Brick Tamland

WIP LDD "The Vasa"

Did some work on the mystery ship I teased about in another thread. The ship is (roughly) based on the Vasa, a Swedish 64 gun warship that sunk less than a mile into its maiden voyage. Despite a short life, it is the basis for the Flying Dutchman in the POTC series. The original ship was extremely ornate, which is proving to be challenging to accurately represent. The scale is a bit off, but I had to make some compromises to keep the brick count down and a bit of my sanity. I've finished about 40% of the hull, and I moved on to shaping the stern because I got tired of making individual ribs!

lddscreenshot35.png

lddscreenshot36.png

Edit: Decorated the stern.

lddscreenshot37.png

lddscreenshot38.png

Edited by Brick Tamland

Leave it to the Swedes to put their largest Naval fiasco into a museum. :pir-hmpf:

http://www.vasamuseet.se/en/

Quote from the movie Elizabethtown: "There's a diffrence between a failure and a fiasco. A failure is merely the absence of success. Any fool can achieve failure. But a fiasco, a fiasco is a disaster of epic propotions. A fiasco is a folk tale told to other's to make other people feel more alive because it didn't happen to them."

Leave it to the Swedes to put their largest Naval fiasco into a museum. :pir-hmpf:

That made me laugh and hard :pir_laugh2:

The Vasas first voyage was indeed a total fiasko, i cant even imagine everybodys faces when they saw Vasa going down right when it was putted into the water. But on to the topic, looking good so far, i like the size and the stern. One thing i would change is that you could change the yellow parts into golden ones. Otherly this is very promising looking ship. Good luck. Oh, and are you planning to make an interior of this ship?

Captain Becker

You did a good job here. The colourscheme is nice and I like the stern view a lot.

Perhaps the whole stern+side galleries section could be made a bit larger though.

The highest side galleries are almost as long as the space between 4 gunports on the vasa.

I know it's a bit of a fantasy ship, but it may look odd on the finished ship when the stern is too small.

Outside of that I like this very much and I'm looking forward to the next update. Good luck.

Great! I read about that ship the other day, glad to see someone make it. Will you make it in reality?

That made me laugh and hard :pir_laugh2:

The Vasas first voyage was indeed a total fiasko, i cant even imagine everybodys faces when they saw Vasa going down right when it was putted into the water. But on to the topic, looking good so far, i like the size and the stern. One thing i would change is that you could change the yellow parts into golden ones. Otherly this is very promising looking ship. Good luck. Oh, and are you planning to make an interior of this ship?

Captain Becker

Well imagine the look on King Henry VIII face when he watched his beloved Mary Rose keel over and sink. Thats what you get when you overload it with too many cannons, what a show off. Anyway, this moc is looking good so far and I really like the colours. Our you thinking about making this out of bricks eventually? Its nice to see another ship like this being built, im hoping more people will start building these older ships as the forum is filled with the same type. I look forward to your next update :pir-classic:

The combination of techniques you are using here (arguably both are CGH's) seams the best working for a complete ship model to me. :thumbup:

I too thought about building an entire hull model inspired by the Prinz Willem, but never started it because I felt it would be inferior. But it's still a very great surprise you're working on this project; and the tumblehome technique taken from the CGH minifigure illusion scale ships might work better than anything else. But we'll have to see how it works out.

You should therefore still give some credit to him as there can be no doubt where you're inspiration comes from. :pir-devil:

Oh, and let's hope you're transferring her into real bricks at some point!

The combination of techniques you are using here (arguably both are CGH's) seams the best working for a complete ship model to me. :thumbup:

I too thought about building an entire hull model inspired by the Prinz Willem, but never started it because I felt it would be inferior. But it's still a very great surprise you're working on this project; and the tumblehome technique taken from the CGH minifigure illusion scale ships might work better than anything else. But we'll have to see how it works out.

You should therefore still give some credit to him as there can be no doubt where you're inspiration comes from. :pir-devil:

I wonder if in the credits on the new POTC game it will say 'and thanks to CGH and the Classic Pirate users for the techniques we've used in the game'

I wonder if in the credits on the new POTC game it will say 'and thanks to CGH and the Classic Pirate users for the techniques we've used in the game'

It would be great if they would, but knowing TLG they just won't as long there is any way to avoid stating fan influence. I don't really like that policy; and I also don't like it doesn't say anywhere on the UCS shuttle that it's fan created or based on a fan created MOC (which is better than the set btw), but nobody can really do anything about it and most people don't mind. :imperialguard_commander1:

Yes, most of my inspiration came from CGH's frigate thread. I've played around with some other hull designs, but for a curved hull, the jumper plate method seems to work the best. I'd like to add planking some sort of planking texture to the tumblehome, but in LDD everything I've come up with so far looks just as smooth as using bricks. I'd love to put this together for real, but I don't have any bricks, or excess cash to purchase the parts until I finish grad school. So right now this is just a way to kill time and be creative.

I should have a massive update coming after next weekend once finals are done.

That is looking sweet, can't wait to see more.

P.S. LDD and others are a revolution! Especially for us poor saps who cant afford all that physical product.

http://www.vasamuseet.se/en/

Quote from the movie Elizabethtown: "There's a diffrence between a failure and a fiasco. A failure is merely the absence of success. Any fool can achieve failure. But a fiasco, a fiasco is a disaster of epic propotions. A fiasco is a folk tale told to other's to make other people feel more alive because it didn't happen to them."

damn straight, Tobbe. Damn straight.

this is wonderful. the stern is especially excellent. is this to be illusion scale or minifig scale?

Quick update. Currently working on the curves for the bow of the ship. There are about 20 studs left to complete the hull. Decks have been added and I've started on some of the detailing. Here is a shot of the entrance to the captain's cabin and the stairs to the upper deck.

lddscreenshot43.png

The wheel is temporary. I'd like to sink it into the deck a bit and I may move it to make room for the aft most mast.

lddscreenshot44.png

Edited by Brick Tamland

Beatiful looking ship, i really like the colours what you use over there, and the rest of it is just fantastic. Planning to do an interior over there? Keep it up.

Captain Becker

Beatiful looking ship, i really like the colours what you use over there, and the rest of it is just fantastic. Planning to do an interior over there? Keep it up.

Captain Becker

I may put some furniture in the captains cabin when I'm finished with the rest of the ship. Thats probably as far as I'll go though. The new release of LDD added the new hull pieces, so I'm already planning a new project that I can eventually build in real bricks.

This vessel looks really good so far! :thumbup:

As mentioned already, the color of the ship looks great.

What are you using for reference material for the Vasa?

Quick update. Currently working on the curves for the bow of the ship. There are about 20 studs left to complete the hull. Decks have been added and I've started on some of the detailing. Here is a shot of the entrance to the captain's cabin and the stairs to the upper deck.

I would use "cheese wedge" slopes (1x1 slope that's 2 plates high) instead of 1x1 tiles.

The stair case still looks awesome though. :pir-classic:

This vessel looks really good so far! :thumbup:

As mentioned already, the color of the ship looks great.

What are you using for reference material for the Vasa?

I would use "cheese wedge" slopes (1x1 slope that's 2 plates high) instead of 1x1 tiles.

The stair case still looks awesome though. :pir-classic:

I never thought of this, but I switched them out and it looks great, thanks! I'll be posting more pictures soon.

I'm using various photos of the real ship and models found on google images for reference. I gave up pretty early on accuracy and have been focusing on just getting the shape and feel of the original. Even at this scale, the build is already over 5000 bricks. To really build an accurate model, the dimensions would have to be approximately doubled in length and width.

Edited by Brick Tamland