MetroiD

Opening 9V Battery Box

I recently bought something off of eBay and along with it got a 9V battery box, of the ancient 4-wide variety, which is crucial to the "thing"'s functioning. Unfortunately, despite its perfect appearance, the battery box hasn't exactly been stored properly and battery acid has obviously been allowed to leak into it. I tried cleaning it up a bit and removing some of the acid stains from the connector, which brought back some life to it, as demonstrated by a silent, quickly dying whine when testing the battery with the 9V sound siren.

I'd like to take apart the entire battery box, if possible, and try to clean the metal connectors - or even replace them. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a "legitimate" way to do that, so I was wondering whether any one of you guys had any idea and could help. Thanks in advance.

P.S.: Just a sidenote: I'm aware of the fact that alcohol should help solve the problem with leaked battery acid, but I'm not sure if that's the only issue here. That's why I'm really looking for ways to actually disassemble the 9V battery box - of course, without permanently damaging it.

Hey there!

Too bad there's a leak in your 9v battery case.

Your question made me curious about how to disassemble it.

I fiddled with mine for a bit and took the metal connectors inside that are under the power switch/

I guess what's causing the problem with your battery box.

It's fairly easy to seperate - just don't use your nails! :)

Here are some images, hope they explain how the bit with the metal connectors is held in place - just two "snaps".

What i did is try to flex and expand the box casing and pull the small bit out.

post-9321-130295020662.jpg

post-9321-130295021368.jpg

post-9321-130295021912.jpg

Beer incomming?

Duck and cover! :D

Anyway, if you need any help - i'd love to take part!

I just LOVE fixing stuff!

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I want to add that you can also remove additional metal connectors:

IMG-20220217-231403.jpg

Also, the metal connector on the right side of the "small bit" can also be removed, VERY gently pry it off by wiggling it a bit:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Hope this helps someone.

Edited by hsousa