Dread Pirate Wesley

The Pickle: Now under sail

Nice job!

But I have to wonder why anyone would name a ship "The Pickle" :pir-tongue:

I wonder the same thing! Though I assure you it is based on a real ship.

Thanks again everyone for the comments. This weekend I spent some time on the sails and completed the fore-topsail, and the jib and staysails (though I haven't attached the staysail yet):

5610934843_04755646f1_z.jpg

5610934801_aa3dbe1553_z.jpg

The topsail I sewed onto the yard arm at 1cm intervals and I think it turned out rather well

5610934713_60559377f7_z.jpg

The jib I sewed onto rigid 3mm tubes, connected in the middle and secured on the ends by technic pins.

1292773263-31801-0.jpg

I then tied it to the rigging on the top and bottom.

5610934759_79bfe541e5_z.jpg

Next up is the mainsail and attaching the staysail. This is my first time making custom sails so any advice or criticisms is welcome!

:jollyroger: DPW

I wonder the same thing! Though I assure you it is based on a real ship.

I have no idea how accurate it is, but I found a pretty good article about the Pickle:

H M Schooner Pickle (www.exeterflotilla.org)

It offers a possible explanation on why the Pickle was so named.

And, let me say that I really like your MOC, particularly how the stern is constructed in order to get a less abrupt curve than what is offered by the regular hull pieces.

That is an interesting article cb4! Though it doesn't really explain why the first Pickle was named that way. Perhaps it will remain a mystery...

Here she is now under sail for the first time:

5638005816_48bb43308e_z.jpg

Making her way inland, perhaps around the coastal waters of France:

5637430437_4c6a749bf2_z.jpg

And finally offset from Nelson's weather column at Trafalgar, an eyewitness to a rare action. The Victory and Temeraire are leading the line in the background:

5637541719_3325531a4c_z.jpg

My first set of custom sails, so comments and criticisms are appreciated! She's mostly complete for now, thanks for looking and everyones comments :thumbup:

Wow she really looks great with the sails. :pir-wub: I personally like them. How long did it take you to stich them to the ropes and yards? Fine craftmansship for a man :pir-laugh: In my eyes, it's worth another blog! The Picutres are great, with the custom backround attached. Nicely done, too!

Would you like to make the sails for my ships, too? :pir_laugh2:

Looks excellent with those sails, and you also did a great job on the photo-editing.

As I said I like the sails, but I do have a suggestion. It's a small ship, so it can be made very detailed.

On the decks you already did that, but perhaps the sails could use a little more detail.

As you can see on this picture, there are quite a lot of lines on the sails, and especially the horizontal ones are quite visible on most pictures.

So you could perhaps draw some lines on it (maybe with pencil, like I did in my tutorial).

It's just a suggestion though, and your clean look also has its charme.

When you've really finished this ship, you can make a new thread of it and we'll blog it.

Right now our blog is filled with all the PotC reviews so I won't blog this update. I hope you understand :pir-classic:

Good luck on the final touches!

Aalak: Wow she really looks great with the sails. I personally like them. How long did it take you to stich them to the ropes and yards?

Well the stitching took less time than the photo editing if thats any indication! It was really quite straight forward, I drew lines at 1cm intervals where they would be sewed to the yards, and the yards provided the spacing I needed to make it look even. Hardest part was not stabbing my fingers but you get the hang of that after the first few pokes.

Admiral Croissant: perhaps the sails could use a little more detail

Thanks for the tip Admiral. Ive been trying to find the right balance between detail and character for the sails to match the ship. It would not be difficult to draw every line on the sails, but I think it will look too busy. I think the right balance might be to add the horizontal lines only, where the reef points are. I think that would look the best since the hull is really quite simple in colors and details. The jib and staysail I will leave plain, except for improving the clews. It will look a little like this with really prominent reef lines, maybe sewed in to complete the effect:

LYNX%20BEST-%20Head%20on_edited-1-1.jpg

Dont worry I think one blog is enough! Is it possible to change the thread title though? Like "The Pickle: Now under sail" or something like that? I couldnt figure out how to do that. Thanks!

Is it possible to change the thread title though? Like "The Pickle: Now under sail" or something like that? I couldnt figure out how to do that. Thanks!

Done! I believe you could do it yourself though, or you need to have a certain amount of posts.

You could try it by editing your first post, then click "use full editor" and it may be possible.

Outstanding vessel !

Good job !

would like to see some more ships from you sir

This is a great ship. And you created it into a piece of art work. Nice!

Please refrain from bumping old topics when you are only going to say it's a great ship.

We don't mind if you bump an old thread if you have something to add that is relevant to the thread or some new discussion about the topic.

This post is not like that.

What made you come up with such an odd name?

Actually, I didn't come up with it. It is based on a historical ship that was the smallest ship present of the battle of Trafalgar in 1805. She carried the dispatches of Nelson's death and the British victory back to Portsmouth.

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley

Looks very clean and detailed. Certainly one of the best small ships.

Are you planning to add ratlines to the shrouds? That would look really awesome! If you glue them it can be done in 3-4 hours.

I owe you a long overdue thank you for the many building technique inspirations gleaned over the past few years from both Pickle and Persephone. Still not 100% sure how you achieved the tapered stern on this build though? Could you give me a little pointer, I'm tired of the constraints of the factory moulded hull and would like to try completely brick built hulls.

I owe you a long overdue thank you for the many building technique inspirations gleaned over the past few years from both Pickle and Persephone. Still not 100% sure how you achieved the tapered stern on this build though? Could you give me a little pointer, I'm tired of the constraints of the factory moulded hull and would like to try completely brick built hulls.

Happy to give some inspiration! I apologize for the delayed response. I too was feeling to restricted by the traditional Lego hull pieces. This led to a lot of experimentation that ultimately led to both ships. The taper towards the stern is achieved by two hinges around midships. There are also hinges at the taffrail at the extreme stern of the ship to join it together. That allowed me to achieve the narrow look as she runs aft. Hope that helps!

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley