Sign in to follow this  
Trent

Medieval Market Village

I predominantly have Pirate sets, and I've splurged a fair bit on eBay just recently, so I was trying not to spend any more money. I know that I'm going to want a fair few of the POC sets, and I'm also coveting Tower Bridge (the landmark has a special significance to me, so I'm trying to save to buy it before it disappears because I know I'll regret not getting it).

However, I've been watching Medieval Market Village for a long time because it seems that it's very useful for Pirate MOCs. I'm not really interested in Castle sets in and of themselves, but I really want to bulk out my Pirate collection.

Would you say that the set is worth it and is useful for a Pirate collection? Or would you hold onto your money and use it for the POC sets (or even put the money towards Tower Bridge)? I am very short on cash at the moment, but I don't want to be stuck in a modular style situation where you wouldn't mind having a set, but it's selling for £500+.

Or are there other sets that are useful for MOCs that you'd go for first?

Any help appreciated - thanks guys! :)

It depens quite alot what you want to build, do you want to build a village raiding scene pirate port, jail scene. it also depens where the scene is located, is it in the middle of the sea or in the middle of the London or is it just somewhere in land in one of Carribean islands etc etc.

Of course theres alot of classic Pirate sets wich are really worth to get, but they are very expensive and lots of sets arent 100% complete anymore.

There is also new IFS wich is also very good to get, but its again expensive one like MMV.

But for me MMV is a good set whit alots of parts, so it might ome handy when you build some Pirate or Castle MOC`s.

I didnt get the set because of its prize, and i didnt even saw it in my local shops. Im currently saving on upcomin POTC, so if you want to get it, then go ahead.

Captain Becker

EDIT: One single spelling error :imperialguard_commander1:

Edited by Captain Becker

As Becker said, it all depends on what you want the set for.

Is it just for parts?

Do you want to build a village?

If you are interested in the set for the parts or you are looking to build a village, I would HIGHLY recommend this set. It has an INSANELY GOOD price to part ratio and it has quite a few very nice elements for pirate type builds.

If you are a fan of Derfel Cardarn's work (and why wouldn't you be?) he uses the tan, brown black color scheme and tudor style of the houses in MMV all the time for pirate-y MOCs. I would say the houses in MMV are more complete than the house in the London Escape set from POTC will be, so consider that when deciding on a purchase.

Thanks for the help. :)

I've been going through all of the Pirate MOCs to get ideas (I really am a newbie at this, and it took me ages to realise that the water in a lot of the MOCs wasn't tiles but was SNOT!) and yes, I love the Tudor style housing for them.

I have quite a few of the old sets (no ships though, which most people find very odd!):

Pirates: 6257 Castaway's Raft, 6254 Rocky Reef, 6270 Forbidden Island, 6273 Rock Island Refuge, 6279 Skull Island

Soldiers: 6245 Harbour Sentry, 6259 Broadside's Brig, 6265 Sabre Island, 6276 Eldorado Fortress

Islanders: 6264 Forbidden Cove, 6256 Islander Catamaran, 6278 Enchanted Island

...but I really like the look of a lot of the MOCs - e.g. http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=38526

I like the rocks in this, and I'm guessing it's brown tiles for the flooring? Do you use pick a brick and Bricklink a lot, or do you all just have a big range of sets? I have ideas, but just don't know where to start! I think maybe I'm trying to run before I can walk.

Hi

I do have to say that I love the MMV, and the pirates topic... and if you ask if this set is worth it and is useful for a Pirate collection?, well, It worth it and it is useful in pirates... chek it out:

front "open"

100_2042.jpg

front "close"

100_2019.jpg

street view:

100_2041.jpg

tabern and house:

100_2018.jpg

house/bakery

100_2021.jpg

:jollyroger: p.s. :jollyroger:

the blacksmith is in repairs, and now I have three separate buildings of this set, instead of two, thanks tho the 6119: roof tiles :thumbup:

and about buying this set or the POTC's, well, I'll say that POTC would last longer in the market :pir-sweet:, but the MMV we don't known how much longer it will lay in the stores :pirate_sad2:

MMV is hugely worth it for the price per piece ratio alone. You don't get that kind of value on sets any more and certainly won't for the licensed POTC sets. Even if you buy it and really hate it you should be able to get your money back from the resale value once the set goes out of production later this year. Tower Bridge will likely still be available well into next year.

Well, if you want to make a village or building, it's got a lot of good parts for that. It has some good parts for making ships also. If you don't plan to make anything very big though like a large ship or village, it would be better to buy the parts individually probably.

let 1 more person convince you.

i think the MMV is a marvellous set as has been mentioned above. the scenarios you want to create is endless. you can use it as an original set. or moc it. or even get extra sets for a powerful moc! :pir_laugh2:

If I were you I'd get it before it's gone. I have to say out of all the sets I've bought (and that is a lot!)it's the best value by far.

