Jedd the Jedi

[MOC] Millennium Falcon - 4504 mod

The 4504 Millennium Falcon set has long been one of my favourites, and all over Brickshelf and other places on the internet there are such terrific mod works of the model. It always seemed way too complex, even though I wanted to have a go. I've finally done it!

Main modifications

-pushed cockpit back

-larger mandibles

-greebling along the side of the mandibles and on other exterior plates

-hidden trapdoor for smuggled goods

-new quad laser turret system - with turret on the bottom

rimg1596.jpg

rimg1640.jpg

rimg1656.jpg

rimg1643.jpg

Brickshelf gallery

Edited by Jedd the Jedi

Nice work... love the cannons. If I ever build mine I'll have to see what I can MOD.

Looks great. I especially like the work you did on the mandibles. A definite improvement overall.

It's looking pretty good, and I like the mandibles. I can't say the greebling looks good though, it needs to be a bit more subtle, in my opinion.

Looks all right, but IMO there's not really much substantial improvement. Things I would suggest in the direction of more substantial modifications:

- Integrate the mandibles with the ship more - they way they just kind of hang out at the sides looks really weird.

- Rework the area around the freight loading doors- there should be a full trapezoidal board-like structure.

- Correct the angle at which the cockpit protrudes from the quadlaser turret sidewalls.

Also:

- The red coloring you've added looks really random, like there's red bugs crawling over the Falcon. Coordinating the color to to better match the studio model would help.

- The quads, while now to scale with minifigures, are so out of scale with the rest of the ship that they look rather goofy.

- The greebling on the mandibles is rather too colorful for me.

Very nice job on the modifications that you did on this 4504 MF Jedd, this one is definitely a vast improvement over the original version. But I have to agree with fallenangel here, the dark red details are too colorful and becomes a bit of a distraction, though I'm sure this issue is pretty easy to address.

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the comments and input. Fallenangel, that is some invaluable advice that will all be taken into consideration for Phase IV - thing is, the Falcon is such a complex and recognisable ship, that it's really really hard to get right, and I think I'll take my time with it. Thanks once again!

Lovin it!

My main pet peeve would be the red tiles. It looks a little busy dotting them all over the place, the original Falcon only had a hint of it (which I always assumed was an incomplete paintjob removal). Looks like you took on some of the better features of the upcoming set.