only takes up a 1 x 1 column inside the passenger cabin.

yconstruct4.jpg

Construction

The roof of the train is taken off in one piece.

yconstruct9.jpg

PF battery, ligths and M motor hidden in the front car.

yconstruct1.jpg

Transmission

yconstruct5.jpg

From below

yconstruct92.jpg

More construction pictures can be found in the Brickshelf folder.

So, what do you think of it?

Esben

See it on Classic-Town.net

I was pretty certain you'd continue developing this idea and I must say it has come a long way, especially in terms of design. Your initial opening-door PF mechanism and train was awesome, but this one is even better. The fact that you've managed to provide 100% functionality and still keep as much of the interior as possible is awe-inspiring!

Fantastic work.

The train looks great in it's own right and the compact automatic door mechanism with it's articulated power supply is magnificent.

Excellent stuff.

:classic: :classic:

So, what do you think of it?

Hi Esben,

here is what I think: F - a - n - t - a - s - t - i - c. This is ingenious. No other thoughts ...

The first two versions already took my breath, particularly the retracting steps. I didn't think it could get any better. Seeing this now: I was wrong. Wow, I love that entire mechanism. Brilliant.

:wub::wub::wub:

Best regards,

Thorsten

Your design 'Esben' combines AWESOMENESS and GENIUS in one creation, I tip my MOC-builders hat to you, a clean and well working automotive door system, the train itself is nice too ! :wink:

Brick On 'Esben'.....totally Brick On ! :grin:

Hi Esben,

Fanstatic ,is a little words, i think it's a very,very nice work.

You idea for the doors is very good and the design of you intercity train is great,i like it !

Seb,Verdun,France.

This design is simply brilliant, and brilliantly simple. Looks great. Congratulations on a job very well done!

Certainly, you must be one of the great Lego mechanical builders of all time. The mechanism is brilliant, the application is flawless and the functionality of the MOC is intact. Too many times I have seen MOC's that are so complex they cannot be played with or they barely resemble their inspiration because of the gizmos, wires or batteries. You have beaten these considerations admirably. Congrats!

I just can add the same words: Fantastic, brilliant, amazing... This design should be built into all passenger trains.

Excellent. Amazing. This truly highlights the interactive nature and endless possibilities available with LEGO trains. Fantastic in its mechanical ingenuity whilst maintaining the overall aesthetics.

This is brilliant, thanks for sharing how you did it. It makes running trains even more dynamic than it already is.

Keep up the good work :-)

Even without the opening doors it would be a beautiful train. But the doors are brilliant!

I love your trains that have this awesome function! And the train it self is great besides the function. This morning I saw that on Youtube. I keep watching for your trains! :sweet:

Truly a work of creativity and Lego engineering ingenuity!!! Well done!!! I love the fact that it only takes up a 1x1 brick area on the "x" plane (obviously a bit more space is used on the "y" plane with those Technic parts).

I would love to rip off your design and use it on my own MOC, but I wouldn't know where to start!!! Saying that, I can see TLG actually pimping your idea for a future passenger train set. You know what they say - imitation is the best form of flattery!!!

wow, this is excellent on another scale. You even managed to minimize the PF space for the minifig space. Keep up the good work.

I am totally inspired on every level. Do you have step by step instructions?

Hi all,

Thanks for your nice comments. I must admit that I am pretty happy with the result too :blush:

I am totally inspired on every level. Do you have step by step instructions?

Nope, no instructions. But I have taken a number of close-up pictures of the construction in the Brickshelf folder (now public). That should enable you to re-create the basic functionality if you wish.

Esben

The drive shaft with the universal joints in the roof is a stroke of genius!

Really A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!! I was toying with the idea of opening doors on a train, but i always ended up with a non-lego solution using an micro servo motor... But this... /bow

Very nice, very neat idea those automatic doors!!! It is a nice train in general as well.

Hi Esben,

I too have been following your designs and this is a great next step, good job!

A possible new challenge, perhaps? Create opening doors on BOTH sides of the train (as far as I can see, your design already has the room for it), and make it possible to open them independently from one another, just like real life trains. :)

Greetings,

Michel