GRogall

2011 LEGO Architecture News & Rumours

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

21007 Rockefeller Center

Parts: 240

Price: GB £34.99 | US $39.99 | DE €??.??

Available: US & Europe! Shop@Home Brickset

Image links to HR version!

a_21007_box_front_800.jpg

Replicate an icon of art deco design- the world famous Rockefeller Center!

Rockefeller Center, located in the center of Midtown Manhattan, New York City,

represents the largest private building project ever undertaken in modern times.

Developed and financed by the Rockefeller family in the 1930s, this 19-building

complex is an example of Art Deco and is famous for the many works of art integrated

into its design. This LEGO® Architecture series interpretation of Rockefeller Center was

designed by architectural artist Adam Reed Tucker.

Rockefeller Center measures 5” (138cm)

Collect the whole series: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Guggenheim Museum, the Space Needle in Seattle,

the Sears Tower and John Hancock Center in Chicago, New York’s Empire State Building and

Rockefeller Center, and The White House in Washington D.C.

Includes information booklet with details on design and detailed history of landmark (English language only)

Architectural replica of the real-world Rockefeller Center

LEGO® Architecture inspires future architects, engineers and designers as well as architecture fans around

the world using the LEGO brick as a medium for reproducing esteemed structures

First HR image of the set! Picture is linked to 2800+ pxl version.

c_21007_detail_1_800.jpg

Instructions for this set!

instructions.gif

21008 Burj Khalifa - Dubai

Parts: 208

Price: GB £22.99 | US $24.99 | DE €24.99

Available: Shop@Home Brickset

a_21008_box_front_800.jpg

BILLUND, Denmark – The LEGO Group has chosen Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest building,

as the latest eye-catching representative of its LEGO®

Architecture series, which celebrates the past, present and future of the worlds’ architecture.

Burj Khalifa, inaugurated on January 4, 2010, towers 828 meters (2,716.5 feet) above Downtown Dubai,

Emaar Properties’ flagship development, billed as ‘The Centre of Now,’ in the United Arab Emirates. It is the

first model in LEGO Architecture’s Landmark series to represent a building outside the United States.

Designed by Chicago architects Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, and developed by Dubai-based Emaar Properties PJSC,

Burj Khalifa has been reproduced in LEGO bricks by Adam Reed Tucker, who has been responsible for the design of

all the LEGO Architecture sets.

The aim of the LEGO Architecture series is to highlight and celebrate the worlds of architecture, engineering and

construction through the representation of iconic and influential buildings, architects and movements.

“As an architectural artist my desire is to capture the essence of a particular architectural landmark in its pure s

culptural form,” says Adam Reed Tucker. “I don’t view my models as literal replicas, but rather my own artistic

interpretations through the use of LEGO bricks as a medium.”

The LEGO Burj Khalifa is available for purchase from June 1 in LEGO brand retail stores, LEGOLAND Stores and

online at http://shop.lego.com/ and online retailers, as well as at the At the Top, Burj Khalifa retail boutique located in The Dubai Mall.

download69ED6BD107FF8358F36AACAD8E4D153D.jpg

download1A8D4ABE966E41927315E0F44B952D1D.jpg

Warning! Following picture links to Ultra HR version! 7000+ .pxl.

c2_21008_detail_1_800.jpg

instructions.gif

21009 Farnsworth House

Parts: 546

Price: GB £54.99 | US $59.99 | DE €59.99

Available: Now Shop@Home Brickset

a_21009_box_front_800.jpg

Farnsworth House, a National Trust Historic Site in Plano, Illinois, will soon be making its debut in miniature plastic brick form when it joins the Lego Architecture series this April.

The Lego Architecture series includes some of America’s most iconic buildings, such as the Seattle Space Needle, Fallingwater,

and the White House. Designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe as a weekend retreat for the Chicago physician Edith Farnsworth,

this steel and glass house is widely considered to be one of the best examples of the Modern style.

