Sign in to follow this  
Derfel Cadarn

W.I.P Golden Hind?

Hey, well I had a couple of free nights the last few days, so I decided to start building a ship. I mentioned recently that I wanted to build a moc based on the Goonies' movie, and thanks to some helpful members that gave some info on the type of ship I needed to base it on, I have come up with this so far. I have choosen to loosly base it on the Golden Hind. Ship building is not easy and it seems that when you change something that doesn't look right, it usually means that something else doesn't look right then. So after a few hours of constant changing im at last kind of happy with the shape. All the plates with tooth pieces will eventually be dark green with a second layer of dark red for the stern. This style of ship has caused a few headaches when it comes to the stern, as the cabin tends to slope inwards, upwards and come out at an angle at the rear, which is a lot trickier then the sterns on Nelson era ships. Plus that awkward balcony round the stern is hard to get right. This is far from finished, the masts are merely there to give me an idea of placement and I havn't yet built the platforms for the rigging. This is NOT the ship I will use in the Goonies moc, that will be built all brown. Also I havn't added in any gun ports yet, ive just merely placed the flaps so I know where they will go. This is just a ship to gain a bit of experience, but I will keep this model and fully rig and sail her, as this is my favourite style of ship.

Well, enough chatting, here are the pics. Any help and advice would be great!

5499873743_a2b00f25ec_z.jpg

5500444558_da3043ac11_z.jpg

5500453506_0bd1922a75_z.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, this really looks awesome already, in other words: really intimidating when concidering one's own abilties :pir-classic: I'm really looking forward the finished result though!!

Looks very good so far. I like the shape and the stern is just outstanding, specially those details. But the bow seems a bit weird IMO. But i like the ship overall. I wish you best of luck whit this.

Captain Becker

Edited by Captain Becker

WOW! that is one nice ship coming along! love the colours used :thumbup: Can't wait to see the next update :pir-classic: Good work!

This is already really beautiful. The only thing I would change would be the straight black lines around the bows and the flat beakhead. The stern and the rear three quarters has a beautiful curve, but everything straightens out a little too much up front. If it's a huge headache I wouldn't change it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Looks very good so far. I like the shape and the stern is just outstanding, specially those details. But the bow seems a bit weird IMO. But i like the ship overall. I wish you best of luck whit this.

Captain Becker

Thanks, the shape has been a problem to get reasonably right. I havn't really worked on the bow yet as ive been trying to get the stern right. You say it looks weird, but don't give any reason why? It would be nice to know whats wrong with it so I can get it right.

This is already really beautiful. The only thing I would change would be the straight black lines around the bows and the flat beakhead. The stern and the rear three quarters has a beautiful curve, but everything straightens out a little too much up front. If it's a huge headache I wouldn't change it.

The straight black line has caused me problems. I have been loosley working from this picture:

galeona_Golden_Hind_-_96dpi.jpg

As you can see, the line where the brown meets the white is a lot straighter at the front half of the ship, then curves up towards the stern.

This is a great ship. The overall curve is nice but IMO I would move the gun-port flap thingies (Name please :pir-blush: ) up 1 plate.

Yes I agree, although I have to put the middle rigging platform in above the gunports, so it might look a little different with that on.

Looks quite good already :thumbup: I like the colourscheme and techniques you're using.

The shape could use some work though. I don't know exactly how to make it right, but I would try to make it more like this:

galjoen.png

At least make the poop deck/stern cabin higher and more curved upwards.

And perhaps you could also make a sort of extra cabin on top of it, like on the picture you showed.

Hop that helps. Good luck. I expect great things of this WIP :pir-classic:

Looks quite good already :thumbup: I like the colourscheme and techniques you're using.

The shape could use some work though. I don't know exactly how to make it right, but I would try to make it more like this:

galjoen.png

At least make the poop deck/stern cabin higher and more curved upwards.

And perhaps you could also make a sort of extra cabin on top of it, like on the picture you showed.

Hop that helps. Good luck. I expect great things of this WIP :pir-classic:

Thanks, don't worry, I have already planned to make the higher cabin on the stern like the one in the pic. I was going to decorate the upper part with dark red tooth plates which will tone in with the stripe on the bow of the ship. Hopefully the upper part will complete the higher shape of the stern and make it look like the picture you did. I hope to make a few of these ships with different colours, as tooth plates are quite easy to get hold of. I will probably do the next ship in standard blue and red. Unforntunatly they don't do normal green tooth plates which I wanted to use for this one.

