Sign in to follow this  
John475

removed

That idea would be feasible if there were enough users interested but there wouldn't be much point doing it unless there at least a dozen users who regularly maintained their thread - otherwise they might as well post it in the main forum. I suppose it would be like Live Journal for pirates!

What does everyone else think of Mr Tole's idea? Would anyone find this useful to them (including you Mr Tole)?

hm... first of all, there's the question of sub forums... EB's structure has already become complicated, if you're asking me. Sometimes, when people reform old structures, there's a danger of doing too much and you loose the originel soul in the process...

hm... first of all, there's the question of sub forums... EB's structure has already become complicated, if you're asking me. Sometimes, when people reform old structures, there's a danger of doing too much and you loose the originel soul in the process...

Yes, that's what I'm concerned! There are a lot more sub-forums in the Pirate Forum than what the average user sees here. Part of the purpose of the Pirate Ranking System is to gradually introduce new forums to users without being overwealmed. So far everyone should be two sub-forums Governor Broadside's Administration Building and The Great Library of Honduras. The Great Library also has several sub-forums but as its a library/archive that is not central to the main forum it doesn't really matter if anyone uses it or not - the information will be there for anyone who is interested.

This idea would be interesting to look at but for those such as me who have not enough Lego to build with then this idea is not of any use. But if I had enough Lego then I would probably have interest in such a thing, but sadly I do not at this present time.

A piratey character profile? So this profile links a user's personal thread to this game? ( Mind you I don't think having personal indexes of a users MOCs is a bad idea)

But you'll definitely need to explain how a Real Time Strategy would work on a message board! I think you mean a Turn Based Strategy. So do that in your other thread.

Count Sneffy, have we lost the original soul of Eurobricks by doing what we've already done to the Pirate forum?

right now, phes, i'm trying to grasp all the new changes of the pirate forum, still trying to find my way in it... most of all it'll depend on the activity of the community i guess

For instance, it's great to have a sub for ebay findings, but if other people from around the world don't contribute in terms of new ebay auctions from their part of the world and their experience as a buyer/seller for a specific set on an almost weekly basis, then it 'll be practically useless... but if they do, then chances are that it'll be too much and the user will just simply lose himself in it... Rather sooner than later, he'll just drop the whole thing, not being able to get the correct information... a library is not a question of collecting as much information as humanly possible, a library is all about allowing people to only retrieve the information they need as fast as possible...

I also think it needs an introduction, because right now, it's giving a false picture of things. If the australian public is willing to pay 20 USD for a set, then that doesn't mean a belgian should be thinking about a max bid of 18 euro or so... different ebay markets, different supply-demand, different price. So a belgian should be looking for a belgian bid in the library, not australian bids, but if the community doesn't add these, then the library is quite useless for him...

You're absolutely correct Count Sneffy, I'm well aware of this. The feature hasn't been opened yet so nobody but me can add anything because I'm trying to get it set up just right. However, if nobody else contributes then I'll have a nice record of local prices all to myself!

The bottom line: This is an experiment and if it doesn't work then too bad! Feature will be removed in favour of something else.

a library is not a question of collecting as much information as humanly possible, a library is all about allowing people to only retrieve the information they need as fast as possible...

You're taking things too seriously dear Count Sneffy. I only called it a library because it sounds more interesting than calling the forum "Set information". Its all hype and sensationalism to make it sound more interesting than it really is. I think another word for it is called "advertising".

a library is not a question of collecting as much information as humanly possible, a library is all about allowing people to only retrieve the information they need as fast as possible...

You're taking things too seriously dear Count Sneffy. I only called it a library because it sounds more interesting than calling the forum "Set information". Its all hype and sensationalism to make it sound more interesting than it really is. I think another word for it is called "advertising".

well i think it would be very interesting to have something like this for pirates; many people do wonder what price to pay, what bid to do, and it would be extremely interesting to analyse all this information, just to see what sets are available for what price, what the price evolution is, ...

oh well, we'll see

I have some ideas how to encourage others to contribute, but if worse comes to worse I'll do it all myself!

Make a new sub-forum,

everyone makes a topic named [memberS NAME]'s Ship.

They can post their own pirate collection, dream sets, fav. pirate picture, ...

Perhaps we could do something similar but simpler - let's just start a topic called "Pictures of our Pirate collections" - something like the "Which Pirate Lego sets do you have" thread, but instead of giving set numbers and so on, everyone should make pictures of his Pirate Lego - MOCs, built sets, loose Pirate minifigs and accessories, boxes - anything Pirate-related that you have.

To follow Mr Dreamweb's idea there are no special requirements. Any user can create a thread like and whoever wants to contribute can do so freely.

Mr Tole's idea however... Its given me an idea... A section called Pirate Town (or whatever name might suit it better) and in this section each user who wish partake has their own quarters. So in other words they get there own sub-forum which they can use to store threads they've created. As the user accumulated more threads the bigger their quarters would become and this would be reflected in the thread's title.

For example. Mr Tole has starts with 3 threads he's created so his quarter is called Tole's Hovel (or whatever) and as it grows the title gets upgraded Tole's Hideout and so on...

However, there would be limitations.

For example a user would have to Rank so high in the Pirate Ranking System before they got their own quarter because they would need to demonstrate they're going to make use of this space. There's no point creating one for someone with a passing interest.

A user wouldn't have the ability to create threads within their quarters, rather they would create them in the main Pirate Forum and later moved to the quarters when that thread was no longer active. This would prevent the creation of threads that never got any responses.

Each owner would be responsbile for attracting users to their quarter without spamming on Eurobricks.

Finally... There would have to be enough users interested in this before it could even be considered...

No, it would be like having a little area where you could put all your best threads.

I'm not sure at this stage as it needs much planning. It depends what everyone wants, or if anyone besides Mr Tole wants something like this at all.