The model, which is almost a foot in length and contains 546 pieces, also comes with a booklet containing a wealth of information on Farnsworth House,

including drawings by Elizabeth Milnarik, Associate Architect at the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

g_21009_outline.png

Official information!

Replicate a modern marvel with the famed Farnsworth House™!

Few one-room homes are as strikingly modern and instantly

recognizable as the Farnsworth House™, designed by Ludwig Mies

van der Rohe. This single-story steel structure with floor-to-ceiling

glass walls was meant to open a minimalist interior to nature in an

extreme way. Construction took place from 1945–1951 on a 60-acre

estate beside the Fox River in Plano, Illinois, where it still stands

today. The assembled Farnsworth House model is over 10” (25cm)

wide on a base with printed name label and includes a booklet with

facts about the building, its construction and history.

•Architectural replica of the real-world Farnsworth House™

•Booklet included with details on design and history. (English language only)

•Measures over 10” (25cm) wide and 3” (7cm) tall

downloadE5C9BBB29B9BE05C9662FE7BC99BB5A2.jpg

download061ACAEDC3B043C0AD7BFD2851AC8B68.jpg

Following pictures links to Ultra HR version!

c_21009_detail_1_800.jpg

d_21009_detail_2_800.jpg

instructions.gif

Quote from Wikipedia

The Farnsworth House was designed and constructed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe between 1945-51. It is a one-room weekend retreat in a once-rural setting,

located 55 miles (89 km) southwest of Chicago's downtown on a 60-acre (24 ha) estate site, adjoining the Fox River, south of the city of Plano, Illinois.

The steel and glass house was commissioned by Dr. Edith Farnsworth, a prominent Chicago nephrologist, as a place where she could engage in her hobbies:

playing the violin, translating poetry, and enjoying nature. Mies created a 1,500-square-foot (140 m2) house that is widely recognized as an iconic masterpiece of International Style of architecture.

The home was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2006, after joining the National Register of Historic Places

in 2004.[4] The house is currently operated as a house museum by the historic preservation group, National Trust for Historic Preservation.

21010 Frank Lloyd Wright's "Robie™ House"

Parts: 2276

Price: GB £169.99 | US $199.99 | DE €199.99

a_21010_box_front_800.jpg

picF09994FE62EFA878A6B00DB9B1FD2138.jpg

Frank Lloyd Wright’s Robie House Joins LEGO® Architecture series!

Meet LEGO® Architecture Robie House designer and be the first to get the replica model at a special event at the Robie House, Saturday, Aug. 27

CHICAGO – The Frank Lloyd Wright Preservation Trust is pleased to introduce the LEGO® model of Frank Lloyd Wright’s Robie House.

This newest addition to the LEGO Architecture series is an interpretation of Wright’s most famous Prairie style work.

Designed by architectural artist and Chicagoland resident, Adam Reed Tucker, LEGO Architecture: Robie House is a 16.25”w x 4.75”h x 7.5”l model of the 9,062-square-foot residence.

g_21010_line_drawing.png

LEGO Architecture: Robie House will first be made available to the public at a special event at Robie House (5757 S. Woodlawn Ave. Chicago, IL)

Saturday, August 27 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mr. Tucker, the LEGO Robie House designer, will be in attendance to sign autographs and interact with fans.

LEGO Architecture: Robie House is recommended for ages 16 and older and includes 2,276 pieces and a booklet with details on Robie House’s design and history.

The set is available for $199 at the Frank Lloyd Wright Preservation Trust museum sites: Robie House, Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio in Oak Park and

The Rookery Building in downtown Chicago. LEGO Architecture: Robie House, as well as others in the LEGO® Architecture series, are available at the Frank Lloyd Wright Preservation

Trust merchandise website: www.ShopWright.org. All purchases directly support the restoration, preservation and education programs of the Frank Lloyd Wright Preservation Trust.

LEGO Architecture products are also available at museum and specialty gift shops, or online at www.brickstructures.com and www.shop.lego.com.