I'll post a next update when ive completed the decks.

Im not in home at the moment, im in my birthtown seeing my grandmother, im writing this on hotels computer so i cant see the picture very well at all. its too dark to see any details, but what i remember, the hull is sloped first when it goes ahead to the stern, and the suddenly it chainges straight up.

I cant explain it excatly, but i hope you get the idea. I get back to this when i get back home in Tuesday.

Captain Becker

I found a blog using google image search that has some (accurate?) plans for the Golden Hind. The first image is small, but the others are large and quite detailed.

They're in German but they're pretty easy to figure out.

http://planurinave.blogspot.com/2009/04/golden-hind-1575.html

It even has hull lines! I'm definitely building my next ship from diagrams like these :pir_laugh2:

Hope this helps.

The straight black line has caused me problems. I have been loosley working from this picture:

3mm rigid hoses could possibly be used for your black lines.

Do you think using tiles and plates with studs facing out the sides would give you better detail and finer lines?

ZCerberus has studs facing out in his Phantom, and I think it looks really nice.

As already mentioned, I would have more of a curved look for your white stripe.

For the stern above the captain's cabin, I would continue the narrowing of the stern as its height increases. Similar to the Half Moon replica in this pic:

halfmoonfront.jpg

If you're interested, I had created a quick little French Merchant vessel a while ago that is loosely based on the Half Moon. It's not nearly as well done or accurate as this vessel, but you may get ideas from it. :blush:

The vessel you have so far looks great. I look forward to more updates and the completion of this vessel. :pir-classic:

I found a blog using google image search that has some (accurate?) plans for the Golden Hind. The first image is small, but the others are large and quite detailed.

They're in German but they're pretty easy to figure out.

http://planurinave.blogspot.com/2009/04/golden-hind-1575.html

It even has hull lines! I'm definitely building my next ship from diagrams like these :pir_laugh2:

Hope this helps.

Thanks, this is a great help, expecially for the interior.

3mm rigid hoses could possibly be used for your black lines.

Do you think using tiles and plates with studs facing out the sides would give you better detail and finer lines?

ZCerberus has studs facing out in his Phantom, and I think it looks really nice.

As already mentioned, I would have more of a curved look for your white stripe.

For the stern above the captain's cabin, I would continue the narrowing of the stern as its height increases. Similar to the Half Moon replica in this pic:

halfmoonfront.jpg

If you're interested, I had created a quick little French Merchant vessel a while ago that is loosely based on the Half Moon. It's not nearly as well done or accurate as this vessel, but you may get ideas from it. :blush:

The vessel you have so far looks great. I look forward to more updates and the completion of this vessel. :pir-classic:

I originally tryed making it using the tiles facing out technique, but it caused other head aches, so I went with the CGH technique. The ship is roughly based on the Golden Hind but I dont intend it to be the Golden Hind as I don't want the restrictions that gives me. This will be a English Galleon with its own name and one of many I hope to build. The Half Moon is another interesting ship and I checked out you're pictures to see how you did the stern which looks pretty good! These are my favourite type of ship and its a shame no one ever wants to build them. I think they are in some ways more challenging then the Nelson era ships that everyone builds on here.

Thanks for you're helpfull comments and feedback everyone.

Looking good! Can't wait to see this finished, it will be intresting how you do masts on a sloping up back, that is, if you are planning to put a mast on the poop deck. Are they doors onto the balcony at the back? If so, why are they angled? Love the whips as decorations by the way, looks really cool and realistic.

Edited by Scorpiox

Derfel this ship looks amazing like every other creation you make! I love the goonies movie and I think its awsome that you basing a whole moc project on the cave scene... I'm really looking forward to following this project of yours! Once again I love that ship the design look is flawless so far! Keep up with the great work man...

Yumm, I love the typical Galleon feel you're giving her, especially the stern! The zero tumblehome there isn't realistic, but it's a very interesting solution I haven't thought of. I recently bought a book "Spanish Galleon 1530-1690" in Portsmouth historic dockyard a few weeks ago, it might be quite helpful for what you're doing here (I've always wanted to build a Galleon too :pir_laugh2: ).

Actually I think the high stern + poop Admiral Croissant suggested are a tad too much. But yours are a little low indeed at the moment.

