LEGO AFOL

Is It worth just buying a modular building ?

I want to buy the 2011 modular building set rumoured to be pet shop 10218.

Is It worth just buying one modular building?

But I do not plan to buy other buildings like green groccer and cafe corner to join them together.

Edited by LEGO AFOL

I think this may be best suited here.

To answer your question it is entirely up to you, I just bought my first modular building FB (fire brigade) and now I want more, even if you do not intend on buying more once you buy one you want another, I'm hoping to get GE (grand emporium) and PS (petshop) for my bday and xmas. The thrill of building a modular set is like no other set, the amount of detail in them and techniques used are well worth it let alone the amount of bricks you get. I'm kicking myself now after getting FB because I missed out on green grocer and cafe corner and market street, not an officiial mod but still cool.

But the decision is yours, I'd say it's well worth it :thumbup:

I think this may be best suited here.

To answer your question it is entirely up to you, I just bought my first modular building FB (fire brigade) and now I want more, even if you do not intend on buying more once you buy one you want another, I'm hoping to get GE (grand emporium) and PS (petshop) for my bday and xmas. The thrill of building a modular set is like no other set, the amount of detail in them and techniques used are well worth it let alone the amount of bricks you get. I'm kicking myself now after getting FB because I missed out on green grocer and cafe corner and market street, not an officiial mod but still cool.

But the decision is yours, I'd say it's well worth it :thumbup:

I wanna buy a fire brigade and a pet shop bah.

I just want to combine 2 as one is too lonely.

If you can aford to go for it, the only reason I'm not getting all of them is because I'll be skint, so I'm hoping Grand Emporium will still be available in December for my Bday but I'm not sure :sceptic:

Anyways the petshop isn't out yet so if you buy the FB now you still have time to save up for the PS :sweet:

After i bought Café corner, i couldn't resist the other ones. Ordered them as soon as they were available. I am sure that the same will happen to you.

I feel very sorry for the people that miss out on the CC and GG and market street. But you can't have mine :D

Buying a modular building is definately worth it. I dont use them for pieces but just for display. And my almost 2 year old kid plays with them.

IMO you have to have at least one corner building, otherwise it will look strange with side exposed.

Let me just add my two cents.

It doesn't stop with buying them. Once you've build one

and want to build one of the other sets, you're hooked on

before you know it. And that's when the real fun starts:

build one of your own creation! And please, don't tell me

you are not creative, because everyone is more or less.

Only thing you need to keep in mind is: Have fun!

It's definitely worth it, they're beautiful models. Good luck trying to stop after just one though! :laugh:

I bought the green grocer from the downtown Disney LEGO store, went to the hotel and built it. The next day, I went back and got the cafe corner and market street, and some other kits as well. Once you build one, good luck telling yourself you won't be buying another one haha. :thumbup:

I think it is worth it. I only have one right now and it was a big mistake not getting the others, because now they are much harder and more expensive to get. So go for it and buy away just don't always rely on the sets, make your own it is VERY fun.

It's not a sin to get just one.

Be warned - once you get one, you will be madly inspired to build a MOC in such style

I agree with all the other ones:

a) It's worth it.

b) I'll be very surprised if you don't buy more than you originally planned.

I bought Café Corner a couple of years ago, before the prices skyrocketed, and originally I had no plans on buying more than that one. But what do you know - now I have all the modulars, and have even built three of my own...

I have the Grand Emporium and the Fire Brigade and I've not turn back since purchasing them. I wish I would have gotten into them a long time ago when they first came out. so yes It is very much worth buying a Modular Building.

Yea it's worth it, they have good design and good parts (I think). However, you will probably want to get at least a few of the others to go with it. Within days of getting the Grand Emporium, I wanted to get all the others (Though so far I haven't been able to get anymore, been buying other sets.)

From a price per part view they are great value for money. The design and building techniques are great too.

If you want them as a set I would say start with the Fire Brigade, as it is probably up first on being discontinued. Then get the GE and finally the Pet Shop. Voila, a nice start for current modular layout. You'll have plenty of time to get the pet shop and I'm pretty sure same goes for the GE. I'd say forget about trying to get the others (i.e. Market St, GG, and CC) as they are just too much. That is unless you have that kind of money to burn, in which case, I'd check bricklink or craigslist, maybe eBay.

