Sign in to follow this  
VerSen

Review 4194 Whitecap Bay (part 1 and 2)

thindexedgif.gif

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN 4194 WHITECAP BAY REVIEW

The fourth movie of The Pirates of The Caribbean series named "The Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" is going be released in May 2011.

However, some secrets of the story will be revealed to LEGO fans in April with new licensed theme “LEGO The Pirates of the Caribbean”!

Set Information

Set Number: 4194

Set Line: Pirates of the Caribbean

Release Date: April 2011

Detail number: ???

Minifigures: 6

Links: Brickset; BrickLink; Peeron; Bricker.

MSRP: ???

The box and packing

The glossy box is sealed with tape - no need to damage the package! One can notice the box is very colorful.

Caribbean_4194_5336.jpg

The reverse presents set's features and i'd say it has a lot of them.

Caribbean_4194_5337.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5338.jpg

Let's take a look inside...

Caribbean_4194_5339.jpg

All paper elements are stored in special packet with a cardboard to protect against creases. You asked for it!!!

Caribbean_4194_5340.jpg

This is everything we receive with the sets:

Caribbean_4194_5341.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5343.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5344.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5375.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5376.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5377.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5378.jpg

Since the poster is A0 format, it's hard to take the whole picture at once. Here's some scenes from the poster:

Caribbean_4194_5342.jpg

The mermaid tail is the new brilliant detail of this series!!! These are packed individually in plastic bags.

Caribbean_4194_5345.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5349.jpg

More new pieces - small bucket!!! Such a nice and useful thing:

Caribbean_4194_5350.jpg

The net for catching mermaids (two pieces included):

Caribbean_4194_5351.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5352.jpg

Minifigures

As long as noone has seen the whole movie at the moment, the names may not be familiar. The following characters are presented in the set:

Caribbean_4194_5353.jpg

One can recognize Captain Jack Sparrow, who finally decided to dress up:

Caribbean_4194_5355.jpg

Caribbean_32.jpg

There's no way to take the hat off... it's one piece - hat and hair:

Caribbean_28.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5356.jpg

The absolutely new character is included - his hame is on the box. New torsos are magnificent!

Caribbean_4194_5357.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5358.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5359.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5360.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5361.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5362.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5363.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5364.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5365.jpg

And now we'll turn to absolute favorites - the mermaids (sirens?):

Caribbean_4194_5366.jpg

When compared to previous LEGO mermaids, the new ones more accurate (if one can tell this about fairy creature):

Caribbean_4194_5346.jpg

Direct comparison:

PIRATES_6243_45.jpg

The new mermaid can stand on her tail and she become similar to usual minifigures in height.

Caribbean_4194_5347.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5348.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5367.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5368.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5369.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5370.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5371.jpg

According to the movie’s trailer "everyone needs a mermaid", so they should be caught using nets:

Caribbean_4194_5372.jpg

Wow… The Jack’s image is rather nice for the mermaid:

Caribbean_4194_5373.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5374.jpg

Complete set pictures and conclusion you can see in part 2.

Edited by VerSen

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN 4194 WHITECAP BAY REVIEW

Part 1.

Complete set pictures

The exterior of the lighthouse:

Caribbean_4194_5379.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5382.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5380.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5381.jpg

Let's take a close look at the set's features....

Function 1 – dumoing of barrel.

Caribbean_4194_5406.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5384.jpg

Function 2 – some kind of barrier (could be found out after movie)...

Caribbean_4194_5383.jpg

Function 3 – entrance into the lighthouse.

Caribbean_4194_5385.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5386.jpg

There is the table for two and the bottle inside:

Caribbean_4194_5392.jpg

Function 4 – the lighthouse itself and !attention! – light brick.

Caribbean_4194_5388.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5387.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5394.jpg

Function 5 – destroying of the lighthouse tower. Wonderfull feature!

