Sign in to follow this  
Mr Misty

Southern Cross

thindexedgif.gif 111D

Hi All

I've been getting back into Lego Pirates for the past 6 months or so and after rebuilding my fleet of official lego sets I decided to finally build a large sailing ship of my own. I've been inspired by all the MOCs here so I thought I'd post my ship which I named Southern Cross. She has 7 masts and 48 guns. I couldn't figure out a way to reduce my image sizes to fit on the fourm so I uploaded some pics to Brickshelf

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=467218

I also uploaded the pics to my deviant art account where all the pics have little descriptions.

http://mrmisty.deviantart.com/

I hope you all enjoy The Southern Cross.

It says the bricklink gallery folder is not yet public :pir_bawling:

The pictures are somewhat blurry and dark, can you try to make some better ones? It surely would to your ship justice, because i see a very cool checkered yellow-and-red bed as well as a great chandelier in the captain's cabin, for example! :bonaparte:

southern_cross_1_by_mrmisty-d3chc9u.jpgcaptain__s_quarters_by_mrmisty-d3chea1.jpg

southern_cross_8_by_mrmisty-d3chd5j.jpg

southern_cross_9_by_mrmisty-d3chd8i.jpg

southern_cross_7_by_mrmisty-d3chd34.jpg

I deeplinked some of them for you! :pir-classic:

7 masts is really oversized and the pictures proof it. Maybe sometimes less is more? Just a thought! I don't know where you want to head with this.

Thanks a lot Perfectionist :pir-classic:

Sorry for the image quality, my camera is pretty old and I've noticed it takes photos better outside than in. I just added a bunch more pics I just took. Hopefully they're better quality. As for where I was heading... I'm not quite sure myself. I tend to over do it a little with my MOCs. I decided a long time ago to do 7 masts because I'd never seen a ship with 7 before. I guess there might be a reason for that. :pir_laugh2: Hopefully the gallery is made public soon, I took a couple shots of her next to my Skull's Eye Schooner for size comparison.

Nice ship, but its a way too long and looks a bit silly when it has seven masts and big oversized cabin at the back. So if possible, take some masts away and make her two decker ship instead of one long. And then i think you could work on the cabin a little bit more, it dosent look quite good IMO. So try to change these things and you should be good. Keep it up.

Captain Becker

Yeah, she's really long, I needed the length for all those masts. (12 mid sections between the bow and stern :pir_wacko: ) I thought the Cabin was to tall too but it took a lot of work to get her to a place where I was happy with it and the interiors of the 2 rooms looked right. I still have some work to do on her since I'm missing most of the cannons that go in the lower deck. I'll add major improvements when I build her Sister ship North Star, she'll be much smaller and more modular.

I'd like to add that the wooden stand the ship sits on really enhances the look alot. Ideally every big LEGO ship should have one of those :thumbup:

I like the way it looks too. I never intended it to have a base but since my room is in a basement I need to keep things off the floor incase of flooding. The wood is just the top of a small bench I had laying around. It's a pretty good match even if the ship is longer than the bench.

It's a nice build, but I bit too long for my taste... The first thing I I thought about was this:

Schooner_%27Thomas_W._Lawson%27_1902-1907a.jpg

But I defenitly would add another deck ... since it looks quite odd with the 3 decks stern.

EDIT: The candleholders are great. I really like them!!!

Edited by Aalak

Wow. Now that I see that pic I remember seeing something about the Thomas W Lawson about 20 or so years ago. Maybe it left an impression on me that helped inspire this build. I'm going to attempt to make some changes to the Southern Cross by adding a few layers of bricks to her sides and bringing the main deck up to be flush with the 1st rear deck. It should be easy since the entire deck with the 3 main masts lifts up to access the cannons and hold below.

Thanks for the compliment on the candleholders Aalak. The Ward room and Captains Quarters also each have a lighted brick in them that make it look like they're functional when I flip off the lights and press the buttons.

I did a little work to Southern Cross so I thought I'd post some new pics (Now that I figured out how to deeplink them) :monkey:

snapshot_2011-05-06_05-33-30.jpg

The Lifeboats now go up and down using strings and winches

snapshot_2011-05-06_05-33-34.jpg

I raised up the sides of her hull to allow for better clearance on her gun deck and to bring the main deck up flush with the first aft deck

snapshot_2011-05-06_05-33-45.jpg

Here's the gun deck looking aft with the main deck removed

snapshot_2011-05-06_05-33-40.jpg

The gun deck again from above

snapshot_2011-05-06_05-33-50.jpg

The removed main deck with the 3 central masts

snapshot_2011-05-06_05-33-54.jpg

A close up of the area where the main deck meets the former 1st aft deck. I removed the railings and did away with the hatches over the stairs, I also moved the 2 cannons below deck and built 2 new ones to match the rest of the smaller deck guns.

I would have liked another overall-view, but these pictures are okay as well.

This ship may not be very historically accurate, but is sure is a very nice and playable one. I like things like lifeboat crane.

The tiled decks and the custom cannons are nice as well, and the string on the stairs is a clever feature.

Perhaps you could add some more lines between the masts (so securing the masts to each other).

Well done though.

Thanks for the compliments Admiral Croissant :pir-classic: I'll take some more overall shots at some point when I feel like setting up that sheet again, I should take some pics of my other MOC ships too so I'll likely do that at the same time. I could add some lines between the masts. If I used the ropes with the 1x1 round plates on the end it would make it easy to open her up, that's the main reason I didn't put one going across the tops of all the masts in the first place. I forgot to take a shot of her with her stern cabin removed, I made it partly modular after getting the new Imperial Flagship which provided me with the inspiration. At some point I'll make some kind of room under there like a powder storage room or something. I'll still build her sister North Star some day but I just bought an UCS Imperial Star Destroyer (Imperials of a different kind :pir-vader: ) so for now I'll just work on Southern Cross when I have the spare cash.