JunkstyleGio

April Technic Challenges Competition: Supercar

I wrote this e-mail to Lego Customer Service yesterday:

"The Lego Technic staff has not posted the "Rules and Regulations" for the April 2011 Lego Technic Challenge. All it says on http://consent.lego.com/en-us/PresentTerms.aspx?290dea3a-888e-4be8-953c-217558a47054 is "INSERT TERMS AND CONDITIONS HERE!". It's been that way since April 1st, when the monthly challenge started. Even the contest deadline at the top-right corner of that webpage still says "Deadline March 18th" -- that was LAST MONTH's deadline. What are the rules, and are there any new provisions to fight the overt PLAGIARISM in the March 2011 challenge?"

To which they replied today:

"Dear David, Thank you for getting in touch! David, I am very sorry that you were experiencing difficululties with the website and building competition. We have looked into this and made sure to correct the issue! Now when you go to upload your photo, it will bring you to the upload page where you can enter your photo as well as read the rules of what the entry should contain. Also, our moderation team is always working incredibly hard to make sure that all models meet every criteria and are not of a copy of someone else's model. If you see anything different, you are always free to contact us and point out the one in question. Please don't hesitate to contact us again if you need anything else! Thanks again and happy building!

Jeff

LEGO Direct Consumer Services"

FINALLY (after a week of futility), the April 2011 Lego Technic Challenge Rules and Regulations have been posted.

Edited by DLuders

I wrote this e-mail to Lego Customer Service yesterday:

"The Lego Technic staff has not posted the "Rules and Regulations" for the April 2011 Lego Technic Challenge. All it says on http://consent.lego.com/en-us/PresentTerms.aspx?290dea3a-888e-4be8-953c-217558a47054 is "INSERT TERMS AND CONDITIONS HERE!". It's been that way since April 1st, when the monthly challenge started. Even the contest deadline at the top-right corner of that webpage still says "Deadline March 18th" -- that was LAST MONTH's deadline. What are the rules, and are there any new provisions to fight the overt PLAGIARISM in the March 2011 challenge?"

To which they replied today:

"Dear David, Thank you for getting in touch! David, I am very sorry that you were experiencing difficululties with the website and building competition. We have looked into this and made sure to correct the issue! Now when you go to upload your photo, it will bring you to the upload page where you can enter your photo as well as read the rules of what the entry should contain. Also, our moderation team is always working incredibly hard to make sure that all models meet every criteria and are not of a copy of someone else's model. If you see anything different, you are always free to contact us and point out the one in question. Please don't hesitate to contact us again if you need anything else! Thanks again and happy building!

Jeff

LEGO Direct Consumer Services"

FINALLY (after a week of futility), the April 2011 Lego Technic Challenge Rules and Regulations have been posted.

But if I look to en/us page, the deadline is Friday 19th of April.

This day doesn't exist.

Is it Friday 15th or Tuesday 19th?

It is very important, because in one weekend one could build a lot.

The deadline is Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 (as written on this webpage). This would be consistent with the deadlines set during previous months. The folks slapping in the Rules and Regulatons didn't change the DAY OF THE WEEK, only the date.

On his Flickr photostream, Dikkie Klijn posted his Mini Supercar -- an "entree for the Lego Technic Challenge April 2011.

Features:

- Full independent suspension

- 4 speed gearbox

- A lot of fun"

5619211619_26dba79e74_b.jpg

Is it allowed to submit more than one model for each month?

I will submit

but I am also building a new one.

Is it allowed to submit more than one model for each month?

I will submit

but I am also building a new one.

from lego.com

LIMIT: Every person can submit more entries to the building challenge, but only one (1) entry per person will be considered when the final winners are selected. The 10 winners of the building challenge will be selected by a LEGO jury consisting of LEGO Technic designers and marketing responsible.

Once registered, entrants can submit entries into the Challenge by creating and uploading their own LEGO Technic model using pieces from the LEGO® collection, primarily LEGO® Technic elements. File format must be in .png, .jpg or .gif, and NOT to exceed 2,5 MB in size. The entry must be the entrant’s own work. Once you submit your file, you will be officially entered into the Challenge. Challenge entries cannot be revised or altered once submitted. Once submitted, all submitted components become the property of the Challenge Entities and will not be returned.[/b][/b]

Building Challenge judging will begin at 01:00:00 AM Central European Time (“CET”) on April 19 2011 and will end at 11:59:59 PM CET on April 20 2011.

All entries will be reviewed by a panel of LEGO® Technic Designers based on the following criteria:

creativity,

originality

and theme.

Note, entries must be created using only pieces from the LEGO collection and primarily LEGO® Technic pieces. The 10 models that score the highest cumulative scores in the review will go into a group of Semi-Finalists from which One (1) Grand Prize Winner will be selected by online users of the LEGO Technic web site.

previous months winner.

skyliner

Edited by skyliner

The ten finalists for the April 2011 Lego Technic Challenge have been selected. VOTE for your favorite by the end of April here. I spotted at least two entries that are plagiarized from AFOLs -- the "chevy" (Crowkillers/ Paul Boratko) and the Bugatti Veyron (Ming Thein). They should be disqualified for BLATANT CHEATING. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Here are the finalists. Only 8 of them appear to be legitimate, ORIGINAL entries:

"off road super car" by savrem -- "This is an off-road super car. It has RWD, wing doors, a rear-mounted piston engine, independent suspension, a functional steering wheel, and an opening hood. It uses the big 94.8X44R tires. Please vote!"