I ordered it yesterday with some birthday money. Not sure if I will open it straight-away though because I have some other projects on the go.

I've been going through all of the Pirate MOCs to get ideas (I really am a newbie at this, and it took me ages to realise that the water in a lot of the

...but I really like the look of a lot of the MOCs - e.g. http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=38526

I like the rocks in this, and I'm guessing it's brown tiles for the flooring? Do you use pick a brick and Bricklink a lot, or do you all just have a big range of sets? I have ideas, but just don't know where to start! I think maybe I'm trying to run before I can walk.

Speaking as a MOCer, we do use a lot of Bricklink and we also buy sets for parts- but I only try to do that if the set has a LOT of parts I want and has a good part to price ratio. about $.10 (US Dollars) a brick is pretty good for non-licensed sets. The price to part ratio is an outstanding $.0625. Of course you have to have a need for the colors/pieces you will be getting, and this set is GREAT in that regard.

The MOC you linked to is one of the Derfel Cardarn's (the guy I mentioned in my post), so if you like his work, the MMV would be a great choice to build in his style!

Thank you all so much for your comments - you've all really helped. :)

I decided to buy the set, and it's arrived today, so I'll be building it tomorrow. I've been sorting out the pieces tonight, and it's the first brand new set that I've bought in a long time. I wouldn't ever buy a BNIB old set (it doesn't bother me buying already used bricks) but it was quite special opening all of the bags, and seeing all of the bricks in totally pristine condition.

Obviously, I knew it had 1601 pieces, but even so, I was surprised at how big it seemed when I was sorting the bricks. I'm really looking forward to building it, so thank you all for convincing me that it was the right way to go. I think I'm going to have a fun day tomorrow! :)

Oh my! You have a lot of self control. :pir-oh:

I put this set together the same night I got it. I didn't care how late I was staying up. :pir-classic:

I just bought this set on Amazon--hurrah for no shipping and no tax! I'm already trying to figure out the best way to modify it for pirates... What do you all think I should do first? Does the Blacksmith's water wheel work for a Caribbean sea town? Are the cows appropriate?

TC

I just bought this set on Amazon--hurrah for no shipping and no tax! I'm already trying to figure out the best way to modify it for pirates... What do you all think I should do first? Does the Blacksmith's water wheel work for a Caribbean sea town? Are the cows appropriate?

TC

You could make one building a pub for the pirates and wenches, while the other building could be an inn. That might work. You could use the building that already has the beds and stuff in it to make the inn and use the blacksmith shop as the pub. Just a thought...

You could make one building a pub for the pirates and wenches, while the other building could be an inn. That might work. You could use the building that already has the beds and stuff in it to make the inn and use the blacksmith shop as the pub. Just a thought...

Not a bad idea. I was thinking of using these buildings for the colonists, though, at least for now. I'd like to keep the blacksmith's shop as much as I can, although I'm sure we'll get a POTC version eventually...it's just that the Blacksmith is one of the few figures I can keep from that set; the other male figures are too Castle-y to use in a Pirate setting. But one of them is definitely going to be a rollicking pub...

TC

Edited by TalonCard

Like the look of this set alot, it is a bit expensive though. I also think the pirate one pictures are awesome.

It is an expensive set, but when I got it I was really surprised at the amount of detail it contained within. In my honest opinion I think this set on its own without any modifications works well within the pirates setting, obviously amending it to fit pirates alone is even better. Out of all the sets I have recently bought new, other than the Imperial Ship, this one gave me the greatest amount of pleasure building and exploring.

It atcually reminded me of port royal from the potc film a lot. Kept looking out for "Mr Smith" :pir-look:

Personally for me if money was tight, I'd save mine for the new PotC sets, I know the MM had a good piece per dollar ratio, but the new sets look fantastic with so many new pieces and fig's.

That's my opinion anyway.

Personally for me if money was tight, I'd save mine for the new PotC sets, I know the MM had a good piece per dollar ratio, but the new sets look fantastic with so many new pieces and fig's.

That's my opinion anyway.

Counterpoint: the POTC sets, while awesome and new and shiny, will be around for another two years. MM is already discontinued. Take it from a longtime LEGO fan, it's best to take the long view here...

TC

Counterpoint: the POTC sets, while awesome and new and shiny, will be around for another two years. MM is already discontinued. Take it from a longtime LEGO fan, it's best to take the long view here...

TC

I completely agree with that, we also don't get to see much civvillian things in the pirates theme so it helps balance out the ratio when dealing with pirates.

If anyone else is wondering whether or not to go for it, I'd definitely recommend this set.

I had great fun building it, and the end product looks great.