Gabe

MOC: Queen Victoria market facade

Hi all! I don't build much in the way of town or city themed MOCs, but i made an exception recently. :classic: This is my version of the historic Queen Vic market facade in Melbourne, Australia. The facade itself is actually wider, but i couldn't get my hands on enough tan in time (was building to a deadline), hence the "condensed version" :grin: I was inspired to build it by the amazing animal freize above the main doors, i just knew the cow and pig would sit up there perfectly! (well, kinda, the pig keeps falling off) Also, the markets are a bit of a local for me and i wanted to pay homage to it. Anyway, i hope you find something to enjoy in my creation, any feedback or suggestions would be most welcome.

Cheers and have a great day!

ps. i would post a reference pic, but i got all my source material from the web and i don't want to nick other ppls photos. So if yr interested in seeing the building you should google images for "Queen Victoria markets".

marketbuilding3rs1_110312.jpg

marketbuilding4rs1_110312.jpg

More images on my Brickshelf

Edited by gabe

Awesome! :sweet: I have never seen the original, but yours is lovely. You have really squeezed a lot of nice textures out of that tan. And I love those white and dark red squares in the front. But what's that tennis player doing up there? :look: Not to mention the gorilla...

Awesome! :sweet: I have never seen the original, but yours is lovely. You have really squeezed a lot of nice textures out of that tan. And I love those white and dark red squares in the front. But what's that tennis player doing up there? :look: Not to mention the gorilla...

Thankyou! Sorry, i should have explained the tennis player... idk, i just couldn't do a Melbourne MOC without a sportsperson being in there somewhere? (Melbournites are known for being utterly sports-obsessed) And we had the Australian Open recently, so it sort of fitted. As for the gorilla, he just came for the bananas. :wink:

Great to see you post this wonderful MOC here as well :] You never confirmed my suspicions though - is that banana thief really an Ausie thing? :grin:

Even though I live in Adelaide, I have been to these markets and let me tell those outside of Oz it is HUGE....it's where you go to buy cheap leather jackets and men's shoes ! :grin:

What an AWESOME creation, such detail and in Melbourne an ape at markets....where else but Melbourne.....those Collingwood supporters ! :laugh:

The guy with the truck might be a trader and is unloading his little truck which is also quite nice ! :thumbup:

Excellent work 'gabe' and totally Brick On ! :grin:

Nice MOC, I have been there myself and you absolutely nailed it.

If we had something as good as the Queen Victoria Markets in Perth, I would go there all the time.

Thankyou all for such kind words! Very encouraging for a nascent MOC'cer such as myself. :classic:

Is the truck Electrician?

No, it's a fish delivery truck. The building behind the facade is a great deal larger (and deeper) than shown, and is where meat and seafood is sold. It is actually only one small part of the markets - there are vast seperate sections for fruit and veg, cheese and deli items and cheap knock-off imports, as lightningtiger mentioned! I can understand yr confusion though, with the truck hiding behind the traffic light.

You never confirmed my suspicions though - is that banana thief really an Ausie thing? :grin:

Quite probably. Cyclone Yasi wiped out over 80% of this seasons banana crop, so prices for bananas have gone, well, bananas. :laugh: Not quite as bad as with cyclone Larry a few years back, when prices hit $15 a kilo and various Melb underworld characters were reputed to use them as legal tender, but certainly high enough for zoo staff to stop buying them for their primates!

..in Melbourne an ape at markets....where else but Melbourne.....those Collingwood supporters ! :laugh:

Oh you. :laugh: It's ok, i prefer watching the rugby instead.

If we had something as good as the Queen Victoria Markets in Perth, I would go there all the time.

Ikr?? I grew up in Perth too, it was quite a culture shock when i first moved over here. :classic:

Ah, you like the Storm do you....actually I like the West Tigers....go figure with my logo eh..any football team called the tigers.

Are you going to expand this ?

How about a mega MOC.....Flinders St. Station eh ? :grin:

Brick On ! :grin:

Ah, you like the Storm do you....actually I like the West Tigers....go figure with my logo eh..any football team called the tigers.

I'm more a union fan, actually. Used to play and all that. :classic: Anyway, i wouldn't touch the Storm with a bargepole atm, what with the massive salary cap cheating which went on there. :hmpf_bad:

So if it's ANY footy team called the Tigers, don't tell me you follow Richmond as well? My commiserations if so! :wink:

Are you going to expand this ?

How about a mega MOC.....Flinders St. Station eh ? :grin:

Brick On ! :grin:

Not going to expand, no - i need the bricks for other projects. I'd love to tackle Flinder's St station sometime though, it's a pretty awesome building. :wub: Did you know they had a ballroom upstairs there? For the use of employees, apparently, although it hasn't been used for years now.

Queen-Victoria-Market-Melbourne-Fassade.jpg

for those who would like to see the real thing, as you can see Gabe has done a briliant job on this Aussie icon :thumbup: .

Did you just say you don't normally do city/town-themed builds? Well it looks like you've been doing these for years now as this is simply a wonderful creation gabe! :thumbup: Based on the reference image, I must say you really captured the real thing very accurately, from the overall tan color scheme to the the animal wall details.

