Sign in to follow this  
Jedd the Jedi

[MOC] Sith Infiltrator

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Just like with the Millennium Falcon, I've tried to approximate the new, soon-to-be-released version of the set by modifying the existing one I have. I made the nose longer and tried to make the cockpit look less blocky using the quadrant plates - the main thing I haven't "fixed" are the wings, mostly because I can't think of much use for the pieces other than as...wings on a Sith Infiltrator.

sith_infiltrator_phase_iii_1.jpg

sith_infiltrator_phase_iii_4.jpg

sith_infiltrator_phase_iii_5.jpg

sith_infiltrator_phase_iii_6.jpg

sith_infiltrator_phase_iii_7.jpg

sith_infiltrator_phase_iii_open_panel.jpg

Brickshelf gallery (when public)

Compare to the earlier version I did:

sith_infiltrator_version_2.jpg

At first glance I thought the 'nose' of this one looked a bit short that what it should have, but after a quick comparison with some reference images, I must say the overall dimensions look pretty accurate, and I really like the use of those curved slope for the wing tips. But this still have tons of improvement, particularly in getting the overall smooth build of the nose and the spherical shape of the cockpit. You've done a good job so far, and hope to see some significant upgrades in the next version.

Excellent work 'Jedd The Jedi', now you won't have to buy the new one eh ? Just order Maul off of BL ! :laugh:

May the Sith Brick be with you ! :grin:

it looks great Jedd The Jedi however the nose still looks a bit too wide a the end closes to the cockpit, and a bit too short still, however it is a big improvement. could you perhaps make the jump between the end of the nose and the front of the cockpit a bit less steep, it needs to be slightly more round, like a ball with a nose.like this.

Still looks better than the origional.

Shame you have to use the stupid version of the speeder Ah well.

Here's some solid reference. Secondhand schematics are all right, but they're usually flawed.

The shape of the nose is much better, but I think the ball cockpit needs some work. Here's one way to approximate a sphere in LEGO. You could probably do more in the rear if you were to scrap the printed TIE piece entirely. (It's not too accurate, anyway.)

Hey everyone, thanks for the comments - I really appreciate having the experts weigh in! The spherical cockpit has to be one of the toughest things to get right on this craft, when you look back at LEGO's first official version of this craft in 1999, they really looked stumped. I'm not sure if I want to ditch the printed TIE Fighter cockpit piece; that's kind of my security blanket. But, all good things to note for Phase IV, though that may wait - I do want to build some new sets that just arrived, including the 2010 Slave I, the Clone Turbo Tank and the Endor Battle set. I'm thinking of turning the 6209 Slave I that I own into Jango Fett's version by swapping out some pieces for blue and green ones.

I'm not sure if I want to ditch the printed TIE Fighter cockpit piece; that's kind of my security blanket.

You'll find that ditching typical parts that LEGO uses does you a world of good. I scrapped the 8L cannon pieces on my X-wing and it looks a lot better now. The same could be said for the canopy piece of the Lambda shuttle.

The thing is, that as a MOD of the set you can only go so far in improving it, I've got a MOD of TLG Separatist Shuttle that I will post soon. But the sets are usually so wrong only a MOC will fix them, Jedd the Jedi probable cant go much further, without making it a MOC, and the stupid TIE Fighter cockpit piece is a integral part of the ship. On my shuttle, the huge cockpit that was bigger than the space at the back was something I would have liked to get rid of but I didn't.

I would look a lot better without it though. :classic::thumbup:.

Edited by Mr Man