Caribbean_4194_5389.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5391.jpg

The top of the lighthouse is not fixed at all and is kept in place using 1*1 tiles:

Caribbean_4194_5393.jpg

The front:

Caribbean_4194_5401.jpg

The back:

Caribbean_4194_5402.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5403.jpg

Pushing the side wall – it falls and...

Caribbean_4194_5404.jpg

... the whole structure collapses!

Caribbean_4194_5405.jpg

It seems that Capitan Jack Sparrow is participating in that...

Caribbean_4194_5408.jpg

Function 6 – the cannon throwing the net. Excellent working cannon!

Caribbean_4194_5395.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5396.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5397.jpg

Function 7 – the cannon moves on the rails and opens the gates of hangar.

Caribbean_4194_5399.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5398.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5400.jpg

And a couple more pictures with the characters:

Caribbean_4194_5407.jpg

Caribbean_4194_5409.jpg

Rating

Box: 10 (it was very nice to see that box is not big, and free space inside is minimum)ж

Packing: 9 (all paper production are in special plastic bag, but the gold outside...);

Construction part and the billing: 10 (interesting construction with some unusual and uncommon ideas);

Minifigures: 10 (extremely interesting: new torsos, heads, part and minifigures in general);

Details: 10 (very interesting and useful for pirate/castle/adventures term);

New details and minifigures: 10 (the set has a lot of them);

Playability: 10 (excellent!!! many functions for play);

Design: 10 (harmonious and impressive);

Price: 7.5 (license set...);

Quality: 7.5 (bad print on the mermaid beautiful face and on some torsos);

Overall: 94/100! Probably this set is the most functional in the new line as long as in the whole 2011 LEGO range!!!

Edited by VerSen

VerSen has achived 25k+ views of three PotC review at www.phantoms.su

Are there any chances EuroBricks will beat this record? :)

Was looking for close-ups of new black boats... Found nothing btw...

Great early review!!!

Thank you so much for the review. I want this set even more, including all the others. After I'm done with my law school finals, I'll be rewarding myself by picking POTC sets up!

I have a question, hopefully you can answer, do the new sword sheathes work with the Castle swords? i.e., do they fit?

I already saw your reviews of this set, Ilsa de Muerta and Cannibal Escape on the other website. It's nice to be able to read it. I am just curious, do you have all of the sets and are you planning to post reviews for all of them?

Nice review but uhhh... this belongs in Pirates, a mod will probably move it. :hmpf_bad:

Nice review though! :classic:

Thanks for the excellent review, VerSen! I saw it when it was in Russian over at the other website, but a lot of the pictures didn't show up for me, and I didn't understand a word you said. So thanks also for taking the time to translate it and post it here :thumbup: .

I love those mermaids so much! The new tails are brilliant, and new female faces are a definite plus. I also really adore hat new hairpiece on Syrena. The lighthouse is well designed, and has lots of excellent play features. But why did they include three gold bars, when only one is used?

Thanks again, VerSen. I look forward to seeing your other reviews in English!

Thanks for the excellent review, VerSen! I saw it when it was in Russian over at the other website, but a lot of the pictures didn't show up for me, and I didn't understand a word you said. So thanks also for taking the time to translate it and post it here :thumbup: .

I love those mermaids so much! The new tails are brilliant, and new female faces are a definite plus. I also really adore hat new hairpiece on Syrena. The lighthouse is well designed, and has lots of excellent play features. But why did they include three gold bars, when only one is used?

Thanks again, VerSen. I look forward to seeing your other reviews in English!

Are you seriously complaining about there being more of those great gold bars! I'm just upset that on the box for Isla de Muerta the bars are shown as chrome but are actually just pearl gold. As for that new hairpiece on Syrena, it is my favourite female hairpiece ever, and I don't even have it! :laugh:

Excellent review, but yes this belongs in the Pirates forum. :wink:

Now I will say what an AWESOME playset it is, especially the collapsing building part ! :grin:

Brick On the high seas 'VerSen' and thanks for this review too ! :sweet:

Nice to see such a detailed LEGO set, the architecture is fantastic! I love all the great play features too, kids'll love the exploding feature :devil:. However a picture of the light function in the dark would be nice.