37d1e27e-b993-4838-aba8-af28b0b650cb.jpg

"B.V. 16.4" by TLT803 -- "This is the fastest car in the world. Its RC functions are: all wheel drive, return-to-center steering, and mechanical and airfoil braking. Its other functions are: independent suspension, V8 engine, opening doors, spring assisted engine cover opening, and opening cargo compartment."

f6788d04-a11a-4074-b72c-742d680db420.jpg

"V8 Concept Super Car" by biojo619 -- "This super casr has a working V8 engine and steering. The engine is located in the back of the car. It's a one-seater car with two wing doors. There's is also an adjustible/foldable spoiler."

2fac15e2-5d06-40c9-8b85-f18fa274c5c0.jpg

"fully motorized supercar" by ivanluk -- "I have always wanted to create motorized Lego Technic with automatic returnable mechanism of steering. Now the work has done in a half: the mechanism was created, but only in hand mode. Other features are:

-motorized steering (not automatic return)

-motorized drive on back wheels & IR RC-new design."

ee8a805f-0038-48a6-97e9-29e594cb5df8.jpg

"Audi R10 TDI" by 9Volt-boy: -- "This is a red Audi R10 TDI totally made of set 8653. These cars take part in the "24 Hours of Le Mans" race."

1b5f065c-8a53-4b50-9754-bd518c9497f3.jpg

"chevy" by havenlawrence -- "cool car its very cool and fun to play with."

7e532cd4-bd58-4798-9dc4-0f4a8659a3f3.jpg

Crowkillers (Paul Boratko) was selling his Lego Technic 2009 Chevy Camaro on eBay (as noted two-thirds of the way down on this post). It is also documented on the Action Figures Customs Blog. Note the EXACT SAME IMAGE below that was submitted by cheater havenlawrence, and note Crowkillers' e-mail address on one of the images: :angry:

camaro023.jpg

camaro020.jpg

"Lego BMW Z10 Eco-Super Car" by stefstef96 -- "This is my Lego Technic BMW Z10 Eco-Supercar. It is equiped with power functions so that you can steer, drive, and raise the rear supension. By raising the rear suspension, one can put more weight on the back of the car so the super can achieve high speeds as the traction increases. With V6 engine."

4f92ae84-68e7-46af-9716-3db83770e220.jpg

"Bugatti Veyron 16.4" by Luc98lt -- "Engine has 16 cylinders like the real thing, but unlike the real thing, it wasn't possible to attach two cylinders to each lobe of the crank shaft, so this Veyron has a pair of V8s with joined cranks. The car is 4WD."

e581de25-fc74-4e29-bbc3-6e5239381304.jpg

Ming Thein's Lego Technic Bugutti Veyron 16.4 (on MOCpages from December 16, 2008) has the EXACT SAME picture below that cheater Luc98lt submitted. Luc98lt was one of the cheaters caught in the March 2011 Lego Technic Challenge too -- he should be banned for life. :angry:

1229421776m_SPLASH.jpg

"Red Arrow" by Riccio08 -- "This is a sports car, radio-controlled and fully functionally. Under the bonnet there engine that looks like his real correspondent, and it works just the same! In the back side we can find the retractable hardtop, which can be lifted even if the car is moving by using the remote control."

fb694641-1bc9-49e3-babc-018e5c584486.jpg

"bugatti" by joaodavid96 -- "Supercar my friend said looks like a bugatti EB110. With suicide doors and 16 cylinder W engine. Built up modularly from frame chassis."

c4831aec-b896-434e-9d0a-1bfe4c9fd62d.jpg

I am reporting the two blatant cheaters to Lego Customer Service (which seems to be the fastest, most effective way to get TLG Technic Challenge organizers' attention).

I think havenlawrence should have submitted the Yellow Camaro that I did... :thumbup: Why anyone would submit ugly pictures is beyond me...

Then again... I guess that I did take them... :blush:

The Veyron has already been proven a cheat and has been removed. I will review the other claims and take appropriate action (removing entries from competition) if they are valid. Thanks for pointing this out.

Please note that next month we'll be implementing a new requirement to add a "Technic Challenge" printed sheet with competition submissions, which should help weed out this type of plagiarism.

- Kelly

TECHNIC.com Webmaster

The Veyron has already been proven a cheat and has been removed. I will review the other claims and take appropriate action (removing entries from competition) if they are valid. Thanks for pointing this out.

Please note that next month we'll be implementing a new requirement to add a "Technic Challenge" printed sheet with competition submissions, which should help weed out this type of plagiarism.

- Kelly

TECHNIC.com Webmaster

There shouldn't be much to review with the crowkillers Chevy model. He has his name on them. :laugh:

Thanks to the very helpful links in these threads, I've determined that there were three plagiarized MOCs in this month's finalist list. They have been removed.

They are:

• Bugatti Veyron submitted by Luc98lt
  • Chevy submitted by havenlawrence
  • Bugatti submitted by joaodavid96

I've compiled a blacklist of those found to be cheating, and will work with the TECHNIC judging team to help weed out problem submissions before finalists are selected.

- Kelly

Here is a YouTube video that shows one of the 7 finalists for the April 2011 Lego Technic Challenge -- SM96UK's Lego Technic BMW Z10 Eco-Supercar. He wrote, "This is my Lego Technic BMW Z10 Eco-Supercar. I built this model a long time ago and the video has been sitting around on my hard drive for ages!"

20 photos are available on his website http://sm96ukcreations.webs.com/ . For the competition entry, he wrote

""Lego BMW Z10 Eco-Super Car" by stefstef96 -- "This is my Lego Technic BMW Z10 Eco-Supercar. It is equiped with power functions so that you can steer, drive, and raise the rear supension. By raising the rear suspension, one can put more weight on the back of the car so the super can achieve high speeds as the traction increases. With V6 engine."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgWRpCMCwBE

4f92ae84-68e7-46af-9716-3db83770e220.jpgdesktop%20and%20cover%20image.JPG Edited by DLuders