We've from tigerland......! :laugh:

How did you guess and don't rub it in.....! :grin:

You going to expand this MOC if you can or leave as it is ? :wink:

Keep on kicking drop goals ! :laugh:

for those who would like to see the real thing, as you can see Gabe has done a briliant job on this Aussie icon :thumbup: .

Thankyou very much for the kind comment and thanks as well for posting a reference pic, since i am clearly too lazy to get my own! :grin: Lovely pic too btw.

Did you just say you don't normally do city/town-themed builds? Well it looks like you've been doing these for years now as this is simply a wonderful creation gabe! :thumbup: Based on the reference image, I must say you really captured the real thing very accurately, from the overall tan color scheme to the the animal wall details.

Aw shucks! :blush: Thanks heaps, it's very encouraging to hear.

You going to expand this MOC if you can or leave as it is ? :wink:

Keep on kicking drop goals ! :laugh:

Sadly i can neither expand this or keep it together as i need the peices for the D2C challenge in the action forum. So it's coming apart in next few days. Creation and destruction.. ah, the sweet life cycle of the plastic brick...

We've from tigerland......! :laugh:

How did you guess and don't rub it in.....! :grin:

Haha, that's ok, at least you can console yrself that you have the best theme song in the league. Yellow and black! :thumbup:

Awesome MOC gabe, all that lovely tan, and I love all the detail and lines. It's also a great way to show off you collectable minifigs :laugh:.

Thankyou very much! :classic: Yeah, a lot of my town compatible minifigs seem to come from the collectables. Some of the HP torso and legs have been useful as well.

Just a quick question, is the violin that the jester's playing a Brick arms piece?

Brickforge. You can get them with black neck and chin rests now too. :thumbup:

I'm really sad I couldn't make the MUGs* meeting now, since you will be destroying this. I was at the Sandown train show all weekend. Of all the Melbourne MOCs this was the one I most wanted to see, I think the cow and the pig are perfect and the rest of the facade fit very well.

*This MOC was built for a photo shoot of Melbourne icons for a Melbourne newspaper at the monthly meeting of Melbourne Lego Users Group (MUGs).

I'm really sad I couldn't make the MUGs* meeting now, since you will be destroying this. I was at the Sandown train show all weekend. Of all the Melbourne MOCs this was the one I most wanted to see, I think the cow and the pig are perfect and the rest of the facade fit very well.

*This MOC was built for a photo shoot of Melbourne icons for a Melbourne newspaper at the monthly meeting of Melbourne Lego Users Group (MUGs).

Aw, i'm sorry to have to disappoint you, hopefully i can bring another MOC to the meeting after next? (not sure if i will be able to make next month yet) It was a really fun meeting though, it was my first time there so i was a bit nervous, but everyone was really welcoming.

I hope the train show went well! :classic:

Great MOC gabe :thumbup: Great detail! I love the color contrast of the dark red and white among the tan. That really "pops" out! I also, really like the detailed architecture of the walls and roof. Really great work on this :classic:

Great MOC gabe :thumbup: Great detail! I love the color contrast of the dark red and white among the tan. That really "pops" out! I also, really like the detailed architecture of the walls and roof. Really great work on this :classic:

Thanks Leg Godt Gud, i'm glad you like it! Thanks heaps for the feedback. :classic:

Ok, so i recently went back and rebuilt the market building facade for an exhibition in Melbourne called "The Art of the Brick" by Nathan Sawaya - the Melbourne LEGO Users Group were invited to join the party with some of thier Melbourne themed MOC's. :thumbup: So i took the opportunity to make some changes to my MOC in the hope of improving it along the way:

vicmarketfacadeversionseb.jpg

Here you can see the first and second verions side by side. I changed the windows from white to trans-black bricks (and some trans-clear 1 x 2 plates to make the SNOT sections fit - i was a little worried about how that would look, but i don't think it's too horrendous), changed the under-profile of the diagonal ledge, created an interior, changed the left wall from tan to red-brick, added a gate to the left wall and made a few changes to the minifig personnel. :classic:

marketbuildingredux3eb_110528.jpg

This image shows the red-brick wall. I am pretty pleased with the way this turned out.

marketbuildingredux4eb_110528.jpg

The interior. It's a bit cramped in the fish shops due to the reduced width of the building. :sceptic: But it's all moot anyway, as the model will be against the wall in the exhibition, and thus the interior won't be visible. Oh well! :laugh:

Anyway, i'd love to hear about what ppl think of the changes i've made. Do you think it's an improvement or not? There are more and (slightly) larger pics on my flickr, for those who might be interested.

Thanks for looking, and for those Melbournians about, i highly recommend seeing "The Art of the Brick" at Fed square. (i got a sneak peek when i was setting up on the weekend - it looks great!) :classic:

Edited by gabe

Both of those are fantastic, and I love the details that you've added in the second version. It might please you to know that I've only been to Melbourne twice, and I recognised it straight away.

If anyone was up for the challenge of building Flinders Street Station, I'd definitely watch that topic in awe. It's my favourite building in the world.

Excellent stuff!! Love all the little architectural details and the interior looks great too. Nice work!!