Pandora

2012 Friends Discussion Thread

I say keep it Paradisa-like. As in, lots of pastel colors. And lots, and lots of female figs.

They need to bring the sexy back with those beach sets, swimming pools and that saucy restaurant.

Let's all hope for NOT a lot of pink, but a mixture of colours and ideas too.....maybe toss in a shopping mall, tennis court or nightclub...something girls would want but boys (small and big :laugh: ) would also want just as much.

Sorry to say, but all my main sources have been drained and no more information. :cry_sad:

Anyway, Brick On ! :grin:

I would love a nightclub but most kids don't even know what a nightclub is. :grin:

EDIT: Punctuation

Edited by Fuzzylegobricks

I would love to see a shopping centre, cafes, beaches and tennis courts, because without them our towns/cities aren't too realistic. I also think that a cinema would be a great set. It could either be a drive-in one with cars, or an inside one with rows of seats.

A cinema was in Town Plan (note to self rebuild for train show...oh, poop ! :blush: ), but a modern one would be nice. I'm not a fan of too many pastel colours, female minifigs - yes please more....you gotta give the fire figthers, police and construction workers some girls to chat up right ? :devil:

I feel a three to five shop street frontage of various businesses, fashion houses, hair salon, cafe, etc., would be perfect - the cafe would have to serve Latte ! :laugh:

Brick On ! :grin:

A cinema was in Town Plan (note to self rebuild for train show...oh, poop ! :blush: ), but a modern one would be nice.

Brick On ! :grin:

More likely to get a modular one at some point in the future rather than a release in the new girls theme

More likely to get a modular one at some point in the future rather than a release in the new girls theme

I don't see why they shouldn't release a cinema in this new theme. I think that if LEGO made a good job of it, it'd be really popular.

Oh it's gonna have minifigs all right. I do know that.

That's all right then. :classic:

So this theme is kind of confirmed, but with no further details? I'd like to see some smaller sets with a more recreational focus, rather than what we normally get with the City theme, such as emergency services and police stuff. Regardless of the target audience, that would probably be well-received by many City fans.

Maybe the collectable minifigs will give us a clue, like the female lifesaver in series two if my memory serves me right ? :wink:

Keep on waiting ! :grin:

Maybe the collectable minifigs will give us a clue, like the female lifesaver in series two if my memory serves me right ? :wink:

Keep on waiting ! :grin:

I dislike using the collectible minifigures as clues to future themes-- it would make about as much sense to use BIONICLE or Hero Factory sets to predict future themes. After all, the collectible minifigures are a theme of their own, even if some of the minifigs in them resemble ideas from past and current themes. And frankly, as far as I can tell, some of the collectible minifigs are designed to be figs that wouldn't or couldn't fit in other themes.

Should we expect a martial arts theme because of the Sumo Wrestler and Karate Master? A disco theme because of the Disco Dude? A Mexican theme because of the Maraca Man? Of course not. These are all ideas that work great in the collectible minifigures, and ideas that could potentially leak into other themes like City someday down the line. But there's no reason to assume that they're hints to future products rather than independent products that are included based on their own individual merits.

As for this upcoming theme, we don't have enough info so far to judge what it will be like. I currently expect it to use a lot of pastel colors, not because I think girls won't like a theme without pastel colors but because LEGO is introducing a lot of pastel colors this year, and many of them only have occasional uses in the sets we've seen. For instance, there's a light lavender color, 325, which has only been seen on the boom box of the Series 5 fitness trainer, and a slightly-darker lavender color, 324, which has only been seen on a female minifigure clock at the New York ToyFair. There are also the colors 323 Aqua, debuting in this summer's Cars sets, and 326 Spring Yellowish Green, which has yet to make its debut.

New colors that have been introduced to LEGO's color palette recently have tended to appear prominently in certain themes-- examples include 311 Transparent Bright Green in Atlantis, 312 Medium Nougat in Prince of Persia, or 315 Silver Metallic and 316 Titanium Metallic in Kingdoms and Hero Factory. This could be in part because LEGO is trying to keep their color palette fairly small these days, and so only introduces colors when they are confident that they can use those colors enough to make them worthwhile. So I would expect that some of these pastel colors are expected to be used thoroughly in future themes. Given that traditionally LEGO (and for that matter, most toy companies) reserves pastel colors for female-oriented products, there's a strong chance that the upcoming girls' theme will be where a lot of these colors will show up most prominently.

If I were a marketing manager, I'd probably be doing some diligent research on whether or not girls would react more to contemporary sets or more period based stuff. Do girls want to play with figs doing active things like riding scooters or going to the fashion boutique, or would they be more impressed with Victorian era figs in fancy gowns and ballroom settings, things like that.