About Frank Lloyd Wright’s Robie House

Frank Lloyd Wright’s Robie House sparked a revolution in residential architecture that still reverberates today. The Robie House was the first historic property to be declared a

National Historic Landmark based solely upon its architectural merit. Designated by the American Institute of Architects as one of the 10 most significant structures of the 20th century,

the impressive home features dramatic overhangs which appear to defy gravity and continuous bands of stunning art glass which dissolve the barrier between interior and exterior.

It is an American treasure and celebrated as one of Chicago’s most important buildings. The Frank Lloyd Wright Preservation Trust presents guided tours of this architectural masterpiece

located in the Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago, offering a first-hand experience of its amazing contemporary spaces and interpretation of Wright’s innovative 1908 design.

The museum is open Thursday through Monday, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The museum shop is open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Thursday through Monday. Tickets for tours are available at www.GoWright.org.

flw.png

-more-

About LEGO Architecture

With models developed in collaboration with architects, LEGO Architecture inspires future architects, engineers and designers as well as architecture fans around the world using

the LEGO brick as a medium for reproducing esteemed structures. Fans of all ages can collect and construct iconic architectural sites, including: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Guggenheim Museum

and Fallingwater, the Space Needle in Seattle, the Willis Tower and John Hancock Center in Chicago, New York’s Empire State Building and Rockefeller Center, The White House in Washington, D.C.,

Farnsworth House in Plano, Illinois and the Burj Kalifa in Dubai. Each LEGO Architecture set contains a booklet featuring step-by-step building instructions that is prefaced by exclusive,

archival history, information and photographs of each iconic building, its design origin, its architect and its architectural features.

LEGO and its logo are registered trademarks of The LEGO Group. ©2011 The LEGO Group. All rights reserved.

More HR images click the pics!

e_21011_detail_3_800.jpg

f_21010_detail_4_800.jpg

New Ultra HR version of the set, picture is +8000.pxl

c_21010_detail_1_800.jpg

From Wikipedia.

Wright designed the Robie House in his studio in Oak Park, Illinois between 1908 and 1909.[6] The design precedent for the Robie House was the Ferdinand F. Tomek House in Riverside, Illinois,

designed by Wright in 1907-08.[7] At the time that he commissioned Wright to design his home, Robie was only 28 years old and the assistant manager of the Exclesior Supply Company,

a company on the South Side of Chicago owned and managed by his father. Although later drawings of the Robie House show a date of 1906, Wright could not have started the design for the

building earlier than the spring of 1908 because Robie had actually purchased the property only in May of that year.[8] He and his wife, Lora Hieronymus Robie, a 1900 graduate of the University

of Chicago, had selected the property at 5757 South Woodlawn Avenue in order to remain close to the campus and the social life of the University.[9] The property was a typical urban lot in Hyde Park,

measuring 60 feet (18 m) by 180 feet (55 m).

21011 Brandenburg Gate

Thanks to Brickset for the picture and EB Member Mirandir for bringing the news.

Landmark Series

Parts: 362

Price: GB £34.99 | US $34.99 | DE €34.99

Following picture links to HR versions!

a_21011_box_front_800.jpg

Build a LEGO® replica of the Brandenburg Gate!

Commissioned by King Frederick William II of Prussia as a sign of peace,

the Brandenburg Gate is one of Berlin’s most important monuments –

both as an architectural landmark and historic symbol – for over 200 years.

The grandest of a series of 18 gates through which the city was accessed,

the Brandenburg Gate was constructed between 1788 and 1791 from the

designs of architect Carl Gotthard Langhans and was inspired by the Propylaea

in Athens. Built in sandstone and comprised of 12 Doric columns, the gate’s

crown jewel is the Quadriga, a sculpture of a chariot and 4 horses depicting

Victoria, the Roman goddess of victory, created by Johann Gottfried Schadow.

