mattb483

H.M.S Saint Matthews

[pid][/pid]120C

Ahoy classic pirates, I present to you my latest creation. About 10 months ago I had finally found Captain Green hairs ship building tutorial. I found the tutorial very helpful and just showed me how most of these awesome ships were built on this site. So I took my old ship, the imperial shark seeing as how its design Wasn’t all that great and decided to start a new ship! So November 22nd 2010 I began this project. I had completely taken apart the shark and started on my new flagship. After about a Month the ship started to take shape, after many different bow changes, and stern changes, I had finally got the look I wanted but there was one thing that didn't look right. The ship's colors brown and white just weren't cutting it so I then choose to change it to black and yellow, the traditional British ship colors. As I was browsing the MOC ship pages, some ships stood out to me, and those were the ones with custom rigging. This was going to be a new challenge for me and I choose to do it. This was very long, tedious, and a bit stressful but in the end it was all worth it! For the netting I took 2 different string sizes and threaded it through each other with a threading needle... I also decided to make custom mast to give me freedom so I could make the sails any size I want and position them how I want. The ship has 58 cannons and each port does have a cannon. I also decided to make custom British blue ensign flags to sail under. I'd like to thank the classic pirate forum for all the great feedback and everything on previous creations. Also my lantern design I got from CGH and Bonaparte’s Spanish Imperial Galleon Nuestra Señora de la Concepción. Also thanks again to captain green hairs tutorial it was a big help to get started on this. So check out the ship and let me know what you think!!! :bonaparte:

side.jpg

The Beauty

bow_resized.jpg

The bow

front.jpg

The side

stern.jpg

The stern

stern_side_2.jpg

Side of stern shot

rigging.jpg

The Rigging

My link

For the rest check out my brick shelf page...

OK, now that is impressive. CGH must be a great teacher. This may go down as my favorite ship I've seen yet. I love the grand stature it has yet it doesn't look too big, which is sometimes a challenge. I can't wait to get this on the classic-pirates.com blog.

Check for it in a few days.

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Nice job! There is lots of details on the ships deck and its tiled also. Can we see some more pictures about the deck? Because some pictures are blurry and its hard to see any details. But i think the ship is too tall/High to its width. Is take the third deck away to give it a sleeker look. But its a still a nice ship.

Captain Becker

Edited by Captain Becker

Thats a beast! Looks very big and menacing. It a challenge to make a 3 decker on pre-fab hulls, and I think you have done a good job, although I do agree that it would look a lot sleaker with just 2 decks. Some nice details all round and the stern looks very grand and impressive. Nice work :pir-classic:

Defenitly a "Beast to rule the Oceans" :thumbup: I agree with Derfel Cardan and Captain Becker, she could be sleeker as a two-decker but on the other hand, I would to make her one pre-fab hull longer. It's defenitly worth a try.I like the way you created the side galleries. Still haven't figured out a way to make that stable!

The tilled deck is great, too.

Great Work!

I agree with the others about the proportions.

Prefab hulls just are too narrow to build a three decker on it, no matter what technique you use.

Outside of that you did a great job on this ship. Within the smallest details the colourscheme is good.

I like the tiled decks, the stairs to the poop deck, and the rigging.

I see the HMS Victory was a source of inspiration too. Especially the blue-gold part at the bow turned out well.

My only tip is for the rigging. The jibs are almost at the same place.

So to take more advantage of the wind I would suggest to attach the inner jib to the rope just below it.

Anyway, you did a good job and it's worth a blog for sure :thumbup:

Initially I thought it looked to high for its width but thats starting to grow on me.

Although it might be best to add 1 extro midsection to even it out.

The stern looks great and the tiled decks and those stairs are just brilliant. :pir-wub:

The blue gold at the front is a nice difference from the constant black and yellow.

The headrails though I think neeed a bit of work the just seem a bit off. :pir-sceptic:

Edited by lt.Gonville brickhead

While she my look clumsy and 58 guns doesn't really qualify for a 1st rate, you have captured the genreal appearance of a 3 deck ship of the line such as the HMS Victory very well! Also the realtively elaborate figurehead with in fact two figure tells me that you've done quite some research! :thumbup:

Well done. Now you finally have a MOC you can refer to as a reference to your expereince and your skills.

Maybe put some small pictures of it in your signature?

This is what the real thing would look like:

5562080708_36ca2d9c83_b.jpg

Edited by Perfectionist

AMAZING! this vessel is the most impressive ive seen yet! I love the elaborate figurehead and the stern is the best part.