• 4 – Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Set Name: Deep Sea Raider

Set Number: 7984

Number of Pieces: 164

Figures:1

Released: 2011

List Price: £25.99 (GBP) $? (USD) 29.99 (EURO)

7984Peeron.com

7984Bricklink Catalogue

Back from doing some diving so what better way to spend the time before I go back to work than building a diving related Lego set so as there wasn't a review for it already I thought I'd share. I've refrained from making diving jokes didn't want to start a certification agency war (I had one of those on holiday!)

Lets us begin with the box.

7984-01.jpg

Someone clearly hasn't taught these divers look don't touch.

7984-02.jpg

The back of the box shows the opening and where the ROV is stored..

Contents

7984-03.jpg

I was expecting more than two bags for some reason.

Minifigs

You get one diver with yellow fins not sure if this is the first time we've got yellow ones but it is the first time I've noticed. You all get the Hammer head warrior which is as has already been pointed out a very cool fig.

7984-04.jpg

Front view.

7984-05.jpg

Side view.

You get a mini-ROV version of the main sub which as you can see is simple to construct but quite pleasing to the eye

7984-06.jpg

Next could have a column and treasure, sadly the value of gems have been seriously devalued by market saturation over time? However some extra Atlantis armour is a very welcome bit of treasure in this set.

7984-11.jpg

Treasure but will our diver look and not touch?.

The Main Sub

The rest of the build is to construct the main sub it's not a hard of challenging build you get about a third of the way with the rest of bag 1 then bag 2 has the larger bits that make the sub look good.

Bag 1

7984-07.jpg

Complete Sub

7984-08.jpg

Looking good!.

7984-09.jpg

The rear where you can store your ROV!.

Time to add in the figure.

7984-10.jpg

Everyone together and look he's touching.

The Rating System

Figures: 9.5/10 (The diver isn't bad but I simply love the Hammer head warrior.)

Parts 7.5/10 (Fair selection of parts and boosted with Atlantis armour)

Fun Fun Fun 7/10 (Not that much you can do really but it's still quite fun!)

Design 9/10 (Getting close to perfection for me as far as sub designs go)

Price 6.5/10 (Lego seems pricey this year but is fair for comparable sets)

Grand Total 39.5/50 (High but deserving if you ask me)

Conclusions

I love diving sets, even if the theme doesn't inspire me I'm still quite lickely to pick them up, it's just something I do being a diver I like to have a few out in the corner of my home dedicated to scuba and all thing underwater. So what do I make of this set, I like it the sub is well designed and functional, flick fire missiles are an interesting addition but mounting them on power miners parts looks really good. As for the figs the Hammer head I've already raved about but I also like the fact that it's Dr. Brains from the Power Miners series brought in to save on new printing I mean to provide his expertise with drilling and so on, also explains the lack of observation of the rules around touching objects and so on. I wasn't hugely convinced by the first wave of Atlantis but the summer wave and then this New Year wave has really made a convert of me and shall be sad to see them dive below the waves for the last time as I don't anticipate another wave but at least they went out with a splash.

Thanks for this review, I've been waiting for this for a while, great set and a great review

Thanks!!! :sweet:

Great review! IMO this is the best set of the new Atlantis wave. I like the mini version too :thumbup:

I would've liked another fig for the price though.

Edited by prateek