Are you seriously complaining about there being more of those great gold bars! I'm just upset that on the box for Isla de Muerta the bars are shown as chrome but are actually just pearl gold. As for that new hairpiece on Syrena, it is my favourite female hairpiece ever, and I don't even have it! :laugh:

Goodness, no, I'm not complaining :laugh: ! I'm very happy to see more gold bars. I just don't understand why they've not used them in the set. And I agree, it's a little disappointing that they're pearl gold instead of chrome, but they're still great new parts none the less!

Awesome review! I saw this on the Russian site, but it's nice to have English words :thumbup:

VerSen, thank you for officially sharing this review to EB. I've seen this before in the Pirates forum and it's really nice to see every detail of this set through the various angles and the overall excellent photography. :thumbup: This may not be the best set in the PoTC line, but it sure has some interesting new pieces to offer. But it's still a pass for me, and I'd just divert resources in getting QAR.

Thanks for translating but most importantly for taking all these crisp and clean images. This license looks really promising, though the price is steep. According to BN, the MSRP for this set is $80 USD. :sceptic: How many pieces are there? I don't see it on the box.

Nice review but uhhh... this belongs in Pirates, a mod will probably move it. :hmpf_bad:

Nice review though! :classic:

Even though it's pirates...it's a licensed theme, so shouldn't it be in here?

This set looks really nice, but it's overpriced (same price as the lastest Kingdoms castle, where I am, for a much smaller set). The mini-figs are realy nice, but they'll be repeating soon enough. After my fourth Indy and Anakin, I learned to count them as non-figs.

Good review (esp. your photos), but I won't be picking this up unless it is on sale.

Great review of what is definitely one of the standout sets of the PotC line. There's simply nothing I don't love about it: the minifigs are great, the parts, the look and size of the whole set. Even though I am an adult, I still get excited when a set looks like a complete 'adventure in a box' (something which the Lego Adventurers line really did well back in the day), and this one certainly delivers on that front again.

I really, REALLY can't wait to get this set, along with the QAR, when it is released.

Edited by Alldarker

You couldn't know about it but I believe we decided to do the PotC stuff (even though it's licensed) in the Pirate Forum.

So if you make more reviews you could place them there.

That's also where I'm going to blog it :pirate:

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Thanks for the review! The pictures are very clear and the set looks interesting.

Wonderful review! Your pictures are to notch. But I wish there was more writing explaining the review.

Thank you for doing this, I do have one question though, when you show the close up of the Jack Sparrow minifig from this set, underneath you have 4 shots of a different Jack yet you don't explain where they are from our why they are in this review? Do you have more of these sets?

Man... this looks like a great set. It's on my wish list for sure. Thanks for the great early review! :classic:

Thank you for doing this, I do have one question though, when you show the close up of the Jack Sparrow minifig from this set, underneath you have 4 shots of a different Jack yet you don't explain where they are from our why they are in this review? Do you have more of these sets?

Yes, I believe she does have more. I think that VerSen has all the sets except London Escape and Queen Anne's Revenge (there was a picture over in the PotC Discussion Thread of all the boxes). She has done reviews of Isla de la Muerta, Captain's Cabin and Cannibal Island, but they are in Russian. There's links to them all in the PotC Discussion thread.

Yes, I believe she does have more.
Actually these sets are not owned by VerSen. These were granted for the certain time for review purposes.
She has done reviews of Isla de la Muerta, Captain's Cabin and Cannibal Island, but they are in Russian. There's links to them all in the PotC Discussion thread.
Actually the author of the text of the review of "The Captian's Cabin" is me, VerSen has made great pictures for the review. I think I'll be able to translate/rewrite the review in English and publish it at EB. Also VerSen is working of translating reviews to let EB visitors read these without using Google online translator service.