Sign in to follow this  
brickmack

Transparent part yellowing?

I've never heard of transparent parts getting yellowed before, but when I looked in my bag of cheese slopes earlier, I noticed that 3 or 4 of the trans-clear ones were darker and somewhat yellowed compared to the others. I've never heard of transparent parts getting discolored like that though, so is this actually a different color that I just didn't know about, or actual yellowing? Bricklink doesn't have any information if it is a separate color, but they have had missing information in the past.

I've never heard of transparent parts getting yellowed before, but when I looked in my bag of cheese slopes earlier, I noticed that 3 or 4 of the trans-clear ones were darker and somewhat yellowed compared to the others. I've never heard of transparent parts getting discolored like that though, so is this actually a different color that I just didn't know about, or actual yellowing? Bricklink doesn't have any information if it is a separate color, but they have had missing information in the past.

I know of no such color, and it's probably just yellowing. I think it's fair to say that any LEGO color is at risk of yellowing, even though it probably isn't common or noticeable with most colors.

If LDD is to be trusted on this, there are two slightly-darker transparent colors that would have existed during the lifespan of the cheese slope: colors 284 and 285. The names are unknown, and they seem slightly darker and purpler than standard transparent. Again, this is assuming LDD is to be trusted-- after all, computer renders can be deceiving, as is obvious when comparing 20 Nature (Milky White) and 40 Transparent (Trans-clear) on LDD. These two mystery colors immediately follow 283 Light Nougat (Bricklink's Light Flesh), a color introduced in 2003 or 2004, so they would have come out around the same time as the cheese slope. However, I highly doubt they were mainstream colors, and for all we know may have been reserved for transparent buckets and similar packaging (they may have even had glitter, since that doesn't show up on LDD for known glitter colors).

Chances are the cheese slopes are just regular transparent, though.

Yes, transparent parts can get discolored (although you're more likely to notice it on clear pieces).

Retrobright works, but with a cautionary tale... it seems to soften the plastic, so let it air dry and leave it for a few days before using it. I tried drying a "retro-brighted" clear macaroni with a tissue and it looked like I dragged sand paper across it.