As a side-note: The Golden Hinde of Sir Francis Drake looked fundamentally different, with a completely different colourscheme, a higher bowcastle and less elegant lines. :pir-tongue:

Yumm, I love the typical Galleon feel you're giving her, especially the stern! The zero tumblehome there isn't realistic, but it's a very interesting solution I haven't thought of. I recently bought a book "Spanish Galleon 1530-1690" in Portsmouth historic dockyard a few weeks ago, it might be quite helpful for what you're doing here (I've always wanted to build a Galleon too :pir_laugh2: ).

Actually I think the high stern + poop Admiral Croissant suggested are a tad too much. But yours are a little low indeed at the moment.

As a side-note: The Golden Hinde of Sir Francis Drake looked fundamentally different, with a completely different colourscheme, a higher bowcastle and less elegant lines. :pir-tongue:

Thanks, yes there does seem to be a fine line when it comes to building the top of the stern straight before it looks odd. I have thought about curving the top of the stern inwards, but its a smaller space and its a lot harder to hide the technique used. I really wish these ships had cabin/sterns like the ships you and everyone else builds as the constant inward sloping gives very few options on what works. I think there are ways round it. CGH and Bonapartes ship had a nice stern but they choose to not slope the back of the stern cabin. I think I can just just get away with building the white parts straight as I will go as high as I can untill it starts looking odd from different angles. Still, ive never been a shipbuilder, but Im going to build a lot of these and hopefully come up with a better solution on later models.

I'm happy you've moved to shipbuilding and very much looking forward to your future ship MOCs. Hoping you can bring a revolution in shipbuilding just like you did with your historical buildings. And it's nice to see you go for these older ships (not the Napoleonic area ones) because not many have done so till now. I'll be a frequent visitor of this thread :pir-sweet:

Ok, here's an update. Firstly, I renamed her 'Seren' The Princess Ceinwyn (seren means 'the star' and ceinwyn is pronounced kay-win). So, Ive stripped this ship down to the basics as I need a model that I can build lots of very easily and quickly, as this will be one of 10 used for a large moc going on display for a month at Charlestown UK, more details on that as I get them. So Ive now settled on a stern design and its probably not the most accurate, but its the quickest way to build it. The space between the railings at the top of the stern is 8 studs, and it probably should be 6 as I should of sloped the top of the stern. But I havn't, although it still kinda works. I think theres a limit that you can build straight up untill it looks odd, and im up to that limit. The bow needs lots of work and will have a complete makeover so it looks right with the rest of the ship. The masts are not yet in place as they dont go straight up, they have to lean slightly, so ive still got to sort that out. As for rigging, Im lucky enough to have an uncle who builds professional model ships that sell for thousands, so he's going to rig every ship and have his workers create some realistic detailed sails. So thats a bonus as I don't have the patience :pir_laugh2:

Well, heres the updated pics, and would it be possible for any kind admin out there to change the tittle of this thread to 'The Princess Ceinwyn' wip, as its not the Golden Hinde, many thanks.

5524109942_bc010e9188.jpg

5523525825_51a412c60a.jpg

Yes the bow needs a big change, im working on it!

5523543889_a9446fcec7.jpg

I think it looks better than it did before and the low gunports are not so much of a problem. :pir-classic:

I also think the stern should curve up more gradually as it looks a bit strange. :pir-sceptic:

But as you said you are working on it.

Anywho keep up the good work Derfel. :thumbup:

Well, first of alL I really have to admit the stern is looking absolutely marvelous. :pir-wub: It's very realistic in it's slope and also in being so narrow! The "shields" you added on the sides in both dark red and dark green however are not perfectly convincing IMO. Maybe a checker pattern, preferably red-yellow, as that was most common on Spanish galleons, would work better here.

I also am so grateful you have refused to use cheaper reddish brown here. :thumbup: Not only does the old brown look better generally, but it also is the colour of the old prefabs and having two shades of brown looks really weird.

The overall impression is wonderful and I am very much in love with the narrow, sloped stern of yours! :pir-wub:

Even as a WIP it's easily the best Lego galleon I have seen so far and I don't say that easily.

Amazing for somebody who used to build only landscapes!

I also like your lantern. :pir-wink: Very creative use of the technic joint too!

It looks nice. It certainly improved compared the first update.

I do think that the stern would look better 6 studs wide. In 1670-80 the stern became wider, but then it also became lower.

And I'm also not sure about the window. I believe on most ships it was placed on a higher level than the gunports, as you can also see here.

I believe that Bonaparte's Nuestra Senora also has the sloped masts so perhaps he can help you with that.

And outside of these things I think it's coming along nicely. I like the colourscheme and it has a very nice curve.

Keep it up :thumbup: