timmorgan

Where do you keep your Minifigures?

Nice idea. I'll merge this with the 'Where do you keep your minifigures?' thread.

I dont open too many of them. The ones that I do are displayed throughout the house, the kitchen, bedroom and living room. Most of them I keep sealed and I have several hundred from series 1 to 5. I have only opened a full set of series 4 and 5, all other series I've just opened random figures.

My open set minifigures are usually kept with their vehicles or buildings and so on. Many of them are also kept in a Rubbermaid tote along with my classic figures from when I was a child. Altogether I would say I have at least 500 to 600 minifigures if not more. Someday I plan on building a large city in the basement and will use many of them at that time.

Well, there has been a serious space problem in my room for some time... Along with a limited budget, this forces my collectible minifigs, along with all other minifigures in my collection, to go into a plastic box in separate baggies. Fortunately this is a very space efficient solution, and it is not too hard to take out my figs to look at them. I just hope I'll be able to afford a better solution someday.

Mine are stored in 5 different ways. The majority of the collection is in a display cabinet i keep other lego items in. They are kept on the stands with the accessories kept in a small container. Then i have some figures i made via the BAM bin(mostly CMF parts and tried sticking to the orginal design). They are mostly kept in a 2 tray tackle box with items i really like(storage method 2) or also in a green container in a cart(method 3). Method 4 is some series 4-6 figures i have on the stands but in my cart since those are ones i might want to use one day but keep in good shape with the accessories stored in the hardware box. Number five isn't exactly storage but more of a "Work In Progress" container. It's a yellow hardware box that i have minifigures i'm working on. I got several various parts from the BAM bin and after an order via lego PAB online, i'm down to mostly needing legs that i'll get cheaper from BL one day.

Edited by Rufus
Duplicate posts merged

I keep mine in these display cases. They have an easily removeable cover. I got 3 in anticipation of 10 Collectable Series. I dedicate one row per series. You can cram more in especially if you remove the black stands. You can purchase them here: http://www.custom-wall-displays.com/ledica.html. They are relatively inexpensive compared to alternatives I have seen. They are also big enough to hold all accessories including the fisherman's pole. I'm very happy with them.

7181520430_e56f79f95f_c.jpg

Edited by kasmca

Those cases look amazing kasmca. I will need to look into purchasing some. The price is perfect too. I have lots of figures I need to sort/organize/display, so those look exactly what I would need. Thanks for the information!

Came across this at a yard sale and knew it would be perfect for some of my favorite minifigs. It's a golf ball display case. You can find them for some decent scratch on Amazon, but I scored mine for $2.

7200905702_aee0c70aa8.jpg

figs by Jahab, on Flickr

Thanks to kasmca, I bought the same display cases from here: http://www.custom-wall-displays.com/. I got four and arranged them close together.

img9984e.jpg

These cases are made by the vendor on his spare-time (not part-time) so it took more than a month for me to receive them. But they look great and are very clear.

Here is a side shot with the covers off.

img9996lv.jpg

Each case is mainly made of three pieces of plastic, not including the cover. A large piece is molded to form the outer case. Two smaller pieces are each molded into a bracket shape "[" to create two shelves each. Each shelf also has a little lip fold that helps prevent things from sliding off.

Six tiny "L" shape pieces are glued to the brackets at various areas to connect the shelves to the main case. A minor complaint is that the middle of two shelves has an "L" piece in the top-side middle, which presents some unevenness, depending on how deep your display item is.

img9987f.jpg

The bottom shelf has "L" pieces on the top-side as well but at the ends, so it's not as bad.

img9988y.jpg

I would like to go on a tangent and discuss how each minifigure is displayed. As you can see, I have added pieces under each minifigure plate that matches the color of the corresponding series. This makes it much easier and faster to reorganize everything back together by series. Now I can play around by arranging figures into groups based on color, story, job, etc but still can tell from which series each comes from.

I originally though of using a row of four 1x1 plate pieces instead of the current 4x1 in the front side and using a binary numbering system for each minifigure to match their ordering in the series catalog sheet.

So for example, 0 = black, 1 = color

0 = 0000, 1 = 0001, 2 = 0010, ... 1111 = 15

But buying many hundreds of 1x1 pieces is pretty expensive and the usage of 1x1 black pieces made the colors not stand out as much. And I had the series 8 delimma where it would be black on black (thought of using dark grey).

Another issue was that I didn't like having figures that couldn't attach to the base, like those with ice skates, skis, etc. I've seen workarounds where the figure holds their accessories, but that seems rather boring. Here is how I tried to solve that.

For the ones with surf boards, you can simply attach them to the plate horizontally, but I didn't like the unnatural look of them going perfectly sideways into the adjacent figure. So I did this. I like how I can put them flush with each other.

img9989b.jpg

The skiers were especially tricky since it's hard to attach directly from the back, so I used an L plate to attach from the side. Another L plate is used to attach to the base.

img9990a.jpg

The ones with feet attachments were pretty straight-forward, but specific pieces are needed to ensure the ice skates are aligned correctly so they touch the base between the pegs and not look like they are floating.

img9991k.jpg

I couldn't really think of a cool way to arrange the skate boarders so I just attached them at an angle. Anyone have them doing a tricky move?

img9992c.jpg

I didn't like the mime having two extra heads just floating around so I bought extra bodies for them.

img9993p.jpg

img9994j.jpg

Here is how the bottom looks like.

img9995x.jpg

Thoughts? Suggestions? Is there a thread speculating the colors of the next bags?

