my guess is that "well" is such a popular word used on these forums that there are too many results to be displayed. I tried searching for "and" and "the" and the same message came up. Have to let a mod clear this up for sure but i reckon if you search using more specific terms you will get a match. Though i appreciate that will be quite hard for well :tongue:

my guess is that "well" is such a popular word used on these forums that there are too many results to be displayed. I tried searching for "and" and "the" and the same message came up. Have to let a mod clear this up for sure but i reckon if you search using more specific terms you will get a match. Though i appreciate that will be quite hard for well :tongue:

The prize goes to squiz! :sweet:

I understand why you'd see it as a problem, but it this case it's just bad luck (and another reason why English is a flawed language) that what you want is spelled the same way as a common filling word. This site has a simple word based search system; it makes no effort to understand the context. Thus "Well I think M%g# Bl&ks sux" is taken to be the same word as "My pussy is down a well". Thus there are simply too many returns for "well" so it isn't indexed.

Aside from implementing a tagging based system there is no easy solution to this.

If you're looking for MOCs, it always helps to look in the MOC index first. There's an index for mostly everything on EB, I find they are extremely helpful.

Thus "Well I think M%g# Bl&ks sux" is taken to be the same word as "My pussy is down a well". Thus there are simply too many returns for "well" so it isn't indexed.

You're the master of examples... *huh*:grin:

There's an index for mostly everything on EB, I find they are extremely helpful.

Most of the time those work better indeed. Especially reviews are extremely well indexed.

The prize goes to squiz! :sweet:

I understand why you'd see it as a problem, but it this case it's just bad luck (and another reason why English is a flawed language) that what you want is spelled the same way as a common filling word. This site has a simple word based search system; it makes no effort to understand the context. Thus "Well I think M%g# Bl&ks sux" is taken to be the same word as "My pussy is down a well". Thus there are simply too many returns for "well" so it isn't indexed.

Aside from implementing a tagging based system there is no easy solution to this.

Thanks. :classic:

If you're looking for MOCs, it always helps to look in the MOC index first. There's an index for mostly everything on EB, I find they are extremely helpful.

That's how I've found the MOC.

I think the thread should be locked now.

I was just trying to search for the words color conversion, and the search only included conversion. So I tried with just the word color, and I got this message:

The following search terms are not allowed and were removed from your query: color

Why is the word color not allowed? What I'm trying to find is a conversion between the colors Bricklink's inventories use, and what LDD shows when you choose a color. For instance, BL uses light tan and dark tan to describe the bricks of the structure in 7306 Golden Staff Guardians, but LDD does not list those colors.

Thanks!

Peter

I done mean to sound rude but the proper spelling is colour rather than color. But i dont really understand what you searching for, please elaborate.

Thanks, CB

Edited by crabboy329

This is a strange issue indeed, but it seems to be related to UK English spelling: the word colour is ok, while the American English color is not...

You can work around it by searching "color" (with quotation marks). It works just fine for me. Of course, you better use the Advanced Search and limit the range, or you'll get a flood of results :wink:

I done mean to sound rude but the proper spelling is colour rather than color. But i dont really understand what you searching for, please elaborate.

Thanks, CB

Not if you're American :wink:

Thanks, CB

Proper depends on where you are. Don't assume everyone does things the way you do.

Ah yes, but it is just America that seems to spell it that way and maybe this member has had the fortune not to encounter this strange method of spelling as yet :wink:

Please no arguments on spelling differences between English and American, that is historical and we will leave it alone. Here is an informative little factoid for you to look at.

This is an interesting puzzle because I've had to search color (both spellings) several times. What would be ideal is if you could search it with one spelling and it would find results for both spellings. But I suppose the board software probably isn't advanced enough to handle that.

Also, love the link, Peppermint_M! I would have guessed that the American spellings reflected Spanish influence (since the Spanish were some of the first colonizers in the Western Hemisphere, and Spanish almost never uses more than one vowel together), but it's interesting to note that it's been an issue of dispute not only between countries but also within countries for such a long stretch of history.

I used to use the search funtion, but I never got results I wanted. What would come up would not be releated to what I wanted. For example, I searched "2011 City Sets", but what I came up for my first 3 answers were "Calling power functions experts", "Star Wars Lego Photography", and "18th century British Army". None of these relate to what I searched. Is there a reason for this?

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I tried searching and got unrelated results.

Edited by Mrlegoninja

I used to use the search funtion, but I never got results I wanted. What would come up would not be releated to what I wanted. For example, I searched "2011 City Sets", but what I came up for my first 3 answers were "Calling power functions experts", "Star Wars Lego Photography", and "18th century British Army". None of these relate to what I searched. Is there a reason for this?

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I tried searching and got unrelated results.

Probably because those words you searched for are mentioned in those topics. Try using the advanced search and checking the 'Search titles only' box.

I don't think the EB search function works so well, personally, so I use google:

Google Search: "2011 City Sets" site:eurobricks.com

The first hit is this thread.

I totally agree with fred67, the search is very hit and miss. But what really annoys me about it is the 'Flood Control', please wait 20 seconds. I can understand the site doesn't need constant random searches, but only members can search anyway, so why does 'Flood Control' need to apply to everyone? Of course I could understand it if it just applied to members with less than 10 posts, but once someone has 10 posts I think they can be trusted not to 'abuse' the search system.

Probably because those words you searched for are mentioned in those topics. Try using the advanced search and checking the 'Search titles only' box.

Indeed, that's what it (probably) does.

I only use advanced search. An additional benefit - besides being able to search just titles (which is usually what you want anyway) - is that you can specify the subforums to search in by holding down the ctrl-key and selecting the forums to search or can even search by author.

heyho!

As a news scout for the pirates blog I have to use the search function regularly. Since the board-update, the search function randomly gives out no search results where there should some, claiming that there are "no results" - for example: I searched for myself a few minutes ago and the search gave no results for Horry - now, everything works as it should - what am I doing wrong?

I tried this on three different computers, always firefox and windows 7 and one google chrome test - everything with the same results - it feels a little bit like it's dependent on some kind of time interval instead of a system problem.

I personally always use the advanced search, and by doing that I have always gotten good reliable results.

Are you using the advanced search or just the regular search box?

Actually I'm pretty sure that this happened with the normal search function - I'll try to keep an eye on the search functions I use. If nothing happens, I'll be happy as hell!

I wanted to search for issues with the NXT-G software in Mac. I knew I had seen a topic about it. EB.com search does not let me use NXT and MAC as search items since they are only 3 letters... both NXT and MAC have a quite distinct meaning, so that is not very wise of course (although after some trouble I found what I needed).

As mentioned in the Eurobricks FAQ, if the built-in search engine doesn't work for you the best alternative is to use an external search engine (eg. Google) and add the 'site:eurobricks.com' search parameter in the search box. That will definitely allow you to use three-letter search items.

that is how I do it indeed and it works fine, but maybe the board can also just allow certain terms like NXT!

I'm not sure if it's feasible to allow only a few specific three-letter searches. And allowing all three-letter searches would create excessive load on our server. It might also be possible to add a Google custom search box to the board, if this is something many members have a problem with.

Hello...I have a question I search it and everything, maybe I'm not getting it or something.

I'm new ..and I am trying to began making my own custom minifigure. I have done my torso, which I think is the easiest part but when it comes to the face I don't know exactly what to do ..can an some of my fellow members teach me your ways of how to design my own Lego face on a face template .....thanks