You see that there's no mention of the ugly rear end :tongue:

I finally broke down and purchased 2 from S@H and ate some shipping fees. I went to 5 different Toys R Us and they didn't have it.

I am waiting for FedEx to arrive with mine tomorrow. I'll keep a box of bandages handy. :classic:

I can't believe I am actually very tempted to buy this as my first official Technic set. :blush:

It's a fantastic set. Even when you are not a Technic-fan you really will enjoy the building process and the final result.

It seems to be a good set. I'm only on book one. Only able to build a little per day, but seems fun. The switch to operate the door seems to stick when switching gears is my only complaint so far.

Please explain!

It is a great set for parts and I would recommend to anyone to buy it. The only thing that prevents me personally calling it a supercar is the stupid functions, although you do get enough gears and stuff in the set to change them into something better like motorising the rear wheels.

I think "muscle car" would have been a more appropiate name for this set, although probably not as appealing to the kiddies. Maybe if it was "pimped out gangster car with crazy motorised doors" :grin:

What puzzles me is that the main function of a supercar is to go fast, not to have a motorised hood. This is the first supercar that comes with a motor, you would think it would be a no brainer for one of the gearbox functions be used to actually make the car go. Still it's a neat set and motorising the rear wheels is the only mod needed.

Like Blakbird I also play guitar. I'm writing and recording an album with my band mate whist having a full time job so my building time is now limited :cry_sad: but I do have some mods planned for this set. I want to give it a proper transmission and AWD and use the motor to power the wheels through the gearbox. I also wish to retain some if not all the the orginal unimportant functions which will hopefully be operated by two added driving rings in front of the bulkhead, controlled by small levers/switches in the dash board. Oh and I must add a pole reverser switch!

What puzzles me is that the main function of a supercar is to go fast, not to have a motorised hood. This is the first supercar that comes with a motor, you would think it would be a no brainer for one of the gearbox functions be used to actually make the car go. Still it's a neat set and motorising the rear wheels is the only mod needed.

I think motorising the rear wheels without remote controlling is not a good idea. And I guess adding remote controllers to the set would increase its price even more. So for me, using the motor to these functions seems to be logical. Those who has remote controllers can try these modifications on their own.

I really don't think that the power functions work well with motorizing the drive train in larger scale cars like this, the car is just going to be slow. There is a reason why there is only one type of driven vehicle that uses these PF motors right now. And while some people think that the new functions are stupid, these types of functions are a first for a Lego Technic set. I just wish that inside of the car were a little nicer looking.

Like a lot of you, I allso dont like the back-end of 8070 Supercar, so I MOD-ed it a littlebit. Not the best MOD, but it's a start.

First, I put in a small battery box (6 x AAA is totaly enough for runing one M-motor).

8070_under.jpg

Then, I modified back-end, with some panels.

8070_back.jpg

And in the end, I made some cosmetic changes, like change red 3x1 liftarm in the front, for the black one, and some other small changes.

8070_mod_front.jpg

I realy like this set, and I had a lot of fun, when I was building it.

Edited by Povratnik

jhawk1977 wrote "This is the

build of the Lego Technic Kit #8070. This is the alternate model, the Roadster. This kit looks great when completed and has some very cool power functions." It shows a fast-forward build, then the folding roof mechanism and the "suicide" doors.

[media]

On his Brickshelf gallery, Cypr-21 posted his modification to the 8070's ugly "Baboon butt" :tongue: . It is similar to Povratnik's mod shown above, but without the super-low rear panels. Cypr-21 used a 8869 / bb339c01 Power Functions Control Switch/ Pole Reverser Switch to avoid pushing the battery box's tiny orange switch to change motor direction:

dscf6844.jpgbaboon-pink-butt1.jpgdscf6845.jpgdscf6846.jpg

Edited by DLuders

That looks so much better.

I'm hoping someone would remove the motor altogether and have the functions manually operated. I think it's way more playable that way.

Ha-HA!

I got the steering wheel to work. First, a little manipulation to the dashboard. Then, a 5L axle through the dash and into the steering wheel. On the other end, a U-joint (one of the old, longer ones. Is it 3L or 4L?) then an 8L axle, and another U-joint. Finally, I replaced the 4L axle holding the little 2x bevel gear and the bigger 2x bevel gear with a 6L axle, and that connects to the U-joint.

