Henchmen4Hire

Building the Space Truck

FINAL UPDATE - March 5th - Here is the mostly-completed LDD file of this beast: http://www.mediafire.com/?6baaszt9ux55dyn

The final piece count is about 650, varying with whatever you decide to add (like the seats, wheel, chains). If you remove the arms, you can fit two minifigs comfortably in there! I'm not going to edit this anymore, but feel free to make improvements!

Thanks to KielDaMan for adding this to the LDD Index! Eurobricks is the only forum or website that I've posted the instructions, so it's an exclusive to this site. :)

Something I'd like to point out is that eventually this thing should get stickers. Also, it doesn't have spikes and skulls all over it because this is supposed to be a sneaky smuggling truck, not trying to draw attention to itself :) (although I did add spikes to see how it looks xD )

======

Mar.5th - FINAL FINAL FOR REALZ (haha)

-NEW! Added an engine under the hood and interior to the cab! It's powered by pure evil! I guess that engine powers the lights and communication stuff, the 6 massive engines outside are only for propulsion.

-Front cannons are now realistically possible to build and have been attached with a slightly sturdier connection to the Truck (used two 4081 instead of one 60470)

-Added some very basic inverted slopes and plates to reinforce the underside of the whole Truck

-Fixed the Container a little more, now the lid should only attach with 4 studs, making it much easier to remove

-Added black dishes to the backside of the engines as a final touch (and so you can attach fire)

-Switched two 1x2 Bley plates behind the grill with one 2x2 to add strength to the grill

-The rear-view mirrors are actually fairly adjustable, you can even slide the bley axe-pick in or out to let the mirrors see past the container's engine pieces.

Mar.3rd

-The container's top is now easily removable (in real life)

-Added a handle to the container's rear door, and a tile to keep it from hinging all the way into the container

-Added slopes to the cab's roof cuz I felt like it lol.

-Added rear-view mirrors!

Mar.1st

-Tweaked colors from official prototype.

-The interior of the cab needs to be built, that's up to you.

-Small space under hood to add whatever you want, the bley cylinders and studs there aren't vital.

-Container is kinda weak without the lid on. Connects to flatbed with 2 pins (still working on it)

-Underside needs reinforcement (you can add a bunch of plates and it'll be good, I reckon.)

=================

I intended this to be a community project where everyone can jump in and modify it, but meh, I realize not everyone has the free time to mess with it. So here's what I have so far. It's accurate.

-I took liberties with the underside of the rockets, there's supposed to be something trans neon green under there, the disks are pretty.

-Container will attach to the flatbed with pins

-The 2x2 gray circle on the end of the rockets is supposed to be the spinning part of a 2x2 turntable, I don't know how to separate the piece in LDD though.

-I'll make changes once I build the whole thing, like better guns in front, etc.

-The original prototype: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jamesster/Space-Prototypes/4.bmp

=====

Final Overview:

hjug.jpg

sp3spacetruck1.jpg

Container:

containerm.jpg

Exterior engine close up (colors have changed since this pic):

spacetruckchassis2.jpg

Part of the greeble on the door:

greebr.jpg

Rocket things on the container's side:

greeblespacetruck2.jpg

Small engine under hood:

engine1v.jpg

engine3.jpg

Interior of cab:

cab1.jpg

Edited by DrNightmare

Great stuff 'DrNightmare', I like the Greebles on it, and the whole structure is quite nice as well. The engines are also looking fantastic. :thumbup:

Zank you very much! I have now lost a day of sleep thanks to this and my occasional bouts of OCD. :tongue:

[first post has all updates now]

Edited by DrNightmare

Hello!

I like the real image as it reprsents the model best in my eyes. It's well-designed and fits into the Space Police III line. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

This is looking really good so far, it looks very menacing and detailed and really fits in with the Space Police III theme.

Are you going to include a captured Space Police laser cannon in this, too?

Great work so far.

Hello!

I like the real image as it represents the model best in my eyes. It's well-designed and fits into the Space Police III line. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Wish I could take credit for all of the design, but it was fun remaking this not knowing how it's supposed to be built. I ended up with neat features like extra places to attach signs and rods, more greeble, and the hollow (but still sturdy) cab. I could probably add a missile launcher in there!

This is looking really good so far, it looks very menacing and detailed and really fits in with the Space Police III theme.

Are you going to include a captured Space Police laser cannon in this, too?

Great work so far.

Yesss, I'll make the laser, I might as well, right? :tongue: I have to build the container first though to see what will fit in it.

This is awesome! If the real set was like this, I would've bought 2 copies!

Kudos on reverse-engineering this :thumbup:

I actually like what you did with your back door. Maybe you could use that 4x6 plate with 12 studs and connect it with a 1x6 plate to make it a bit smoother. :wink:

Edited by prateek

Yar har har harrrr!

Added LXF to the first post, so you can all nit pick at my flaws lol.

The truck still needs mirrors on the sides, the ones on the proto are kinda ugly so I'll design some new ones.

Edit: Reinforced door:

connn.jpg

Edited by DrNightmare

Cool beans! :D

I updated the .LXF file just now, so you might want to change the link in the index, sorry about the last minute changes, but they were necessary improvements :)

Edited by DrNightmare

I updated the .LXF file just now, so you might want to change the link in the index, sorry about the last minute changes, but they were necessary improvements :)

No worries, LXF file already updated in the Index.

Sweeeeet :)

Also, I just noticed that the rear-view mirrors are actually fairly adjustable because of how I built them. You can even slide the bley axe-pick in or out to let the mirrors see past the container's engine pieces. (the engines block their view if they're slid in all the way, they're fine without the container)

Edited by DrNightmare

Added the FINAL FINAL FOR REALZ update to the first post! :laugh:

-I couldn't help myself, I had to add a little engine and interior to the model, the LXF on the first post has been updated

Edited by DrNightmare

So happy, I just got Smash N Grab and Space Truck Getaway for $23 total, going to be fun to see what features those sets have and if I can incorporate them into this giant rig.

And the parts start coming in...

st1.jpg

I like the idea of the mechanic being Russian lol I've been reading too much of Rocket Red in the Generation Lost series

Edited by DrNightmare

I used a trans neon green round brick in the engine (and a few other places) to give it a subtle Blacktron vibe.

st2m.jpg

Edited by DrNightmare

Got one of the cannons assembled, I may switch the black lance (running down the middle of the cylinders) to Bley

st3v.jpg

I'm not updating the LDD file anymore, but I'll still show any tweaks here.

-It was pretty easy to add spikes to the front! Just use clips and those fang-like swords.

-Changed black lances in cannons to bley

-Changed trans red studs to trans red tiles, and trans studs to trans slopes.

spikesgrill.jpg

Edited by DrNightmare

Dude! Awesome space truck! I love all the greebles! It really looks like a cool, suped-up mean machine! And great comics too! Really well done! :thumbup:

Thanks for the LXF! :sweet: I knew after these prototypes popped up people would start building them. You plan on making any more of the SPII protos?

Dude! Awesome space truck! I love all the greebles! It really looks like a cool, suped-up mean machine! And great comics too! Really well done! :thumbup:

Thanksssss, your praissse feeeddssss meeee :tongue:

Yet another reason to love SP3, all the greebling; some of the vehicles look like they're from Mad Max in space!

Thanks for the LXF! :sweet: I knew after these prototypes popped up people would start building them. You plan on making any more of the SPII protos?

Feel free to tweak the model all you want, add more guns, make it pink!

There's nothing else on this page that I want to build, are there more proto pics anywhere? Gives me something to build while I wait for parts! :wacko: