Sign in to follow this  
Tigertamer

Santa Fe Super Chief Limited Edition

Hello,

I have a question to the Santa Fe Super Chief. I saw a certificate for this train that every locomotive has its own number, because it is limited. I want to buy this train on ebay but I'm not sure if there must be such a certicicate. In the review here on EB was no picture. So has the normal set such a certificate or only a special version of this train. I hope you understand what I mean.

The same question I've got with the Burlington Northern Santa Fe, but there I didn't saw such a certificate.

Thanks and greetings

Andreas

The Santa Fe Super Chief Limited Edition had two 1 x 2 tiles with AXXXX numbers printed on them for each set. A few years ago TLG sold numbers A0001 through A0010 of this set on ebay for charity. They made 9,999 sets.

Bruce

I think the thing is there's a "regular" version and a "limited" version, the limited has the numbered certificates.

There were two versions of the Santa Fe loco set (10020), one with the limited edition certificate and number tiles and one without.

There was no limited edition BNSF set (10133)

Do you want to buy it MISB on eBay? If yes, have a close look at photos of the box. There is a yellow line on each box in the right-hand lower corner with "limited edition" printed on it when it's the version you are looking for. If this yellow line is not there, it's the normal version without the special tiles.

I have to inform you that the limited edition came with some parts in the wrong colour. These pieces were bars. TLC realised that they had made a mistake and delivered a little plastic bag with the correct pieces in addition to the box. What I want to say is that that plastic bag is NOT in the box. Make sure that the seller has still got those extra pieces or you'll probably be a bit disappointed.

By the way, there are some limited edition versions available on bricklink.com.

There is a yellow line on each box in the right-hand lower corner with "limited edition" printed on it when it's the version you are looking for.

Here's a picture of the limited edition box:

14-box.jpg

What I want to say is that that plastic bag is NOT in the box.

I could be wrong, but if memory serves me correct, I received extra bars in my box. It was a Limited Edition.

Here's a picture of the 1x2 tiles:

16-limited.jpg

Good luck with your purchase!

I could be wrong, but if memory serves me correct, I received extra bars in my box. It was a Limited Edition.

Maybe TLC corrected this error with limited edition super chiefs that were produced a bit later. I have got two limited edition engines (one is still MISB) and both had that separate bag, which was not in the box. The bars in the box are the wrong colour.

Edited by legotrainfan

Hello,

thanks for your great replies. I don't think I'll buy a limited edition because it is too expensive, especially because it has no engine. In Germany you get the regular version for 90€ and the limited for 160€. I would love to have it but to pay 70€ more only because of two special tiles is too heavy.

Greetings

Andreas

@all

does anyboday know if the missing parts were forgotton in all limited edition packages or only in the first ones? i found two sealded limited packages at home where one has the missing parts attached and the other one does not.

thanks for clarification.

rgds

What was they color of the bars if they were the wrong ones, and were they the long ones at the "front doors" (umbrella stand)?

I have one engine with dark grey ones while they are supposed to be red. Could that mean it's a Limited Edition? Actually, since the only difference between the regular and the limited edition one seems to be a tile with a number, I don't really care if it is.

the color bars were made in old dark grey and red

they were replaced with light grey and red in a service pack you can get this service set on bricklink cheap

also the limited did not come with 2 numbered tiles just 1 and 1 that said lego

Depends on how you define "worth". A complete Santa Fe is quite an expensive purchase nowadays anyway and you can take that from me, I got my SF engine over 2 years ago and I still haven't bought the wagons because getting four or five of them, as I would like, would cost a small fortune. I'm even considering building them off Bricklink, although that won't be cheap either. So in that sense, I'd suggest you concentrate on that first.

As a direct answer - what you get with the limited edition is the following:

* a couple of 1x2 red tiles with the LEGO print on them

* printed tiles with the train No.

* a few pieces in different colours

* certificate of authenticity

It's your call on whether it's worth the extra cash. To me, it wasn't.

Would you buy the normal set or is the limited edition worth the extra.

There's almost no difference, except perhaps in resale value (check bricklink to see prices).

If you plan on opening it, just buy the regular one. i have one coming shortly and i can hardly wait. Yes i know that the cars are going to set me back, but i love my trains and it is worth it.

I purchased just the "regular" Super Chief. I wanted it since I was young but could not afford it.

I have been totally enamored with it since it arrived. I got the original box, minifigs and building instructions with my purchase. It was spendy but well worth the "used" price.

As far as Lego trains go, it is my absolute favorite. The colors are so vivid and complimentary. It is much bulkier and heavier than I thought. It absolutely commands attention when it is on my layout. Even standing still it draws 'oohs' and 'ahhs' from onlookers. I thought the Burlington-Northern Santa Fe was awesome but this smokes it...

My brother-in-law is a 30 year employee (Engineer) of the Santa Fe Railroad. His son is also employed by Santa Fe as a Train Master. They both loved Lego's rendition of the Super Chief, and I don't even have one of the passenger cars to show them yet...

Not even the new Maersk train will replace this kit in my heart...

Would you buy the normal set or is the limited edition worth the extra.

Remember the "I'm Rich" app for the iPhone?

You'll get the same gratification from having a numbered certificate for the Sante Fe Limited edition.

Not to belittle collectors or people who bought early enough to get the limited edition, or if you're a collector, that's great; but if you want a great looking train for your layout, then why pay extra?

Don't get me wrong... if I could go back in time and get the limited when it was available, I would, but at this point it seems pointless to pay more unless you're a collector.

There's a topic very similar to this one that was posted a few months ago. The Limited Edition Super Chief is discussed in the topic. I've merged together.