Edited by badbob001

Another issue was that I didn't like having figures that couldn't attach to the base, like those with ice skates, skis, etc. I've seen workarounds where the figure holds their accessories, but that seems rather boring. Here is how I tried to solve that.

Love what you've done with your display, the colored plates and the hing additions are just great! I might have to buy some of those cases myself and do similar. Though i'm not sure what I'll do with my current cases (11 big ones, 5 small ones) if I go that direction.

6953058901_df0257879f_n.jpg

Minifigs Display

DarkDragon

I only bought a few of those thinking I wouldn't have that many figures to display. So when they were on clearance at Wal-Mart last Christmas, I didn't buy any. Huge mistake! I love those cases, even if you can't have certain accessories held vertically. I've been looking to buy more, but I also like these other cases people have suggested, so I'm torn now. I also thought about having my dad build me some out of wood. He's very handy with woodworking and I thought it might look a little unique/classier that way instead of plastic, although more expensive.

badbob001

Thanks for showing us your displays. That is very impressive. I love the creativity of having the angled displays. The mime especially is creative. I hadn't considered buying extra bodies for him, but now I almost would want to (granted I don't own the original either). I may have to buy those cases when I have some extra funds. I like how much room there is to display the figures plus accessories. It seems they are pretty sturdy, and that price is unbeatable for the amount that can be held.

Edit: I just checked that website and was going through the checkout process. I had no idea shipping was going to double my total. I only had one in my cart at $25.00, but shipping for that one item was $24.50, so almost $50 total. I guess the price isn't as unbeatable as I thought. I didn't realize shipping would be so high. Just to forewarn anyone else from the states trying to place an order. I may have to keep looking.

Edited by TheLegoDr

Edit: I just checked that website and was going through the checkout process. I had no idea shipping was going to double my total. I only had one in my cart at $25.00, but shipping for that one item was $24.50, so almost $50 total. I guess the price isn't as unbeatable as I thought. I didn't realize shipping would be so high. Just to forewarn anyone else from the states trying to place an order. I may have to keep looking.

For the four I ordered, shipping was $32, and I live in the States as well.

The other display cases are nice, but to me, some are too much cramp like a cryogenic pod, where you're not expected to touch their contents for a long time. Now that I have all my figures in place, I'll probably soon re-rearrange them and I have so much space to do that. It's more fun to be able to touch and move them around them on occasion. And having all my figures attached to their bases makes it much easier to move and push them around like chess pieces.

Edited by badbob001

Love what you've done with your display, the colored plates and the hing additions are just great! I might have to buy some of those cases myself and do similar. Though i'm not sure what I'll do with my current cases (11 big ones, 5 small ones) if I go that direction.

I use these as well, and love them.

Dust isn't much of a problem for me, so I take the plastic off the front. This allows for a more 3D display:

DSC_0682.jpg

DSC_0685.jpg

DSC_0687.jpg

DSC_0690.jpg

DSC_0694.jpg

@badbob001

I love what you have done with the surfboards, skateboards, ice-skates, etc. The mime looks fantastic. default_wubnew.gif

I just read a thread about LEGO damage from UV rays being the biggest thing to worry. If I have my lego figures in my plastic (vivak plastic) wall display case (see above) and in a 2nd floor room with double-pane windows but no direct sunlight, should I be okay? Or should I cover my display with a cloth or something when I'm not looking at it? I think regular plastic or glass blocks out most UV rays but perhaps not all types of UV. I don't want to have my collection fade in color but it seems like a waste to hide them.

Edited by badbob001

I moved home in April and haven't had the opportunity to display my CMFs and other minifigs at my new place yet. So for now, they're in Really Useful boxes or their original LEGO bags/boxes. But I'm planning to display my favourites on eye-level shelves outside of sunlight. The rest I will keep individually bagged in the Really Useful boxes along with duplicate minifigs and loads of spare parts.

Edited by AmperZand

I keep the current series out on display on a bookcase then when I start getting new ones I then retire those guys to the big licensed lego storage box shaped like a minifig head. I've got the smaller of the two availble so I've bought one of those big pink brick storage boxes and that's filling up nicely too now.

I'm loving badbob001's and ruxy_100's solutions though, brilliant :purrr:

I have a small table dedicated to my minifigs, I keep them all in straight horizontal lines or I sometimes display them with the sets they came in (usually battle packs) . I keep my CMF minifigs separate however, on their own display shelf.

Thanks to kasmca, I bought the same display cases from here: http://www.custom-wall-displays.com/.

..snip

I love these perspex shelves, really makes you focus on the figs and not too obtrusive. Nice hinge idea too :)

I currently have mine balanced on my book shelf while i first started collecting, now i have 3 series + I think it is worth getting a proper system. I was thinking of creating a outline of a 5 foot minifigure with a grid inside. Then in the grid you could place each series. Would take more lego then i currently have though!

Just a heads-up for UK collectors, picked up a nice display case from Lidl today, £29.99.

Solid, easy to put together and with shelves deep enough to store at least five rows back of minifigs.

It's also a nice coincidence that a whole row of sixteen minifigs fits nicely across the width of the shelf.

Will be able to fit a whole lotta small folks in there.

Pic here.

case1_zps533a5316.jpg

Edited by Rufus
Deeplinked