If you want to make MOCs out of them, I would still go for the FB or GE first. Like I said you have a couple years to get the new PS. Really the only bad answer is to miss out one these great sets. I almost did but, am so happy I bought them:classic:

What I'd do if I were you: buy the older sets first. New 2011 set will be around awhile, as will FB and GE - Green Grocer *may* be out, but I'd look for that first if you want to buy more than one (you will, trust me - they are so fun to build..and I'm in my 30s :))

I hope this helps/makes sense. I knew I wanted a modular building and I went with GG first as it was the oldest..then Fire Brigade (what a set, what a set!). GE is next and I *may* see how feasible it is to buy the pieces for Cafe Corner..doubt it'll be worth it.

Best of luck, happy buying/building :D

What I'd do if I were you: buy the older sets first. New 2011 set will be around awhile, as will FB and GE - Green Grocer *may* be out, but I'd look for that first if you want to buy more than one (you will, trust me - they are so fun to build..and I'm in my 30s :))

I hope this helps/makes sense. I knew I wanted a modular building and I went with GG first as it was the oldest..then Fire Brigade (what a set, what a set!). GE is next and I *may* see how feasible it is to buy the pieces for Cafe Corner..doubt it'll be worth it.

Best of luck, happy buying/building :D

I did same thing you did. I also bought all the pieces for the Cafe Corner. It was definitely worth it than paying $500-600+ on EBay or BrickLink. It cost me somewhere in the range of $150-175. However, the only problem now would be getting all of the pieces. There is one, a dark red slope piece that has been discontinued and bricklink only has a handful...you need 36. Other than that, the rest of the pieces shouldn't be too hard to get.

Maybe a bit off topic but...

Who in their right mind would spend about 500/600 dollars/euro's

on a set like cafe corner?...

Haha I'm not sure. That is pretty insane! That is why I built it from scratch. I love the set but no way I would spend $500-600 on it.

I did same thing you did. I also bought all the pieces for the Cafe Corner. It was definitely worth it than paying $500-600+ on EBay or BrickLink. It cost me somewhere in the range of $150-175. However, the only problem now would be getting all of the pieces. There is one, a dark red slope piece that has been discontinued and bricklink only has a handful...you need 36. Other than that, the rest of the pieces shouldn't be too hard to get.

Hmmmm... You got off lucky. I just finished the CC buying pieces and I think I spent about $200 -$225 or so, but better than $300 - $500 or more. I had to compromise on the dark red and use red, but it looks ok. I still need a few decorative pieces and I will get them someday.

To the OP, I started off just wanting the CC but soon saw the GE and got that one (just finished building it today). I have a second GE that I plan to use as a start to build a GG, still need quite a few parts for the GG but it will still be cheaper than buying from eBay. I didn't think I wanted the FB, but decided to get it anyway. I will assemble it but will most likley use it for parts for another modular.

I'm not sure that you can get just one modular. I started off to do that, but soon found I wanted more to add to my street.

Good luck ;)

AndyD

Maybe a bit off topic but...

Who in their right mind would spend about 500/600 dollars/euro's

on a set like cafe corner?...

It is a great set, I am sure it will be considered a classic, and there are only 15 left on BrickLink. So there is a collector's market supply/demand thing going on there.

That said, the aggregate value of the set's parts according to BrickLink is about $300. (In fact, all the modular buildings besides Market Street are right around $300 in parts value) They are mostly common, easily obtainable parts. Let's say it would cost you $350 after shipping and stuff buying from different sellers. So when someone buys the set for $600, they are basically paying $250 for those 36 dark red slopes, and the time saved on shopping from store to store to get all the parts. Yikes!

The best bang for your buck is definitely buying current sets. I would rather have four copies of Fire Brigade than one Cafe Corner.

Edited by puddleglum

The best bang for your buck is definitely buying current sets. I would rather have four copies of Fire Brigade than one Cafe Corner.

I agree, unless you absolutely have to have those sets that are discontinued, I'd get whats available. Getting a second copy of a set or just another Lego exclusive set for parts to make a MOC seem like the way to go :classic:

Hmmmm... You got off lucky. I just finished the CC buying pieces and I think I spent about $200 -$225 or so, but better than $300 - $500 or more. I had to compromise on the dark red and use red, but it looks ok. I still need a few decorative pieces and I will get them someday.

Good luck ;)

AndyD

Towards the end I thought I was going to have to settle on regular red but thankfully was able to find the dark red =) I also did the same for market street. Spent about $125 on those pieces although I had a lot of them so it helped.