Sign in to follow this  
mutley777

Clone Wars Y-wing project

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Well as some of you may know I have been buying up parts for a Clone Wars Y-wing project.

The aim is to make one of the Y-wings in group leader colours like the Anakin Y-wing we already have. Something like this.

4552157798_9fef29aa1e_o.jpg

Then 4 more in normal colours again something like this.

darkred.jpg

I have made about 14 large parts orders and bought 2 ship only of Anakin's Y-wing to get me started. 3500+ parts is a bit of a eye opener. *huh*

parts02.jpg

While looking for pictures I found a someone has already given the Group leader ship a go. It looks ok but I don't like the normal red mixed in with the dark red so this will be the challange for me to do.

http://www.thecabg.n...c-y-wing-bomber

So tonight I have got things underway and put my Group leader together. Let me know what you think. :classic:

gls02.jpg

gls01.jpg

gls03.jpg

gls04.jpg

gls05.jpg

gls06.jpg

[updated] Squadron Y-wing.

sys03.jpg

sys01.jpg

sys02.jpg

sys04.jpg

All three. :classic:

sys06.jpg

[Final update]

The full flight with 1 group leader and 4 standard y-wings.

fs01.jpg

fs03.jpg

fs02.jpg

All 6.

fs04.jpg

fs04.jpg

fs06.jpg

Even though it is basically a glorified parts swap, it looks good in red, can't wait to see the full squadron(s)

Are you going to MOC them? IIRC clone pilots don't fit in the cockpits.

Even though it is basically a glorified parts swap, it looks good in red,

I would have to agree with that, this looks like the red Y-wing set that ADHO did in LDD. I'd love to see you do a custom Y-wing from the ground up, but this looks pretty good already.

Even though it is basically a glorified parts swap, it looks good in red, can't wait to see the full squadron(s)

Are you going to MOC them? IIRC clone pilots don't fit in the cockpits.

Well it kind of is and kind of is'nt. There are so many parts that you can't get in the dark red it made for some interesting changes but I think it turned out ok. The worst part is the lack of a dark red 12x3 wedge plate for the rest of the squadron. :laugh:

I had not even tried a clone in it :wacko: . Looks like a few more part orders are neaded. :laugh:

I would have to agree with that, this looks like the red Y-wing set that ADHO did in LDD.

I was just about to say that I beat mutley to it. :tongue:

red_ywing_starfighter.jpg

I'm only kidding! This real-brick version is much more impressive. I can't wait to see what all the finished models look like together! :thumbup:

I had not even tried a clone in it :wacko: . Looks like a few more part orders are neaded. :laugh:

The fin gets caught in the gap in the cockpit connections, and the 'bubble turret' isn't tall enough

I was just about to say that I beat mutley to it. :tongue:

red_ywing_starfighter.jpg

Well I missed that! Very nice work ADHO15!

Well I have had a go and a clone gunner fits on the bubble just fine but the pilot does need seeing to. Back to BL I go. :laugh:

Well I missed that! Very nice work ADHO15!

Thank you! :sweet:

With it being LDD, I could just recolour all the parts and not have to worry whether TLG made them all!

I like it. Maybe you could do a factory version, in all grey, and white.

Are you using the stock model, or making some mods, because that ugly turret kinda ruins the whole ship (which isn't to say that your isn't nice).

Anyway I look forward to seeing the whole wing.

Now lets see yellow one or red one........RED one totally ROCKS ! :grin:

AWESOME brick-built one 'mutley777' and LDD one 'ADH015' ! :grin:

The red really makes this one pop......may the brick be with you ! :grin:

That's a cool project you've started there.

The Y-Wing looks awesome in dark red.

Can't wait to see a bunch of these lined up next to each other :wub:

blogged

That's a cool project you've started there.

The Y-Wing looks awesome in dark red.

Can't wait to see a bunch of these lined up next to each other :wub:

blogged

KimT, your link just links to the EB topic. I'll put it on my post until you edit yours, if you don't mind :grin:

Blog linky

This really looks great mutley! Yeah I know it's more of a MOD than a MOC, but it's still nice to see the Y-Wing in the dark red squad leader color. And ordering 3,500+ parts ain't no joke, so kudos for doing this and showing us how a real brickbuild Y-Wing squadron will look like. Looking forward for the completion of this project. :thumbup:

Mutly, that looks awesome, it's great to see something built exactly to spec, but in a different color scheme.

Most Impressive.

Wow, Mutley! This is looking great! I actually like the dark red version more then the yellow, looks better imo.

Looking forward to seeing what they all look like together! :sweet:

CF

KimT, your link just links to the EB topic. I'll put it on my post until you edit yours, if you don't mind :grin:

Blog linky

What the !)"(#?

:laugh: Thanks for fixing it :blush:

It interesting in that the TLG and Mutley model, the white and coloured parts are switched from the CW image you provided. I wonder what it would look like if it was the other way around...

EDIT: Just had another look and it's the correct way round for the first image but switched in the 2nd. Where did the 2nd image come from? The yellow version is still switched from the image.

Edited by chris_austin

It interesting in that the TLG and Mutley model, the white and coloured parts are switched from the CW image you provided. I wonder what it would look like if it was the other way around...

EDIT: Just had another look and it's the correct way round for the first image but switched in the 2nd. Where did the 2nd image come from? The yellow version is still switched from the image.

The second picture is a grab from the great "Landing at Point Rain" season 2 episode.

The CW Y-wing colours can get a bit confusing, so here goes. I my first post you have the Flight Group leader (first picture) and then the normal colors of the rest of the squadron second picture. For the Yellow Y-wing we have Anakins Group leader colours and then reversed again for his squadron. These pictures might help explain. :classic:

Anakins Y-wing Group leader (the 8039 set)

BTL-B_Y-wing_fighter.jpg

Normal squadron Y-wing

y_art.jpg

I got round to finishing one of the standard squadron Y-wing's today. let me know what you think as I might try to make the red stripe a little thinner.

sys03.jpg

sys01.jpg

sys02.jpg

sys04.jpg

All three. :classic:

sys06.jpg