nico71

My Technic Shop Plan

Hello everybody, I'am going to present you my plan about proposing several technic product for sale. There are three :

-PDF building instruction downloaded

-Printed and delivered Building instructions

-Complete package of moc including parts and building instructions.

Some example :

moc.gif_thumb.jpgcopterbynico71.jpg_thumb.jpgmontage.gif_thumb.jpganicocar1.jpg_thumb.jpg

I have studied the different costs I will have in order to propose these types of products. Now I need your help to know your needs and your expectations regarding the price, the deliver time and if you are interested in.

I add that the PDF instruction are in HD and high quality, this is not a picturing instructions. They look like my PDF instruction of gallardo's instruction by Blakbird. The complete package is a package including all you need to built a moc : parts plus building instructions. I think these types of product must be interested some people.

In order to help me to know more about your expectations, I will be gratfull if you could answer to this survey : LEGO Survey - done in 3 min Don't forget to click on "envoyer" at the end of the survey.

Please feel free to comment in this topic, remark, comment everything which can help me. :)

I was looking for a site where people could exchange their moc building instructions for a long time, so I'm glad you are planning to do something like that. Are you also planning to accept building instructions from other people, to sell them with sharing? Similar to how apple and other companies are managing their appstores? Not that I have anything to share.

Onr comment: for the PDF building instructions, the part list should be free, to let people check if they have parts before they buy something.

One more thing: why is it technic only?

Edited by imajor

Are you also planning to accept building instructions from other people, to sell them with sharing? Similar to how apple and other companies are managing their appstores? Not that I have anything to share.

Yes, it's also possible that in future, other mocs will be for sale (from other mocer). I have been thinking about but at the moment, I would like to be sure for my moc and then from the other. By the way, the problem of profitability and efficiency is really complex so all in good time.

Onr comment: for the PDF building instructions, the part list should be free, to let people check if they have parts before they buy something.

One more thing: why is it technic only?

Of course, the BOM will be free. Sometimes, they will have free building instructions, for instance a low resolution of picturing instruction and in with high resolution (more understandable).

Why technic ? Because I'am a technic builder and at the moment, I focus on my creation (for the same reason written on top), but it's a interesting point, maybe in the future (if the shop runs good). :)

Yes, it's also possible that in future, other mocs will be for sale (from other mocer). I have been thinking about but at the moment, I would like to be sure for my moc and then from the other. By the way, the problem of profitability and efficiency is really complex so all in good time.

Of course, the BOM will be free. Sometimes, they will have free building instructions, for instance a low resolution of picturing instruction and in with high resolution (more understandable).

Why technic ? Because I'am a technic builder and at the moment, I focus on my creation (for the same reason written on top), but it's a interesting point, maybe in the future (if the shop runs good). :)

well of course a person is going to buy the instructions and copy it and distribute it for free

I wish you best of luck, but I wouldn't be a customer. I feel pretty confident I could reverse-engineer most MOCs. And besides, I'd rather be building my own stuff than rebuilding somebody else's work.

Of course, there should be plenty of people who would be interested, because you build some damn nice stuff.

well of course a person is going to buy the instructions and copy it and distribute it for free

If I well-understand your question : I hope not, I take honesty of buyers into account. Also The PDF is signed with a certificat and a double password. The PDF could be cracked by non-honnestly crackers but it will be very far from the lego spirit of building moc for me and my fans. :)

Also, if a person buy the product, why he will distributed for free the product if he buy it ? Regardind his buying, I don't think it will distributed for free, especially if he has paid.

@majhqa : I understand your point, thank you for the comment :)

Edited by nico71

i have sold two of my mocs to people on ebay prehappes it would be better to sell them on there at the lowest price and see what happenes, there is a guy on this form that has one of my models and he is very happy with it i thing? best off luck

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

@ Nico71: I have completed your survey, and would willingly pay for Building Instructions for your upcoming Supercar. :thumbup: I bought Crowkillers' Lamborghini Gallardo Building Instructions (prepared by Blakbird) for US $25, and did not regret it. Even though these same instructions were later offered FOR FREE by Crowkillers on his website, I believe that Lego AFOLs should be compensated for their efforts. Blakbird said that for the amount of time it took him to prepare the instructions, he "earned" only US $0.25/hr.

Lego Technic is an expensive hobby, so I don't begrudge anybody trying to reduce the costs. I don't have a problem with anybody wanting to be PAID for well-produced Building Instructions. Those who expect everything to be FREE don't realize the amount of time & effort involved. I could not BELIEVE the amount of criticism that Crowkillers, Blakbird, Skyliner, and others get for wanting to get PAID for their efforts. Those who always seek a FREE HANDOUT are freeloaders and cheapskates.

Technic AFOLs like you, Sariel, Zblj, Jurgen Krooshoop, Mahjqa, and others help provide instructions for FANTASTIC Lego Technic creations that cannot (or will not) be offered by The Lego Group. Thanks for sharing your MOCs! If folks don't want to pay for instructions, that's their prerogative but they should not CRITICIZE you for wanting to get compensation.

Thanks for your answers :)

@Dluder : yes I understand, but I think 25$ is a bit expensive. For my supercar , it has 1600 parts, I spend I think 50h to modelize, that is a little amount of time, because I use SR3D builder and it's far from Mlcad concerning the efficiency. For example, before SR3D builder exists, I spent arround 100h to assemble 1000 parts in mlcad, that is why I have gave up of create building instuction (and I created picturing instructions). Now with SR3D I come up with a solution to reduce de time and to have fun with digital building. That is why the proposed price in the survey are not up to 20€.

@dolittle : When I receive enought answer to the survey, I will publish the result on my website.

