ukaskew

MOC: Motorsport Paddock

About two months ago I was tidying the folks attic and found some of my Lego from when I was a little'un (stuff from approx 1988-1994), this pretty much instantly gave me the bug so I decided I wanted to work on a long term project with 'new' Lego. As I'm a motorsport photographer I decided my local circuit would be good inspiration, the main paddock complex is still in the planning/brick collecting stage, but I've been working on a few vehicles to populate my build with.

The concept is to build it in as near to current City style as possible, so wherever practical I'm modifying current sets rather than building from scratch. Thoughts/improvements/suggestions very much welcome, these are literally my first ever MOCs and the first Lego I've touched for about 16 years, and I'm mainly using parts from the sets I've bought, so I'm sure there are many things to improve upon...

Burger Van A

Based on the Ford Transit style Burger Van, this is a modified Prisoner Transport with parts from the BBQ Stand. It needs a clear windscreen at some point.

1230368410_wVxPB-M.jpg

1230397932_LwDpi-M.jpg

1230398373_fhK3e-M.jpg

Race Transporter

At first glance just a Lego Truck, but this was the most challenging of the three as it required a wider floorplan to hold a standard car. This - oddly, was a combination of Lego Truck (3221) and the Train Station (7937). You don't see many trucks like this in the UK, so I may use a Tank Truck style cab in the future.

1230400876_MERMq-M-1.jpg

1230402398_isAdv-M-1.jpg

1230401648_sZQYt-M-1.jpg

1230401223_TiuL3-M-1.jpg

Burger Van B

Based on the trailer Burger Vans seen frequently at events, this is a modified 4WD Horse Trailer (7635), again with BBQ Stand interior (just added, so no pics yet)

1230398897_CM8Sn-M-1.jpg

1230399269_us4Vu-M-1.jpg

1230399795_Pmzeq-M-1.jpg

I've just also finished my first two race cars and will be building an Ice Cream Van this weekend, so it's moving faster than expected. So much fun!

Edited by ukaskew

nice work :thumbup: i love the first truck :wub: but what is the letter for??

It's supposed to be a menu, until I find something better..!

Neat MOCs ukaskew :thumbup: I like the burger van, or is it a fried chicken van? :grin: The MODs to the Lego Truck are neat. Makes me want to build a race car trailer. As for the burger trailer, cant wait to see the interior. Although a suggestion, lower the roof height by a 1 brick. Looks a little tall compared to its 4x4. Great work, keep it up :classic:

Nice work there! Check out my recent 'Lego truck transformation', for a more European style cab:

Lego Lorry

Love your work so far, How about an Ambulance next? There's always one of them on stand by.

Great work 'ukaskew', advice would be give the racing team a theme....i.e. Octan Racing (oh, now there is an idea :wink: ) and second burger van....nice but something doesn't feel right about it.

The first van is a nice modification of the new police van, but I would have made just the roof and not half the van come apart to fit the chef in place - but still neat little kitchen. :grin:

Keep going and Brick On 'ukaskew' ! :grin:

Wow! I like the food vehicles very much. With food truck A, I think you could change the grill by the window a little lower (1 tile) so that you don't see the flames as a customer. The race truck looks good and it is great that you are planning racecars for it. The ice-cream van is no doubt going to be great!

Oh and like brickrob said about a ambulance I have made them before and they are a lot of fun to do just think about it. can't wait for more. :classic:

Edited by Fuzzylegobricks

Although a suggestion, lower the roof height by a 1 brick. Looks a little tall compared to its 4x4.

Good suggestion thanks, now I look it is very high for a minifig to reach the counter, I will see how it looks one brick lower.

Great work 'ukaskew', advice would be give the racing team a theme....i.e. Octan Racing (oh, now there is an idea :wink: ) and second burger van....nice but something doesn't feel right about it.

The first van is a nice modification of the new police van, but I would have made just the roof and not half the van come apart to fit the chef in place - but still neat little kitchen. :grin:

Thanks for your comments, only the rear roof panel needs to lift off to access the kitchen, I was going for a 'cut-away' style photo so removed a lot more for the shot. I agree that Burger Van B doesn't feel quite right, they are odd blocky looking things in real life but I think lowering it a little and fleshing out the interior might help.

With food truck A, I think you could change the grill by the window a little lower (1 tile) so that you don't see the flames as a customer.

Good suggestion, I will try that this weekend as it would make sense to take that down a level, I also need a till!

Thanks everyone for the fantastic suggestions and comments, what a great community. An ambulance is on the list, as well as a low loader truck, a few race car trailers and then lots of race cars. I'm torn on custom stickers at the moment, on the one hand it would add a huge amount of detail, but I also like the purity of leaving those bits to the imagination, tough one.

Edited by ukaskew

I've been busy recently creating race cars, 12 down, 8 to go (I'm just waiting for parts in a few different colours to finish the rest), these are loosely based on the 'Open Sports and GT' series that runs locally, which is essentially anything from modified saloon cars, hot hatches, sports cars and GT cars. A few samples below, again these are trying to keep within the current City size and style...

i-V9WDSth-M.jpg

i-JRhFSxz-M.jpg

i-VfkPMBs-M.jpg

i-7LcTDZh-M.jpg

i-2FHjdc9-M.jpg

i-QvV6Gsj-M.jpg

i-T6SbbZ8-M.jpg

i-4Wj22Qj-M.jpg

Not bad selection of vehicles there 'ukaskew', seeing them makes me think of one thing only....Cannonball Run ! :grin:

Keep going and Brick On 'ukaskew' ! :wink:

Nice selection ukaskew! Its great to see your vehicles again. The cars are really cool. The green and white one is my favorite.

Now all you need is a monster truck there! :grin:

I can't wait to see the other progress. :thumbup:

Fantastic cars ukaskew!

I Love all the colour variants - this race arena is gonna be immense! Keep up the great work!

That's a lovely selection of cars, and the use of different colours is great. A suggestion, though: If you fiddle around a bit more with these designs, you'll probably be able to fit a driver in each of them. As they are now, that's going to be a problem with quite a few of the cars, which is a pity with such nice MOCs... :) Also, for the ones in colours where it's possible: I'd love to see them with doors!

That's a lovely selection of cars, and the use of different colours is great. A suggestion, though: If you fiddle around a bit more with these designs, you'll probably be able to fit a driver in each of them. As they are now, that's going to be a problem with quite a few of the cars, which is a pity with such nice MOCs... :) Also, for the ones in colours where it's possible: I'd love to see them with doors!

Thanks for your comments, they all require a bit of work, I was raiding my limited parts bin to flesh them out so a Bricklink order will probably be required. Most (8 of them) are actually fine for a minifig, the 'doors' are the angled plates used in pretty much all the current City sets with cars and fit a minifig perfectly. The only problem ones are those that use standard bricks as doors (the orange, light blue and lime cars) as the minifigs can't get their arms down to the steering wheel.

... the 'doors' are the angled plates used in pretty much all the current City sets with cars and fit a minifig perfectly.

Yes, I know - that works just fine, but I still think cars look much better with doors :)