Saint

Clone turbo Tank

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Hello.

I've been working hard on this MOC for a couple of weeks now, specially for the upcoming BeLUG meeting on the 30 April-1 May. I had this idea for some time, so when I was bored with my work I started planning , searching for parts and slowly building this beast of a Tank.

Personally , I found that the back of the tank was a little undersized, so I made it a little bigger than usual, I find it better in-line with the overall feel of the model : here the general link My Turbotank.

The tank has a few things as well : side-doors big, 2 smaller doors , on one side a rappel cord and 2 rocket launchers , the observation tower is present as well, the bigger gun turret in the back, and a rotating com-disk in the front.

ctt_by_saint.jpg

I know that the wheels should be gray with a lot of stripes, but as LEGO goes, this was the best option I could think of .. It holds a lot of Minifig-stands :classic: .. A total of 400 ! :sweet: .. It can be broken down in a few sections as well, top, frame wheels and all the itty-bitty things can come of.

ctt2_by_saint.jpg

As my tiny supply of bley is running out, I will not have the chance of building anything on the inside yet, but I want to improve the model bit by bit .. as far as I can take it with interior and a command-center perhaps, maybe I'll start with the cockpit first.. who knows.

C&C is welcome, please don't point out what I know, I'm my own worst critic :wacko: .. Feel free to ask almost anything .

Grtz Saint

Edited by KielDaMan
Deeplinked larger photos for better appreciation of the MOC/fixed some typos

Amazing creation, in size and details. One of the The best Clone Turbo Tank/Juggernaut MOCs I've come across. And holy moly, 400 minifig stands... default_oh.gif

The overall look is spot on and I think the wheels themselves look alright, though I feel they could be spaced a little further apart, they seem too tightly spaced and the overhang at the back is a bit large. I guess this would mean quite some changes to the structure around the wheels however.

And two questions: How stable is that thing and can it actually roll on those wheels?

Actually : very stable, and it can roll on a texured surface, not on our floor, I've put a blanket under it and that worked fine :sweet: . Not connected to the underside it's fine, the underside is about 8 studs, so the model gets wobly if I only take the wheels off.

The overhang of the model on both sides is about 8 studs on the frame , so I had very little room to fiddle with the wheels. the wheels themselfs are quite big and (to my own suprise ) sturdy, only connected to the frame with the axle's .

Edited by Saint

Now that is an absolutely amazing CTT creation Saint! You really did an exemplary job attaining the proper minifig-scale size of the CTT. The overall design and detailing are pretty much spot-on, and the use of the CMS minifig stands for the wheels are very ingenious. Certainly a most impressive piece of art, thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

BTW, I took the liberty of posting larger photos for better appreciation of this wonderful build. :wink:

Very nice. This is the third time I've seen a CTT this size, and there's plenty new here. Your wheels definitely stand out. I don't really like the gappiness on the sides, but the centers are excellent; I like that you didn't settle for a 1 x n tile (or tiles) there. The only thing that I really don't like is how the armor is plated some places and tiled in others, because IMO armor should be all plated or all tiled except for where there are greebles or the like, but I understand your lack of light bley with a model of this size, so the only other thing I'll say concerning that is that I can't wait to see where you go with this. :sweet:

Thanks !

Thnx KielDaMan for adding the bigger picture's , I got some errors while placing mine, so I added some thumbs, just can't seem to get that part right :wink:

@ Brickdocter : I don't like it either , but like you say , it's all about tiles or not ( 2 tile or not 2 tile, that is the question :grin: ), for now the tiles I used are there for the structual soundness , not as armour plating , keep in mind that the slopes are not more that 2 plates thick, mostly that I want to add interieur aswell :sweet:

Can't do much about the gaps on the wheels for now..

Woo, it seems it is time for Juggernaut. ^^

I say that cause I'm working on it too. :p

I would appreciate to see how you built the wheels inside. Hinged bricks ?

Anio

@ Anio :

I used the 7041 troll battle wheel for inspiration for the wheels. 2x16 hinges in 1 wheel . for added support I used 2x8 plates underneath and 1x2 bricks on the sides, with the CMS plates I find that it works really well :sweet:

The best CTT I have seen 'Saint', those wheels really sell it and another use the those 3x4 black minifig mounts ! :grin:

Carry out some of the things the good doctor has suggested and you send this creation into the AWESOME arena ! :grin:

May the brick be with you always ! :classic:

This looks great saint.

If your looking for and interior you could try This. And those wheels are great where did you get all those bases?

Well done

Whoa! *oh2*

That's one friggin' awesome Clone Turbo Tank you've done there. :thumbup:

The wheels are geniously done, I knew there'd be a great use for those minifig stands and this IS it!

Also the gun turret on the front is a pretty neat solution.

The sheer size of this thing is amazing - congrats on keeping it soo well detailed at that scale.

Bravo!

blogged

First of al, amazing MOC!

As my tiny supply of bley is running out, I will not have the chance of building anything on the inside yet, but I want to improve the model bit by bit .. as far as I can take it with interior and a command-center perhaps, maybe I'll start with the cockpit first.. who knows.

Tiny supply of bley? :tongue:

Wow! I am speechless! It's soooooo huge and massive and awesome!!! *oh2* *oh2* *oh2*

P. S. More pictures! Please :cry_happy:

I'm glad someone found a use for collectible minifigure stands! :laugh:

In all seriousness, a great model, impressive in scale, detail and in accuracy to the film. Very well done indeed! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Nice. Must have taken a long time to get all those minifig stands (if you got one of every minifig, you would only have 64 (LEGO should release those parts in other sets)). Also, that bley supply is rather HUGE (Though I think I see a few old grey bits mixed in)

Wow, that thing is amazing!! Great job!!

I have been working on a CTT in MLCAD for a little while now. It is probably around the same scale and that is the only solution I found for the wheels as well, brick-built. Although, I used a series of wedges. Similar to the Death Star laser. Wish Lego had bigger wheels or rims.

I love the dome as well.

Is it motorized?? It looks like there are PF motors in there! Or are you using those as shocks?

Can't wait to see more!

Jamie

Edited by jamie75

@ Jamie75 : those are more for show than for use, although they give the model somewhat more sturdiness , these types are more like screws :classic: than the older pneumatic ones, so for a fact I love them !

It doesn't come moterised, I tend to build more MOC than actual working models, though I do use a lot of technic , I also did use some Duplo inside for support :wink: just don't tell anyone :laugh:

In fact I do know 1 other way to build even bigger wheels, those are really big but I have build only the rim, so I can't say if that really works

In the near future I will update my brickshelf with some more picture's as the model comes along, it really is a drain on my bley parts, almost everything else I own is Classic Grey. Thats why the macaroni bricks are indeed Classic Grey and the radardish 8x8 too. I just don't have all the parts .

@ Mister Man : Thanks for the link, I've seen it before, and it holds some nice idea's . :classic:

Edited by Saint

Yes! Another person that loves the Clone Turbo Tank as much as I do! This is absolutely amazing! While not minifigure scale, okay it almost is, it looks good from the out side. Nice work. :thumbup: