Bernie56

Trying to build more

One thing, in my brief time here, I have enjoyed and appreciated a lot is the creativity of folks as reflected in their creations and displays.

I have 4 trains now - just got the Hogwart's train (4841) yesterday at the LEGO store in Disney Downtown (Orlando). It cost me $80. My next task is to power it (PF).

While there, I also did buy a bit of odds and ends of basic pieces. The selections (color as well as type) however were very limited and got me wondering. There has to be a better way to buy basic and special pieces. Clearly, this LEGO store did not have that. So, to make new stuff from all the different creations I have seen here, you must have bought the pieces somewhere with a better selection. Where would that be?

On a side, I got the passenger train (7938) at Amazon for $190 and it was priced at $130 at the LEGO store. Quite the difference and boy do I look like a fool for making that (impulsive) buy? Save you an answer - yes, I look and feel the perfect fool.

Edited by Bernie56

As mentioned a lot of times.... www.bricklink.com

It is generally much cheaper than getting the equivalent parts via Ebay.

Also - if you make up some of the models via Lego Digital Designer, Superkalle wrote a nice piece of s/w which enables you to generate a wish list of pieces, which can be uploaded as a 'wanted list' to Bricklink. Once there you can also search for shops which contain the highest number of parts... whilst it the selected shop may not have the cheapest bricks around, often it is cheaper than buying in three or four shops and getting different shipping costs.

I recently did an order to complete some carriages (4961) which were missing some red seats, or black 1x8 tiles.

Once you get addicted to Bricklink... it is terrible for the credit card.

Occasionally it is cheaper to buy a set for somethings. E.g. I picked up Diagon Alley because of the high number of specific window pieces I wanted, and other elements. It worked out the same as buying a couple of BL orders, but I also got extra pieces ;-) SImilarly im working on a red train concept, and found it cheaper to head out to get 1/2 price firefighting models than orders via BL (but only just).

As mentioned a lot of times.... www.bricklink.com

It is generally much cheaper than getting the equivalent parts via Ebay.

Also - if you make up some of the models via Lego Digital Designer, Superkalle wrote a nice piece of s/w which enables you to generate a wish list of pieces, which can be uploaded as a 'wanted list' to Bricklink. Once there you can also search for shops which contain the highest number of parts... whilst it the selected shop may not have the cheapest bricks around, often it is cheaper than buying in three or four shops and getting different shipping costs.

I recently did an order to complete some carriages (4961) which were missing some red seats, or black 1x8 tiles.

Once you get addicted to Bricklink... it is terrible for the credit card.

Occasionally it is cheaper to buy a set for somethings. E.g. I picked up Diagon Alley because of the high number of specific window pieces I wanted, and other elements. It worked out the same as buying a couple of BL orders, but I also got extra pieces ;-) SImilarly im working on a red train concept, and found it cheaper to head out to get 1/2 price firefighting models than orders via BL (but only just).

Thank you so much. Very informative and yes, any path I take is going to be hard on those plastic cards.

I'm a big fan of Bricklink but I like to combine it with my local LUG (LEGO User Group). Several members of my LUG (QueLUG!) have their Bricklink stores. A week or so before a club meeting, I'll go through their stores. Payment and pick-up is at the meeting, so I save quite a bit on shipping and I can usually get around their minimum order when I only need a few items. I'll also stop by and make a local pick-up when the Bricklink store is close to somewhere I have to go anyway for an unrelated reason (work, family, etc.). Most AFOLs run their Bricklink stores from their homes so it is easier in the evening or on week-ends. You have to watch those shipping costs because they really add up in the end.

I'm a big fan of Bricklink but I like to combine it with my local LUG (LEGO User Group). Several members of my LUG (QueLUG!) have their Bricklink stores. A week or so before a club meeting, I'll go through their stores. Payment and pick-up is at the meeting, so I save quite a bit on shipping and I can usually get around their minimum order when I only need a few items. I'll also stop by and make a local pick-up when the Bricklink store is close to somewhere I have to go anyway for an unrelated reason (work, family, etc.). Most AFOLs run their Bricklink stores from their homes so it is easier in the evening or on week-ends. You have to watch those shipping costs because they really add up in the end.

Thank you. Lot of ways to get those parts. Looks like LEGO.com also sells individual pieces at 8 cents (US I believe) a piece.

I have 4 trains now - just got the Hogwart's train (4841) yesterday at the LEGO store in Disney Downtown (Orlando). It cost me $80. My next task is to power it (PF).

While there, I also did buy a bit of odds and ends of basic pieces. The selections (color as well as type) however were very limited and got me wondering. There has to be a better way to buy basic and special pieces. Clearly, this LEGO store did not have that. So, to make new stuff from all the different creations I have seen here, you must have bought the pieces somewhere with a better selection. Where would that be?

The Orlando store is currently in the middle of a remodel and PAB selection is reduced.

The Orlando store is currently in the middle of a remodel and PAB selection is reduced.

Yes, they are in a tent (that was still swarming with people; 6-8 checkout clerks busy). Was just there this past Thursday.

I have decided to add a bogie or 2 to the Passenger Train (7938) by listing components from Book 3 of the instruction set. I found most of the parts on LEGO.com but a few escape me. So, I found, train buffer, chrome axles and technic (2x4 with 3 holes) from a seller on Bricklink.com. Transaction done and paid for by Paypal. Cool

But, this part is like looking for in a haystack - see the image below. If anyone knows where I can find this one. I need 6 to make 2 bogies. Thanks

post-16120-129900309434.jpg

Edited by Bernie56

But, this part is like looking for in a haystack - see the image below. If anyone knows where I can find this one. I need 6 to make 2 bogies. Thanks

Apart from Bricklink.... Over 186 in one shop in Germany or another in USA... Where are you based?

Dont forget you can always check the inventory of a model.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=7938-1

What are some good "train bases" to buy for custom trains? This would be for RC trains, not sure if that plays any role in the decision. :classic:

What are some good "train bases" to buy for custom trains? This would be for RC trains, not sure if that plays any role in the decision. :classic:

This what I am doing currently

Thia is what I am doing currently - see pic below - sorry I cannot attach a pic (12KB) :cry_sad:

Where are you based?

Dont forget you can always check the inventory of a model.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=7938-1

I am in FL. And checking inventory of a given model - superb. Thanks a bunch. I learn something new everyday here.

Still cannot attach a simple JPG file (12.1KB) when the message says "Used 55.3K of your 100K global upload quota (Max. single file size: 44.7K)". Obviously, another lesson to learn :classic:

Still cannot attach a simple JPG file (12.1KB) when the message says "Used 55.3K of your 100K global upload quota (Max. single file size: 44.7K)". Obviously, another lesson to learn :classic:

Read the tutorials. Put simply EB does not have the space to host everybody's images. You need to put the images up somewhere else like brickshelf or flickr and deeplink them.