• Architectural replica of the real-world Brandenburg Gate

• Booklet included with details on design and history. (English language only)

c_21011_detail_1_800.jpg

d_21011_detail_2_800.jpg

instructions.gif

lego_2011_architecture_sets.png

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

I for one think the choices for the architecture line are completely random. :thumbup:

If my memory serves me well, there is in fact a sub-serie in the Architecture line. You have the (USA)Landmarks, and the "non"-landmarks.

So you should put this aside of the House of falling water in the "non"-landmarkes line. I like this serie much better than the (USA)landmarks.

Hope they go overseas with the next in line. Corbusier, Rietveld would be nice aswell.

You mean there actually IS a Dr. Farnsworth? Good news, everybody!

I stumbled upon this at the Mall of America LEGO store last night. It looks very nice. It might be my favorite of the Architecture series so far.

You mean there actually IS a Dr. Farnsworth? Good news, everybody!

Farnsworth.png

Whaaaaaa?

Edited by gotoAndLego

If my memory serves me well, there is in fact a sub-serie in the Architecture line. You have the (USA)Landmarks, and the "non"-landmarks.

So you should put this aside of the House of falling water in the "non"-landmarkes line. I like this serie much better than the (USA)landmarks.

Hope they go overseas with the next in line. Corbusier, Rietveld would be nice aswell.

Thank You! I agree to tell you the truth. The USA models do not have any creativity or styles, compared to the houses and museum. Although the USA ones in real life are very cool (Space Needle).

Burj Khalifa. I wanted to know if this was real or not, because we haven't seen any images of this set yet.

It's probably real cause it's on Brickset.

But it probably has yet to be released.

It's probably real cause it's on Brickset.

But it probably has yet to be released.

What I'm wondering is where did Brickset get the information for this set? They never stated any sources, and the only info there is something about the real skyscraper.

I would check out brickstructures. They have a Burj-Dubai, and most of the sets (AFAIK) have been models they've done in larger scales (except I don't see the Farnsworth house).

So it definitely seems like a possibility.

EDIT: just to point out for those who don't know, brickstructures develops the architectural LEGO sets.

Edited by fred67

Added instructions for the set in my first posting!

Enjoy! :classic: :classic: :classic:

Added More info and Ultra HR pictures to first post!

enjoy! :classic: :classic: :classic:

Hi all,

Found this gallery on BrickShelf, which appears to have box shots of 21008 Burj Khalifa. I had a quick search, but didn't see that anyone had posted it, so hopefully this isn't a duplicate thread. :classic:

BrickShelf Gallery

Edit by WhiteFang (insert image)

gallery_2351_21_96428.jpg

Edited by WhiteFang
Deeplink image

I haven't seen that before, but :sick: - that's the ugliest one yet. I just can't understand why this line is so hit or miss (although the price is just about always a miss). There are some great looking ones (Farnsworth House, Fallingwater) and then there are others like this one that look so terrible.

Atleast it easy to build :laugh: I agree at it isnt the prettyest one and maby the most simåliest one yet in this line, but i actually like it when i look it at some time. Thanks for the info and for the pictures.

Caaptain Becker

It looks fine from afar, but once you get close, I've got to agree with Cloney. This has got to be the most unstable Lego set ever!

Let's say :thumbdown: , so many 1x1 round bricks.....it's uninspiring and not like the last one....such a beautiful house with furniture in it to boot ! :classic:

Ah, well maybe next time there will be a better design. :wink:

This one is part of the Landmark Series which are meant to showcase monuments and landmarks, not the Architecture series, which are meant to honor renowned architects. The other sets in the Landmark Series are the Empire State Building, Sears Tower, Seattle Space Needle, and the John Hancock Centre, all of which are the same basic idea as this one. See here.

Personally I think that considering it's meant to be a small desk model of the tallest building in the world, I think it's a fairly faithful rendition. Sure, it's not that detailed, and it looks fairly repetitive, but so does the real thing from afar. :tongue:

I also followed the URL in his photos, and he has a YouTube video with a stop motion video of the construction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z9RFqy4OtU

Edited by Mr Hobbles