Our girls are really into dress-up, and 'old-time' stuff... I bet TLG could really put together a nice line of period stuff, AND the fact that it's exclusive just to the girls' line would also compel adult collectors to give it a long, hard look.

My opinion is just like Ninjago build and play has been created from other toys similar, then so to a girl theme Lego product would be similar to say Brats or dare I say Barbie....yes, a minifig scale Barbie. Think about we have heard the rumour that medical sets are appearing in city next year and girls love medical things....my wife is an addict of real life medical shows like R.P.A. !

Also animals....hence the new forthcomming pet store modular.....remember Fire Brigade came out then next came the new city fire station.....maybe we'll be getting a vet clinic !

Aw, well keep on guessing....we have the next 5 or so months to guess with ! :wink:

Also animals....hence the new forthcomming pet store modular.....remember Fire Brigade came out then next came the new city fire station.....maybe we'll be getting a vet clinic !

Aw, well keep on guessing....we have the next 5 or so months to guess with ! :wink:

Would be useful, they could borrow ideas from Playmobil, they have a vets clinic amongst their range

Does anyone have any idea when we'll be getting some news on this front?

Well it depends what wave they're going to be released next year. That is, if they're definetely going ahead. I think if they're coming in the January wave well hear news in August-ish. If they're released in the Summer wave then I'd say we'd hear news in late December to January.

well i was thinking (i know it really did hurt) now that TLG has stuck a deal with "Disney" with Cars and POTC... is it possible that they might do a Disney princess' Theme? ie: the little mermaid, Snow White, Sleeping beauty, Cinderella or even the Recent new Tinkerbell computer animated movies? could be possible...

well i was thinking (i know it really did hurt) now that TLG has stuck a deal with "Disney" with Cars and POTC... is it possible that they might do a Disney princess' Theme? ie: the little mermaid, Snow White, Sleeping beauty, Cinderella or even the Recent new Tinkerbell computer animated movies? could be possible...

I imagine LEGO would first want to test the waters with non-licensed themes to figure out exactly what kind of sets girls tend to like. For instance, in a Disney Princess theme they could go for a "dollhouse" style like Belville, or they could go for a more traditional building style with complex castles (although they'd probably keep some "dollhouse" qualities like a well-furnished interior and a lot of room for sticking your hands in and acting out scenes with the figures). As of yet, LEGO's done focus-group testing to determine some aspects of how girls prefer to play with their LEGO sets, but focus-group testing doesn't produce results with the same level of certainty as actual sales.

Joke/This theme will be like Ninjago for girls. 5 heroines (based on flowers) fighting with evil junk-pirates!/joke :laugh:

I hope this theme will be like Paradisa or like Minifig doll house.

What is not needed is something loaded with pink....pink and more pink...a little pink is fine, but Lego has tried the Barbie style product before. :wink:

My gut feeling is that they will be city sets but with an angle towards what interests mainly girls....medical and of course shopping ! :grin:

Wasn't there a female construction worker in a recent advent hmmmm, what about a female plumber or motor mechanic eh ? :grin:

Keep on guessing ! :grin:

The Eurobrick Ladies should chime in here and tell us what did THEY like (or would have liked) to do with Lego when they were children.

My daughter is still too young to give me clues... she loves playing with the minifigs and tries to build some small stuff, but nothing of what she builds is particularly "girly". Of course girls don't actually need a girly theme, they can build and play any other theme, but if TLG is releasing something specifically girly, I have a hard time imagining anything else than something similar to Paradisa. Although a fairytales parallel to Kingdoms would be also a good idea.

Edit: actually all of a sudden having a daughter feels so convenient... 'cause I would love a fairytales theme :laugh:

Edited by Legoist

i have a 4 year old girl who loves to build castles and buses but i bet she would love a Disney princess theme....

I'd love a Disney princess theme too! :tongue:

Hopefully they wont go to the extreme and make it babyish, just something that will appeal to girls

...but I really hope it's not going to be a licensed theme :sadnew: There's no need to pay Disney to make a princess/fairytales product, as long as you don't copy the specific look & clothes of their cartoon characters, and certainly Disney doesn't own the rights on the names of characters from famous fairytales but at most only the appearance used in their animated movies.

I don't think that a princess theme is comming, I feel an extension of city and creator which are both popular with girls as well as boys.

I guess around September onwards we will find out what 2012 has instore ! :wink:

I wonder what age group of girls they are after. I think Fabuland was successful for many years as it went for a slightly younger market (think 4-8 rather than 6-10), and wonder if this is where Lego needs to reapproach the girls market from, rather than at the older end as it seems girls grow up pretty quick nowadays.

I think part of what made Fabuland successful is that it wasn't overly girly in terms of colours and other stereotypical "girl" stuff.