This now means the HOG steering works AND the steering wheel works. I'm really quite pleased how easy it was. I just haven't tested durability yet. I only had two extra U-joints, but I feel like it would be stronger with a third one, but we'll see.

EDIT: I've just realized that I'm an idiot. haha I put the steering wheel to the wrong gear so the wheels turn the opposite direction as the steering wheel. Not a pleasant experience, I assume. I'll fix that tomorrow.

Edited by Nubsy

EDIT: I've just realized that I'm an idiot. haha I put the steering wheel to the wrong gear so the wheels turn the opposite direction as the steering wheel. Not a pleasant experience, I assume. I'll fix that tomorrow.

I guess if you drive upside down like in australia it works...

Hi !

To begin, I was surprised to learn you saw my galery.

Work you saw was WIP, and I go on to work on supercar.

Today, I input other modifications, that you will can see on my Brickshelf galery.

dscf6861.jpg

And I want change the grey rims by black rims and put hubcaps.

I forgot to say the supercar is full manual now.

Edited by Cypr-21

On his Brickshelf gallery, Doc27/ cbriste27 posted 14 BIG pictures of the "8070 with PFS, XL for power driving and M for steering with original functions." His

shows that it retains the 8070's original opening doors, hood/bonnet, and rear spoiler but it can DRIVE and STEER via Power Functions System (PFS) infrared signals. The original V8 motor has been retained also: :thumbup:

mod-8070-doc27-4.jpg

i own now a 8070 and it looks good, only the Backside is a little bit ugly. so i have modified the backside. The Rearwing and the M-Motor i have removed.

104_8243.jpg_thumb.jpg 104_8245.jpg_thumb.jpg

more pics here (when the folder is online)

Edited by efferman

Very nice ! :thumbup:

Here are better YouTube videos

and
(by PCTS99) that shows a "Lego 8070 Supercar with extra PF motors to steer and drive detail view": :thumbup:

Edited by DLuders

i own now a 8070 and it looks good, only the Backside is a little bit ugly. so i have modified the backside. The Rearwing and the M-Motor i have removed.

Very nice. I just finished building mine an hour ago. Haven't decided what changes to make yet. :classic:

Thanks Guys, today i have modified the front of the 8070

Before

104_8248.jpg_thumb.jpg

after adding some panels, lowering the hood, moving the headlights backward and fixing the angle of the V8 sidepanel

104_8249.jpg_thumb.jpg

sorry for not more pics at this time, the batterys of the cam are empty

edit: more pics

Backward moved Headlights

104_8254.jpg_thumb.jpg

V8 sidepanel

104_8255.jpg_thumb.jpg

a light angle for the Enginehood

104_8257.jpg_thumb.jpg

moving the functions

104_8258.jpg_thumb.jpg

Sideview

104_8252.jpg_thumb.jpg

i hope you like it

Edited by efferman

Received my 2 sets today, one for parts and the other for the model. I love the packaged cardboard instructions since I can keep a set unopened and undamaged :cry_happy:

Here's my modified version to rectify the ugly rear end.

I also removed the rear wing and demotorized the set. Took a bit of figuring out to get the manual functions and it's not pretty, but it works...

img1954u.jpg

img1957yd.jpg

img1948i.jpg

it seems that everyone did not like the rear bumper of the original 8070 :laugh:

Why so much gears for the PF Replacement?

i have only used two universal joints and it works too

104_8258.jpg_thumb.jpg

rofl

i had written the three letter version of backside and the forum replaced it with "megablocks" :laugh: thats a really creative art of censoring :thumbup:

Edited by efferman

@ Efferman: I like your modifications to customize the look of the 8070 set. The 8070's buttocks/booty/derriere/Hinterteile :laugh: looks a lot better now! Blakbird had mentioned that the 8070 looks like a Dodge Viper -- look at the pictures here. If you are still wanting to customize your 8070 further, maybe you could possibly make the Dodge's cross-shaped radiator grille in the center of the car's nose.