Sign in to follow this  
Sean

Imperial Ship - The Corinthian

thindexedgif.gif 19c

I havent named it yet, but I do have my first picture of the ship I was promising. I'll have better pictures later, this one will just be able to give you all an idea of it.

corinthian_26.jpg

View the Brickshelf Gallery

There has been a Phes Edit in this thread to ensure this MOC gets as many responses as it possibly can.

Very nice, but I think you should remove a deck considering it's length. The two big flags on the back is a little bit of overkill maybe you should just have one centered flag. I am also curious to why there is a musket hanging on the outside of the hull and why there is a sailor standind on a small ledge slightly below that musket. And as with every ship I think it will look even better with some string riggings. ;-)

You should definitely remove the upper deck. Or keep it but make the ship much longer and a bit wider to keep the right proportion. And it definitely needs strings and sails!

What I do like are the colours - a really nice combination.

Very nice, but I think you should remove a deck considering it's length. The two big flags on the back is a little bit of overkill maybe you should just have one centered flag. I am also curious to why there is a musket hanging on the outside of the hull and why there is a sailor standind on a small ledge slightly below that musket. And as with every ship I think it will look even better with some string riggings. ;-)

When I first this ship saw it I was reminded of a steamboat.

Lewis%20steamboat.jpg

I think I'm with Mr Dreamweb and Mr Oo7 on this one - the upper deck is a bit much. So I suppose to balance the ship better you could remove it or make the ship longer. Of course making things longer uses more pieces so its probably easier to remove the second deck.

But don't modify it because of what we write, I think the question is are you happy with how it turned out Mr Sean?

I was pretty happy considering I hadn't done anything on this scale in a loong time, being in high school time can be hard to come by for 10 months out of the year. I did manage to come upon some thread however, so it does now have rigging to a point, and I also liked the idea of having just one flag in the back. The removing the deck isn't a bad idea either, I was debating if I would go through with it or not when I built it. However, for this ship anyways, it will be a nice stocky build.

If you don't like it, tell the 11 cannon broadside :)

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=191998

When its moderated, that is the finished ship. I may be adding a few more pictures later, but thats mostly what you'll get it. If you have any more advice, please let me know, like I said, last time I built an MOC was about 2 years ago, and I haven't done the pirate before (although I always have been a fan of the theme)

Thanks again!

God Bless, Sean

Mr Sean, since you're happy with this ship does that mean you're going to leave it as is regardless of what others think? Not that you should modify it (i.e. remove the upper deck) just because of someone's opinion. Never do that unless you agree with them!

Actually Mr. Phes (you may call me Sean by the way if you would like), I do plan on leaving it as is for a few days. That however, is more so that the family room can stay clean long enough that my parents would be okay when I mess it up again hehe.

However, I definitely enjoy all of the feedback and am taking it into account. I do want to see how well this looks with the one deck removed, and since that would make it easier to also add a midsection, i may try that as well and have a longer, lighter sister ship of sorts. Did anyone have anything else they'd think would be a cool change?

I also have thought about doing a smaller ship first, or starting a port, but the latter would take a slight bit longer.

By the way, I assume this has been entered in our pirate theme challenge?

You might want to check with Mr SuvieD about how to enter this competition. Perhaps you should post in his thread with a link to this thread and that should make it pretty clear that this is an entry.

It sounds like you've got some inspiration for future MOCs, it'll be interesting to see what you come up with.

This is the same ship as the one in the thread that Norro created not much long ago so something should be done to make it clear that both is the same MOC. Is Corinthian the name you have chose for this ship?

I do want to see how well this looks with the one deck removed, and since that would make it easier to also add a midsection, i may try that as well and have a longer, lighter sister ship of sorts. Did anyone have anything else they'd think would be a cool change?

Are you going to go ahead and do this?

Yes, I do plan on doing that. I have been debating on if I want to add sails first however (just the simple glue two pieces of paper together), before I move on to other ships. Would you consider that something I should do or does it look ok with just the masts and rigging?

Once that is done and I get about 4 pictures, I'll do those modifications.

I'd consider doing both!

Add sails then take pictures. Providing you can attach them using a system in which they're easily removable. Or if you're using paper you could just make quick temporary sails for the pictures just to see how they look.

This way you'll know what it looks like both ways.

Sounds like a good plan, I may be able to have the pictures with sails up by tonight, and then use saturday to make those other changes.

withsails1.jpg

With the sails I don't think the upper deck looks all that bad, however the ship still looks too short and is in definite need of lengthening. I assume that lengthening the ship will also balance its height better so maybe the upper can work really well. But we all know what assumption is!

Exactly which changes have you decided to make? Are you going to remove the upper deck or are you going to lengenth it? Or are you going to do both?

I plan on doing both actually. That might give me a chance to put some more detail into the two decks that I have, as well as allow me to add a third mast and add some 'speed' to the ship. Would you suggest anything else?

First I'd be wondering exactly what "details" you're planning to put into the decks?

Other than that I'd say if its possible just make a few changes at a time so we can observe the "evolution" of the design. So go make your propose changes, take and post pics, then we'll give you feedback so you can decide what you want to do next.

I was just hoping to add a little more to them other than a floor and cannons on it. I'll see how well that seems to go. I will definitely try to do the step by step modifying also, thats a pretty good idea.

I will definitely try to do the step by step modifying also, thats a pretty good idea.

I find that to be the best method at least for me. Sometimes it'll be a year before I find inspiration to make modifications to a moc, but the suggestions made here motivate me to try new changes sooner. Even if they initialy seem undesirable, I'll at least try it, and possibly improve a moc greatly. On the other hand, don't feel obligated to to use all the suggestions if they detract from your desired outcome. It is important for it to take the shape you want, but the primary goal is to have fun. X-D