XimenaPaulina

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Season 4 Discussion

I liked this one. At least a solid if flawed ending to this arc, which has been pretty good overall.*

The sadness when the clones realize they are killing each other was especially well realized, and this show generally hasn't handled emotion very well.

*Pretty good by action cartoon standards, fantastic by Clone Wars standards.

This episode was my favorite by far, even though one of my favorite clones, Waxer, died. I was actually in shock when the clones realized they were killing eachother, and it made me hate Krell even more. I didn't like how he quoted Palpatine with the whole, 'It's treason, then' thing, but I guess it worked. I can say that I was glad when Dogma shot him, because I just hated him that much, the clones are by far my favorite characters in Star Wars,and I love how they have personalities, and know they arent just droids. So it sucked when they were slaughtered like that,,,, And I want to know how Anakin and Obi-wan react to the whole situation, obviously they dont punish the clones, as they're all in the next episode on those BARCs with side cars.

-'Skintas

I just watched the arc again more carefully. Why can nobody use the terms Battalion or Platoon correctly? Why does the narrator pronounce the word root as rawt. How will the Republic keep control of the planet now are there suddenly more clones than natives or something. Does Fives have a rank?

Does Fives have a rank?

I've been wondering about this myself. Fives is an ARC trooper, so he doesn't fit into the 501st, I don't think. But then it is unclear if Rex outranks him, or what. Obviously Krell outranks Fives, but it's unclear to me how he fits into the Clone command structure.

Also, this might've been brought up before, but why is there no current commander for the 501st? Why is Rex just a Captain?

Because the 501st falls under Anakin's command. He is a general, and Ahsoka, as his padawan, is the commander of that batallion/squad/corps/whatever :wink: (at least that's what I always understood).

And ARC troopers appear to have a different kind of rank system (as told by Fives himself, in an episode once), but it's still unclear whether he outranks Rex or not. I don't think so, actually.

Regards,

Mitch

I've been wondering about this myself. Fives is an ARC trooper, so he doesn't fit into the 501st, I don't think. But then it is unclear if Rex outranks him, or what. Obviously Krell outranks Fives, but it's unclear to me how he fits into the Clone command structure.

Also, this might've been brought up before, but why is there no current commander for the 501st? Why is Rex just a Captain?

ARC troopers have the same level as Captain, or lower, because Captain Fordo was an ARC Trooper. :wink:

The reason the 501st has no acting commander is because Jedi Padawans are Commanders in the clone system, Jedi Knights are Generals, and Jedi Masters are Supreme Generals or something. :wacko:

ARC troopers have the same level as Captain, or lower

No, they can also be commanders, such as Commander Colt.

The reason the 501st has no acting commander is because Jedi Padawans are Commanders in the clone system, Jedi Knights are Generals, and Jedi Masters are Supreme Generals or something. :wacko:

While that makes sense, it isn't kept consistent in the show. Take for example Luminara's Clones, who are led by Commander Gree, and yet Luminara has a Padawan, Barriss.

The whole Republic army system fell apart with the inclusion of Jedi into the ranks. Next to no Jedi have any military experience outside of history lessons, whereas actual officers like Yullarlin have. Jedi work well as ninja monks which is basically what they are, good commandos etc but not commanders, the fact that a 16 year old is a commander in one of the Republics elite legions is redicules.

New trailer for "Kidnapped" here. Looks okay, not as good as Umbara though.

Uhmm, yeah. That's the same trailer that I posted a page or two ago, man.

EDIT: Except that this one is from CN, the one I posted is from SW.com, same trailer though.

Edited by commanderneyo

Promotion. :wink:

True, but I'm just wondering where you found out that piece of information.

Edited by nex

True, but I'm just wondering where you found out that piece of information.

Because if one of the ARCs is a Leiutenant (Leuitenant Havoc), then by the system, being a Commander must be a promotion. It's simple logic. :wink:

Because if one of the ARCs is a Leiutenant (Leuitenant Havoc), then by the system, being a Commander must be a promotion. It's simple logic. :wink:

Wait, who's Lieutenant Havoc?

BTW, who said that Commanders Colt and Blitz got promoted?

Edited by nex

Hey everybody! Just letting you know that the Rebel Bloggers' review of the latest episode is up: http://eurobricksstarwarsforum.com/2011/11/22/the-clone-wars-review-carnage-of-krell/

The reviewers' responses are unusually positive toward what I saw as a poorly written episode. Maybe it's just me...

Edited by fallenangel309

Care to explain why you thought it was so bad?

Mainly Krell, I guess. It's as I said on FBTB:

The moment Krell pulled out his lightsabes in this episode seemed like the moment the scriptwriters gave up on an interesting story and just said "Whatever, we'll make him turn to the dark side" because they couldn't think of anything better. I would also liked to have seen Krell push for victory, and maybe even achieve victory; it would have given us a new view of Jedi at war (within this series anyway).
I do wish they had written in a less cliche explanation for the clones shooting at each other. That should have been a result of Krell's recklessness more than anything else.

I had already hinted before that I would be disappointed if Krell ultimately turned out to be leaning towards the dark side... which is exactly what happened in this episode. I suppose it wasn't unexpected (and I see all three of you have touched on this point), but I wanted the scriptwriters to have an interesting end for this guy, as opposed to this cliche one. In addition, it appears I am the only one who was thrown off by Krell's 'carnage' in this episode, which didn't seem to have much purpose other than to have us see him fighting.

I will say that, in accordance with the thoughts of the reviewers, the action and drama in this arc was good. Not being a regular viewer of the show, the idea of caring about the clones is still something relatively new to me, but the writers did a good job with it.

I had already hinted before that I would be disappointed if Krell ultimately turned out to be leaning towards the dark side... which is exactly what happened in this episode. I suppose it wasn't unexpected (and I see all three of you have touched on this point), but I wanted the scriptwriters to have an interesting end for this guy, as opposed to this cliche one.

Brickdoctor and I said this exactly.

I think really our ratings were a little higher for this episode because it was better than the last two, at least to me. Whereas the last two episodes felt like they were stagnating, this one had things happen and had some character development, leading me to give it a higher grade.

Having the clones chase Krell seemed like a waste of time for me, especially since Krell himself had presented the entire campaign as being dependent on efficiency. I suppose the revelation that Krell consciously ordered the troops against each other negated all of that, but that in itself wasn't all that great of a decision for the episode plot.

What were the Clones supposed to do, just let him go? After he had played all of them, I should think that they would be angry and want to catch him immediately. The only other option would be to radio in about him or something, which doesn't seem all that feasible.

What were the Clones supposed to do, just let him go? After he had played all of them, I should think that they would be angry and want to catch him immediately. The only other option would be to radio in about him or something, which doesn't seem all that feasible.

Eh, I suppose so. I was referring more to a waste of time on Krell's part, though. That is to say, why is he slaughtering clones when he's supposed to be trying to win the war? Oh, wait, he doesn't actually care about winning the war...

Edited by fallenangel309

Exactly. In fact, he was trying to make the Republic loose so that he would look good in front of the Sith, so him massacring all the clones made perfect sense. His revelation at the end explained the whole story arc, and that's why it was such a good episode (aside from the other things mentioned in our review).