I was looking for a site where people could exchange their moc building instructions for a long time

I miss this. It is an interesting ideas, In fact if the plan is good, I will put in place a system of catalog of instructions with generated invoice. In order to add, remove, modify quicly an items. So It is possible that other builder could put their creations on the e-shop (it should be a other e-chop I think).

I would shoot an email to the people who sell custom train models via Bricklink (search for sets, custom). There is a Dutch guy (BlokBricks) who has great models which he sells with boxes, instructions etc. It would probably be worth asking his advice?...

The Technic Custom section...

Selling models via Ebay will generate more interest, but also risk more people distributing PDF's, or low prices. Beside if poachers see a custom MOC selling well, they will be interested in free-riding, in other countries.

Locking the PDF to stop printing is one way... and offering a printed option would be nice. I bought printed Railbricks instructions via MagCloud.com - it took about 1 week to receive (direct to me)... and the print out quality was excellent. Almost TLG standard. With MagCloud (or Lulu.com) you can also set up a 'shop' where people can order the printed items directly to their address...

@ Nico71: On this Eurobricks post, xSergio74 reports that he has produced a new version of SR 3D Builder. :cry_happy:

I have bought custom PDF Building Instructions from others, and some of them have security features whereby they cannot be printed. If you do this, you should make it clear that the buyer will have to build their creations in front of a computer. This is not desirable for those (like me) who have their Lego parts in a different room.

Some other sellers assigned a password-protect feature to their PDF instructions, whereby the document would not even open unless one knew the password (which usually is the original buyer's name). This would help limit the free "sharing" of files across the internet. If a "bootleg" copy ends up somewhere, EVERYONE would know who violated your copyright.

Thank you for your comment. I will answer :

@roamingstudio : the ideas of sell on BL is interesting but I prefer to have my own system. Also, blockbrick sell moc but mine are in technic part so many part are required (600 for a little moc). Sell 45€ the lifting truck (on blockbrick) for a 200-parts moc it a bit expensive. 45€ for me is the maximun price for 600-parts moc : equivalent of 125-150% or the shop@home.

Thanks for the links, it is exactly what I am lookin for : a webiste which allows buyer to buy and deliver directly them. It solves the problem of logistic with me on the center. I will check the price to know if it's correct or too expensive.

@Dluders : I will certainly not lock the printing. The PDF are locked for :

-modifying, editing

-saving a copie

-opening

People will be abble to print if they want or just consult on the computer. :)

@roamingstudio : the ideas of sell on BL is interesting but I prefer to have my own system. Also, blockbrick sell moc but mine are in technic part so many part are required (600 for a little moc). Sell 45€ the lifting truck (on blockbrick) for a 200-parts moc it a bit expensive. 45€ for me is the maximun price for 600-parts moc : equivalent of 125-150% or the shop@home.

if they want or just consult on the computer. :)

Actually it was not so much the idea of selling on BL... but rather getting some information about how well his models sell, what sort of margins, printing instructions, expectations from clients etc... I wonder how many people actually know of the custom models section on BL...

Yes I understand. I will check.

I have checked the price on magcloud and it is cheaper than my current professional printer. But the shipping in europe is quite expensive (13€).

It also possible to sell digital publications but they haven't been locked so it's not good for the anti-hacker policy. :)

Just to ad my two cent's, I do not think i'll be a customer. You build some amazing stuff, but I really only buy sets now for the new parts, like the new parts in the Unimog, or if they are good value parts packs. MOCs would generally not be good value for those who are already pretty good at building MOCs.

That being said I do think this could take off quite nicely. Bricklink is used to buy other peoples parts, brickarms and hitechnic and such are used to buy custom parts. A place to buy other peoples MOCs (either instructions or as a complete set depending on the seller) could be a gap in the AFOL market that needs filling. Besides a MOC may not necessarily be a whole model. It could be a custom part. It is a creation afterall.

I wish you the very best of luck.

I think its a interesting idea for selling instructions an sets. Could aslo maybe sell something to the equivelent to the education sets like a premade pneumatic engine, could see some young kids being introduced to technic really having a blast putting together one of those an seeing how it all works. An also loved to see a couple of good simple working truck trial like designs be available to learn off.

hello nico

I would be happy to buy MOC instructions, with a part list either in CAD ideally or photographic in PDF format, in the £5-£15 GBP price range. I enjoy seeing building techniques behind the models.

I would not buy a kit, as once i have the parts list i can buy from bricklink what i need to build.

I personally understand that reverse engineering an MOC can be a great challenge. Alot of MOC's out there do not have instructions, so reverse engineering is the only option. I would like to see all MOC's carry at least a part list so others can have a crack at building. I can also understand the rational for not producing plans for an MOC because of the time involved.

skyliner

My wife is a knitter, and I've often discussed the idea of selling Lego instructions with her. In the knitting community, it is quite common to create, publish, and sell patterns online. Prices for patterns are typically in the $5 to $7 range. She estimates it takes approximately 50 hours to write up a pattern for publishing.

One of the bigger knitting sites is www.ravelry.com. An example page of a pattern for sale is http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-valentine-sweater . A knitter uploads his/her pattern to Ravelry, and then Ravelry handles the transactions, taking a small percentage of all sales.

Edited by ella

@ Nico71: hancock73 has been selling his PDF Building Instructions for various Lego Custom Aircraft for many months. His eBay Store shows his selection. Typically, he sells the instructions via the "Buy It Now" option, and keeps rotating the auctions over and over every 30 days. You could possibly set up an eBay store the same way for your Lego Technic MOCs, and get a LOT MORE VISIBILITY WORLDWIDE in a continuous fashion. Although Eurobricks and your Nico71.fr website has many visitors, eBay has THOUSANDS of potential customers.

140.jpg140.jpg140.jpg140.jpg140.jpg